Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. X vs Manual

Featured Replies

Manual is a terrific school and has a great support system but if you are going to represent the Public School side of this discussion you have to remove your self from the “Manual Scene” and look at the majority of public schools. The pride is not there and Coach Stewart's words are right on the money. Notice that he didn't go into the reason it's no longer there he just stated the observation.
He brought up Manual, I think it is fair game to discuss it. It seems to me that the privates see schools like Manual as a threat on and off the field and want to go back to the good old days when the publics schools all tried real hard, but never had enough horses to pull the wagon across the line first. He is just trying to divert the issues brought up by the KHSAA Props and dump them on the Magnet schools, but the thing is he is wrong, it is not the magnets that changed school pride, the shifting of population, the growth of the community, the break down of the traditional family unit, all those have had a much more profound effect then Magnet schools have. In other words I don't begrudge him his opinion or right to say it, but the facts do not support his suppositions.
  • Replies 99
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good discussion tigershark. I am heading out to the game, good topic, lets pray for no injuries tonight on either side and a clean game!

The high schools in Jefferson County are large enough to be able to teach all levels. The have not schools of Jefferson County would benefit from the leadership that would be provided by having smart and motivated students that are now concentrated in very few schools. Most high schools in Jefferson County are larger than Trinity, yet Trinity has enough students to be able to teach to all levels. I think that the primary reason behind the magnet programs was to create a couple of schools that JCPS could point to and yell "See, we're just as good as the private schools". For every really good school they made, they also made a really bad one. That is the problem.

 

As a JCPS teacher that is a very true statement, or at least I feel it is.

  • Author
I think that the primary reason behind the magnet programs was to create a couple of schools that JCPS could point to and yell "See, we're just as good as the private schools". For every really good school they made, they also made a really bad one. That is the problem.

 

I believe the correct statement would be that for every really good school they made, they also made several bad ones.

 

This was a topic of numerous discussions in my graduate school classes several years ago and has been a problem for educators across the country for years. I also believe the lack of school pride and community is a direct byproduct.

Several Bad ones is correct. Enrollments shrunk big time at schools such as Valley, Western, Shawnee, and Moore when open enrollment started.

Several Bad ones is correct. Enrollments shrunk big time at schools such as Valley, Western, Shawnee, and Moore when open enrollment started.

And they're all going to Manual, right?!!

 

Please. I KNOW where Manual draws heaviest from, and the Southend is not at the top of the list. Even if there WAS no Manual or Male, no Manual kid would go to any of those schools, they'd go to PRP, Seneca or some other ADVANCED PROGRAM school (If they didn't go to X or T.) And if you think JCPS has the resources to staff, at the current education opportunity available, all schools with Adv. and AP classes, you're out of your mind.

I said nothing of Manual. I was talking open enrollment in general.

I said open enrollment. I said nothing of Manual. I was talking open enrollment in general.

And that's what the end of my post was for. If you get rid of open enrollment entirely, all you're doing is making sure you wreck the education of as many students as possible. I won't even get into what it would do to students in the West End.

 

Do you live in some sort of dream world where Moore was once known as the 'Athens on the Ohio?' My father graduated from Moore, and the stories he tells are less of a bastion of learning, and more of a loosely controlled occupied territory.

Nah, I 'm not fighting for Moore. We are doing quite well right now. Our enrollment has gone up the last 4 years and test scores have as well. A lot more of the kids in Highview are staying home at Moore. It has started to lose its bad reputation. But some schools are not doing well. Getting rid of open enrollment will not wreck education. If a kid wants to learn they will learn at any school. Not just Manual. If a kid wants a education at Shawnee he will get it.

Nah, I 'm not fighting for Moore. We are doing quite well right now. Our enrollment has gone up the last 4 years and test scores have well. A lot more of the kids in Highview are staying home at Moore. It has started to lose its bad reputation. But some schools are not doing well. Getting rid of open enrollment will not wreck education. If a kid wants to learn they will learn at any school. Not just Manual. If a kid wants a education at Shawnee he will get it.

But will he get the same level of education? The answer is no.

 

When I got into the advanced program as a child, it was like coming off rations and being allowed into a feast. You can't just say 'kids that want to learn will learn.' I know different. I was learning at my previous school, but nothing could compare to what I got from going to an advanced program school about as far away from my home as could be managed within the county. It was a long bus ride for an eight year old, if there was nothing being gained I wouldn't have continued with it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.