Washington Post Article About 1993 Prestonsburg Team

DragonFire

Fantastic article about a magical team and a devastating loss that haunts the players 25 years later.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-game-of-their-lives-was-25-years-ago-theyre-still-replaying-it-in-their-minds/2018/12/20/92a95044-ff22-11e8-83c0-b06139e540e5_story.html?utm_term=.007dab62b088

I definitely concurred with the statement in the article that the win did not mean nearly as much to Mayfield as the loss did to Prestonsburg. The individual players on Mayfield may of course disagree, but it's difficult for some of these schools who get a shot once in a generation only to lose to the powerhouse.

Does anyone here have any personal memories of that state title game?

Yeah its tough being on the losing end of a great season. I know a couple of those guys that were seniors at Mayfield in '93....and they would staunchly disagree that the loss meant more to P-burg than the win did to Mayfield. Starting the season with a 2-3 record and finishing as champs is pretty incredible.

That was a great read and great memories. For my money that Pburg win over Danville was one of the biggest upsets in KY History.

Danville obliterated Belfry 53-14 in the Pike County Bowl in 93. That was literally the most over-matched I have ever seen a Belfry team in my lifetime. Belfry has taken some beatings to great teams, but Danville easily could have won by 70 if they wanted that day. They called the dogs off in the 2nd Half. Danville ran a toss sweep and literally could have scored on it every time.

I remembered thinking Danville had no chance of losing in Class 2A. Belfry played Pburg a few weeks later at Pburg and only lost 12-3. Belfry finished 4-7 in '93 with a first round loss to Cawood.

When Pburg beat Danville it literally shocked the entire State.

'93 was also the first time Belfry played Ironton, Ohio. Ironton won 47-14.

That was a LOADED Tiger team with Jermon Jackson at RB (Went on to Ohio State). Ironton was the State Runner-Up that year in Ohio Division 3.

Danville was a far superior team to even that great Ironton squad that year.

My favorite part of the article:

While the referee, George Yeast, believes he made the correct call, he lived then and now with his own high school horror. He still blamed the referees in Bardstown, Ky., in 1974, for his Harrodsburg team’s lost chance to play for a state title, when an 8-6 loss groaned with his own two touchdowns called back.

“When he [Hyden] crossed the goal line, my head went up and I said, ‘Oh my god, he scored,’ ” Yeast said, knowing it wouldn’t count. “It made me sick, too. And I thought, I’m taking away a perfect season . . . I’m still sick to my stomach when I think about it.”

I think it is easy to paint officials in the wrong light as either some heartless object that is a robotic aspect of the game... or as some villain who only wants to see chaos. This quote shows that even when they feel they are doing the right thing an emotional aspect still reigns and affects the officials.

I saw Prestonsburg come to Russell for the regional final that year. The thing I remember most was the “get off” of their offensive line and the surge they consistently got on Russell's front seven. I can't remember if it was Hyden or not, but they had a running back that carried tacklers for five or six yards every time he ran the ball. They just kept methodically moving the chains, eventually prevailing 21-0. That was a great team.

The game film from the state finals versus Mayfield used to be available online somewhere. I just don't remember where, exactly.

I saw Prestonsburg come to Russell for the regional final that year. The thing I remember most was the “get off” of their offensive line and the surge they consistently got on Russell's front seven. I can't remember if it was Hyden or not, but they had a running back that carried tacklers for five or six yards every time he ran the ball. They just kept methodically moving the chains, eventually prevailing 21-0. That was a great team.

The game film from the state finals versus Mayfield used to be available online somewhere. I just don't remember where, exactly.

You can get them on DVDs from EKU’s lirbrary. I think they are around 20.00 or so.