Strawberries or Watermelon?

Randy Parker

Strawberries or Watermelon?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Strawberries or Watermelon?

Strawberries and it is not even close for me.

Pie, milkshakes, plain it doesn't matter to me, those little suckers are great.

I am judging on the fruit itself. If we are getting into mixing one with sugar, eggs, milk, and other sinful things that make a glorious desert, then of course it is strawberries.

Strawberries by a mile and a half.

I've just never liked watermelon. It's not so much the taste as it is the texture.

I’m honestly that way about strawberries. The flavor is fine. I just hate the texture of strawberries.

I could eat strawberries basically every day of my life and not get sick of them. Watermelon though, I can only do when it's super hot out, and it has to be ice-cold, and a good watermelon. I can do mediocre strawberries, but not mediocre watermelon.

Gotta go with strawberries.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Semi-related....I remember reading somewhere a handful of years ago about a horticulturalist that did a kind of amateurish "study" on the types of watermelons that were readily available at supermarkets and farmers markets in the early 2000s. His finding was that there were essentially less than ten varieties available because most produce farmers were trying to grow watermelons that had thick, durable, dark-green striped rinds for the sake of shipping, in addition to having the kind of classic ruby-red flesh that everyone thinks of when they think of watermelons, minimal seeds inside, and large "grocery store size". He went about actively collecting all of the heirloom-variety seeds that he could from anywhere across the US that he could come across them, going so far as to just driving around rural farming areas in the middle of the summer and asking anyone he could find about they types of watermelons they had, and whether or not he could buy a watermelon from them for the seeds. Among other things, most of the smaller watermelons, and orange or yellow-fleshed watermelons that you start to see in some grocery stores are the direct result of his work.

His project eventually got into muskmelons (e.g. - cantaloupes and honeydews), and the larger assortment of those you can find in the produce sections of stores are also primarily a result of his work.

There is nothing like the Florida Strawberry Festival, held during March each year in Plant City. The best treat is still fresh strawberries on homemade short cake and topped with homemade whipped cream. I like watermelon, but I love strawberries.