2019 Golf Thread

GrantNKY

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I will be in Florida for the next 5 months. I just got down here 2 days ago and was fortunate enough to play TPC Sawgrass. Can’t say enough about the whole experience. Obviously the last 3 holes are what you come for, but it’s everything that makes you want to come back. Pete Dye was a sick and twisted man for creating that golf course and I was extremely blessed to have been able to play it. We took a forecaddie, Chris, and he was excellent. The guy did everything for us besides hit the ball and he kept us laughing the hole round. He has caddied for George W Bush and Marcus Allen has him on speed dial every time he’s in town. World class experience. The course kicked my butt, but I will definitely make my way back up there before I leave Florida to make up for my poor play today.

In Ft. Myers thru March. As a retiree and recent bucket list golf trip to Australia, can't afford many of these 3 figure greens fees as many times as I plan to play. So playing Ft. Myers Country Club at $52 a pop for morning walkers. It is actually a great public course designed by Donald Ross. Canal running thru it makes for a hearty pint for yourself if you can make it a one ball round.

I'm not nearly as good as all you guys. This year, I want to improve my consistency and take the success that I have on the driving range out to the course. I currently struggle with consistency on different elevations (ball at different level and position than my feet). I'd at least like to play for fun at different courses around the Cincy area (I'm in a Friday night league at Twin Oaks and that is all the time that I can play).

I used to be pretty good (5-6 index), and now I'm not (9.7 index). I used to play 50+ rounds a year, last year I played less than 20. I can't imagine that increases much in 2019. So playing less often makes me worse, and playing worse makes it WAY less fun. Way less fun makes me want to not play at all.

A vicious circle.

Excited for the 2019 season.

My potential first round of the year will be at the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island. I'm playing there in mid-March.

I'm also excited to be a new member at Greenbrier CC in Lexington. Hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

Excited for the 2019 season.

My potential first round of the year will be at the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island. I'm playing there in mid-March.

I'm also excited to be a new member at Greenbrier CC in Lexington. Hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

What is the membership like at Greenbrier? I’ve heard good things.

I used to be pretty good (5-6 index), and now I'm not (9.7 index). I used to play 50+ rounds a year, last year I played less than 20. I can't imagine that increases much in 2019. So playing less often makes me worse, and playing worse makes it WAY less fun. Way less fun makes me want to not play at all.

A vicious circle.

Sounds familiar. Except I play even less, and have gotten even worse. The biggest problem is I still feel like I can hit the shots I used to, and now more often than not, just get myself in lots of trouble. I really need new clubs. My current sticks fit the younger, fitter, better player I used to be, not the rapidly aging, less fit hack that I currently am.

What is the membership like at Greenbrier? I’ve heard good things.

As far as what?

I know the golf course is great. We've also heard great things about their kids activities (swim team, camps, etc.) and their social events. While we live 25 minutes away, I think it'll be a nice change of scenery for us.

As far as what?

I know the golf course is great. We've also heard great things about their kids activities (swim team, camps, etc.) and their social events. While we live 25 minutes away, I think it'll be a nice change of scenery for us.

Course conditions, people, events, and value.

Sounds familiar. Except I play even less, and have gotten even worse. The biggest problem is I still feel like I can hit the shots I used to, and now more often than not, just get myself in lots of trouble. I really need new clubs. My current sticks fit the younger, fitter, better player I used to be, not the rapidly aging, less fit hack that I currently am.

Hear your pain and would whole-heartedly suggest get a professional fitting before you invest in new clubs. No question we are not physically what we once were and that dictates the need to play with the right equipment. If you are from NKy I can give you a good suggestion. The fitting technology available is ten-folf superior to fittings of the past. Don't quit on the game, just enjoy the journey that still can be rewarding.

Course conditions, people, events, and value.

The course is great. Zoysia fairways, great greens. Very fair test of golf.

They actually had a deal (it ended in December) where if you live in a non-bordering county your initiation fee was $3000 and your monthly payment was $190/month. That's what we did.

Their event calendar for 2018 was full of things for every walk of life. Lots of family events, which is what we were looking for.