Newport 53 Beechwood 52 (9th Region All A Classic)

Beechwood outplayed, outrebounded, and even had the refs in their camp and still lost this one.

The Tigers easily had 10+ offensive rebounds giving them lots of second chance points.

The refs called 2 pathetic fouls on Newport's McGuire keeping him on the bench more than he should have been.

Beiger from Beechwood had a tremendous game and was lights out from 3. Unfortunately he missed two floaters when the game was tied in the final 30 seconds, the last of which gave Newport 8 seconds which was way too much time to get up the court for the win.

Gotta give credit to the Wildcats. While they continue to show no offensive scheme, they kept their composure in a tough environment and scored 10 unanswered in the final 3 minutes.

You can’t let Harding catch the ball freely in that situation. You double him and deny and make someone else beat you. He’s too strong to keep out of the paint once he catches it at the top of he key with a spread floor.

Wow. Sounds like a great game. Sad I had to miss it. I refuse to miss the rematch at Newport on the 25th I believe. I have yet to see Draud play.

Not sure when that game will be if Newport were to win the All "A" 9th. The state tournament is January 24-27.

Completely disagree that Beechwood outplayed Newport. For a brief stretch they went up 9, but then to counter that Newport went on a 10-0 to end the game. On the road. Against a really good Beechwood team. Both teams played very hard. Give credit where it’s do.

From where I was sitting I would have to say Beechwood owned 12 minutes of the second half and then forgot to play the final 4 minutes. Beechwood pretty much owned the boards all night, really glad to see Newport storm back, great game.

You can’t let Harding catch the ball freely in that situation. You double him and deny and make someone else beat you. He’s too strong to keep out of the paint once he catches it at the top of he key with a spread floor.

After watching the clip online, the defense was certainly poor.

Great game and atmosphere last night. Two things in my opinion cost Beechwood the game.

1. 1st half Beechwood has 2 team fouls, you can’t let Harding drive the floor and score like he did right before half. Foul him make them take the ball out of bounds 2-3 times if you need too. Those 2 points cut a 4 point lead to 2 and shifted momentum going to the locker room.

2. As already started, Harding can’t get that pass at the end. I would have doubled Harding played McQuire and Miller straight up and see if one of the other two players can beat you. Once Harding got it at the top of the key he became dangerous.

Edited by kyag
Spelling