The FA market is weird this year. What if ...

Jim Schue

... this stuff continues and Bryce Harper has no place to play? Or really, any of the others?

Can the Reds go even crazier than already and add a 1-year $30m contract for him or Machado? Or $20m for Keuchel or much less for Kimbrel? Just for laughs to try and compete in a silly-loaded division?

Can the Reds go even crazier than already and add a 1-year $30m contract for him or Machado? Or $20m for Keuchel or much less for Kimbrel? Just for laughs to try and compete in a silly-loaded division?

Could they? Sure.

Will they? No.

Harper likely ends up in San Diego, so let's take him off. Machado likely ends up in Philly, so scratch him. The Reds have moved on from Dallas Kuechel, so you can scratch him. I think the Realmuto deal still ultimately gets done and he is in Cincinnati this year. If you made me guess today, I think Philly also signs Craig Kimbrel, but he is the intriguing name you don't hear anyone talk about.

I still think Adam Jones and Denard Span are in play for the Reds, specifically if they can find a taker for Matt Kemp. The Dodgers are on the hook for half of Kemp's pay this year, I think the Reds are willing to eat the other half just to get him to an AL team for next to nothing. He will be a MAJOR CANCER in the clubhouse if he isn't playing much, which I don't expect he will.

Could they? Sure.

Will they? No.

Harper likely ends up in San Diego, so let's take him off. Machado likely ends up in Philly, so scratch him. The Reds have moved on from Dallas Kuechel, so you can scratch him. I think the Realmuto deal still ultimately gets done and he is in Cincinnati this year. If you made me guess today, I think Philly also signs Craig Kimbrel, but he is the intriguing name you don't hear anyone talk about.

I still think Adam Jones and Denard Span are in play for the Reds, specifically if they can find a taker for Matt Kemp. The Dodgers are on the hook for half of Kemp's pay this year, I think the Reds are willing to eat the other half just to get him to an AL team for next to nothing. He will be a MAJOR CANCER in the clubhouse if he isn't playing much, which I don't expect he will.

I shake my head whenever I see the "cancer in the clubhouse" comment about someone on a sports team. I don't get it with them. If I were a "cancer in the workplace", I would be reprimanded and/or shown the door.

I shake my head whenever I see the "cancer in the clubhouse" comment about someone on a sports team. I don't get it with them. If I were a "cancer in the workplace", I would be reprimanded and/or shown the door.

Major difference is these guys have multimillion dollar deals over multiple years and the $$ is 100% guaranteed. So if you caused issues at your work, you'd be shown the door and that'd be that. If a team gets rid of a "cancer", they're still on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars.

One thing people really hate doing is paying lots of money for people to not work for them.

Major difference is these guys have multimillion dollar deals over multiple years and the $$ is 100% guaranteed. So if you caused issues at your work, you'd be shown the door and that'd be that. If a team gets rid of a "cancer", they're still on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars.

One thing people really hate doing is paying lots of money for people to not work for them.

Ok, then I blame the clubs for bringing "cancer" into their "bodies".

Could they? Sure.

Will they? No.

I don't think Kemp would be overly happy either, but has to be a clubhouse upgrade from Homer Bailey.

I don't see Kemp being benched to the degree that most are saying. Last years numbers .290-BA .338-OBP .818-Slugging. 21HR 85RBI. Played 146 games in the Dodgers crowded outfield. They'll find AB's for him.

Barring injuries, if he is here on Opening Day, which I don't believe the Reds want, he will be half of a left / right platoon with Jesse Winker for left field. Since approximately 25% of starters are lefties, that would net him 40 starts. They do not want to have him on the team in April, they took him and half his salary because they had to, and he doesn't want to sit. He certainly is coming off a productive year, there is no question about that.

Barring injuries, if he is here on Opening Day, which I don't believe the Reds want, he will be half of a left / right platoon with Jesse Winker for left field. Since approximately 25% of starters are lefties, that would net him 40 starts. They do not want to have him on the team in April, they took him and half his salary because they had to, and he doesn't want to sit. He certainly is coming off a productive year, there is no question about that.

I haven't read or heard anything about the Reds not wanting him on the team in April other than comments in this thread. Is there info out there about this?

I haven't read or heard anything about the Reds not wanting him on the team in April other than comments in this thread. Is there info out there about this?

Publicly, the only place it was said was by Dick Williams to Mo Egger, when asked about Kemp being better-suited to be a DH, saying we are looking to make a lot more moves between now and getting to Goodyear. The inference was clear.

Nick Senzel will be the starting Centerfielder with the Reds sooner rather than later, that will push Puig to RF, and likely push Schebler to LF...which makes Hal Morriss, err, Jesse Winker and Matt Kemp extra outfielders.

Nick Senzel will be the starting Centerfielder with the Reds sooner rather than later, that will push Puig to RF, and likely push Schebler to LF...which makes Hal Morriss, err, Jesse Winker and Matt Kemp extra outfielders.

If that's the case Schebler, not Winker, should be the extra outfielder. Winker will be a much better offensive player than Schebler if you can live with his horrific defense.