9th Region Week 5 Review: The 9th Represented well in Holiday Tournaments!!!!

PP1

We all love this game. We remember coaches and teammates for the rest of our lives. We replay games and even specific plays in our minds as we get older. But alas, it is a mere game. When a member of the basketball brotherhood passes away, even those of us that were not close to him feel the loss. I only knew Bob Burkhart from Starbucks and even then, we never exchanged names. I remember he gave my son a High-Five once and I have read stories about him training young officials and leaving a positive mark in this community. I am reminded of a time when Jesus told a crowd of people “whatever you do for the least of these, you do to me.” It sounds like Bobby did some good things for anyone who crossed his path.

So as we look at my rankings and enjoy the good competition this week (Friday and Saturday are loaded in the 8th, 9th, and 10th) let's keep in mind that High School basketball is a way for us to enjoy and love life, but it is not all there is to life.

1. Cooper (12-2): Cooper lost to University Heights this week but rebounded with two victories on consecutive days. They do not play again until the 4th when they host district opponent Boone County High School. Blaine Walters and TJ Deere are both shooting close to 40% from 3-point range this year. That’s pretty solid; as is this team.

2. Beechwood (12-2): The Tigers got on a roll over the Holidays before losing in the Lake Cumberland Championship to Aiken High School out of Cincinnati. Newport is pushing them for this spot but the Tigers can hang on to their victory over Campbell County for now in order to stay #2.

3. Newport (12-2): Newport won 3 games in 4 days against quality competition. They did lose to University Heights in the championship of the Traditional Bank Classic. Donnie Miller joined the 1,000-point club. It is quite an honor. Newport hosts Covington Catholic on January 2nd. If the wife allows, I will try to sneak out to see this one.

4. Covington Catholic (10-4): I dropped the Colonels to #4 this week, perhaps out of ignorance. I have a pretty good feel for the quality of Newport’s opponents and know little about the teams that Covington Catholic played this week. The boys can make a statement with their game against Newport on the 2nd, Newport previously defeated Highlands whom beat Covington Catholic earlier this year.

5. Highlands (8-4): Highlands won 2 of 3 games in Florida and play one more game on Monday. Assuming this is a bracket tournament, they should be playing for 3rd place. The Bluebirds play two Kenton County High Schools this weekend in Scott High and Simon Kenton. If they can win both these games, coupled with a Newport victory against Covington Catholic, then the Bluebirds would move up the ladder at least one spot.

6. Lloyd Memorial (7-3): Lloyd only played once this week and they defeated the Ryle Raiders. I sat in the stands for this one and noticed a Sophomore Guard named Zaire Monroe. I was very impressed with this young man’s effort and ability and will follow his stats and development closely throughout the rest of the year. Zaire is averaging 8 points a game this year with an 89.5 FT%. Lloyd plays Villa Madonna in a 34th District match and host, 8th Region opponent, Henry County.

7. Conner (6-6): Conner went 1-2 this week but had a good showing against Oldham County. The OC Colonels beat the Cougars by ten in overtime. This is the same Oldham County team that beat Highlands by 4 and almost pulled off an upset win against the Bearcats @ Walton Verona. Conner also defeated Holy Cross (Covington) by 19 points. Conner plays Covington Catholic on January 4th and, while I do not predict a win, I would consider it a good showing if they were within 15 points.

8. Newport Central Catholic (5-8) No one in this middle group wants to separate. New Cath did play well against a very good Wayne County team. Evan Mullikin scored 22 points in their win against Russell County. Coach Collopy’s boys play West Jessamine on the 5th.

9. Dixie Heights (5-9): Dixie played three times and each game was decided by less than 6 points. The Colonels won one of the games and host the Ryle Raiders this Friday. Dixie has not posted any stats on the KHSAA website this week so I am not sure who played well this week.

10. St. Henry (3-8): It’s hard to know what to do with teams that don’t play for a 7 days. Since Holmes and Holy Cross lost 3 games this week and Dixie and NCC added to their win total, I felt that some movement was appropriate. The Crusaders play Dayton and Lexington Catholic this week.

11. Holy Cross (4-8): The Indians lost 3 games this week. They played West Jessamine within ten points and, at that point, the Colts only had three losses on the year. Coach Grammar seems determined to build this program and hopes their current 4 game losing streak ends with a victory against the same Grant County team that started it. Coach Grammar previously won two district championships at Grant County in 2014 and 2015.

12. Holmes (4-10): Holmes drops a few slots this week. I probably had them a little too high previously. The Dawgs have lost four straight and 9 of their last ten games. They play 10th Region Bishop Brossart on the 3rd followed by another 37th team in Scott on the 7th

13. Ludlow (7-6): Ludlow is in the midst of a two-week break from games. I hope they do not show any rust when they travel to Bellevue on Friday. I’ll say this though, I was surprised that Dan Sullivan became their coach. Not many well-established coaches go to small schools after being in successful programs for several years. The Panthers got a good opportunity to get quality coaching.

14. Ryle (2-9): Ryle lost to Lloyd on Saturday to drop to 2-9. They play Dixie, Boone County, and Bellevue this week. The Raiders have enough bodies to win all three of these games. IF they can finish around the rim and rebound well, it could be a turning point for their season.

15. Villa Madonna (5-8): The Vikings lost a close won against a team from Alabama over the Holidays. They travel to Lloyd on the 3rd for a district match-up.

16. Boone County (3-10): Coach McQueary’s group went 2-1 this week and their only loss was by a single bucket. I will eat crow on this one, I stated they would not win until after the ball dropped in NYC. Good job Rebels and good luck this week in your two district games (Ryle and Cooper).

17. Bellevue (3-9): The Tigers were over-matched in their three games @ Lexington Catholic this week. They will look to break an 8-game losing streak when they travel to Bracken County on Wednesday.

18. Dayton (3-10): The Devils won a game in the Williamstown Tournament. They host St. Henry on Wednesday and travel to Heritage next Monday. Their leading scorer is Michael Marksberry.

19. Heritage Academy (1-6): Heritage lost two games this week against other small schools. The play Saturday @ Covington Latin (I do not know where Covington Latin’s gym is).

20. Covington Latin (0-8) Latin does not play until Saturday.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People on this board were saying that AJ Mayer would not be returning last year when he was injured, with no knowledge. What people don’t realize is AJ and Big Mike’s 1st love is hoops, and until their time expires, they will play as much as they can.