Brian Kelly

futurecoach

I know a lot of people around here dont like him for how he left UC. Some dont like him just for his personally and other things.

However I know I have seen some over the years like to say he isnt that good of a coach. So I want to know what everyone else truly thinks.

Currently he has now been undefeated through the regular season three times. Once with UC, and now twice with Notre Dame.

Imo you have Saban, Meyer, and Dabo at the top tier. However I think Kelly now should be right on top in terms of the next tier for what he has done.

As much as people dont like him. If he can find away to eventually win a National title. He will be right up there in terms of accomplishments. Especially when you add 3 undefeated regular seasons to his resume now.

I know a lot of people around here dont like him for how he left UC. Some dont like him just for his personally and other things.

However I know I have seen some over the years like to say he isnt that good of a coach. So I want to know what everyone else truly thinks.

Currently he has now been undefeated through the regular season three times. Once with UC, and now twice with Notre Dame.

Imo you have Saban, Meyer, and Dabo at the top tier. However I think Kelly now should be right on top in terms of the next tier for what he has done.

As much as people dont like him. If he can find away to eventually win a National title. He will be right up there in terms of accomplishments. Especially when you add 3 undefeated regular seasons to his resume now.

Meh, I'm indifferent I suppose.

I'd definitely put Jimbo Fischer ahead of him with the other 3 you mentioned. I was actually going to mention those exact 3 until I kept reading.

I'd have to ponder the others but I feel comfortable in saying there's likely 3-4 guys I'd put ahead of Kelly.

IMO, you put Fischer at ND and he's in the Championship game within 2-3 years.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dabo Sweeney

3. Kirby Smart

4. Urban Meyer

5. Chris Peterson

6. Lincoln Riley

7. Brian Kelly

Now if we're basing it off overall resume, I would rank him around where you did, but as far as me starting a new team today, and I can go sign whoever I want, those 6 rank above him.

Meh, I'm indifferent I suppose.

I'd definitely put Jimbo Fischer ahead of him with the other 3 you mentioned. I was actually going to mention those exact 3 until I kept reading.

I'd have to ponder the others but I feel comfortable in saying there's likely 3-4 guys I'd put ahead of Kelly.

IMO, you put Fischer at ND and he's in the Championship game within 2-3 years.

Fair enough. Jimbo does have a title, so can't argue that to much. Is there only 4 active coaches who won titles? Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and Jimbo? Well I guess Les Miles since he is back now. Is there only 5 then?

The only thing I want to wait and see on Jimbo is he wasnt short on being able to get talent at FSU. Yet Dabo was taking over that conference even with Jimbo there. So did much of the success Jimbo had come because he had a great college Qb in Winston or not? I guess time will tell during his time at Texas AM.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dabo Sweeney

3. Kirby Smart

4. Urban Meyer

5. Chris Peterson

6. Lincoln Riley

7. Brian Kelly

Now if we're basing it off overall resume, I would rank him around where you did, but as far as me starting a new team today, and I can go sign whoever I want, those 6 rank above him.

Very good list. I think it may be a little early to put Lincoln Riley there yet. Its only been two years. He was blessed with taking over as the head man with a great qb and leader in Mayfield and now just a great athlete and QB this year. So will be interesting to see how he does the years coming forward with putting a whole team together.

People also can't forget. Notre Dame before Kelly was being questioned if they can ever get back into the national picture. With their academic standards and people thinking Notre Dame didnt stand out to kids anymore. There were many saying Notre Dame wouldn't ever truly get back. Notre Dame was pretty bad for a long time after Lou Holtz left in the early 90s. They didn't win a bowl game in forever.

Brian Kelly got Notre Dame back in the National picture. One national title game already. Now in the playoffs this year. A few years ago they were a last second lost a way in the last game of the year to Stanford from being in the discussion for the playoffs that year too.

Plus he took UC and basically gave them their best season ever and had their program on great footing.

So far I definitely get some of the names mentioned. But I do think Brian Kelly gets underrated by many for the job he has done at places.

Very good list. I think it may be a little early to put Lincoln Riley there yet. Its only been two years. He was blessed with taking over as the head man with a great qb and leader in Mayfield and now just a great athlete and QB this year. So will be interesting to see how he does the years coming forward with putting a whole team together.

I can agree with that argument on Lincoln Riley, and his defense is leaving a lot to be desired as well. Time will tell.

...and one year ago, well, 13 months ago, there were intelligent men debating on whether or not it was time to fire him. Heck, there was an article about the 5 reasons to fire Brian Kelly following the Miami loss last year. Now, a year later, we are trying to nudge him into the small room at the top of the coaching pyramid. What a difference a year makes!

Glad our society isn't the least bit reactionary. :idunno:

Edited by The Double Deuce

1. Nick Saban

2. Dabo Sweeney

3. Kirby Smart

4. Urban Meyer

5. Chris Peterson

6. Lincoln Riley

7. Brian Kelly

Jimbo Fisher?

1. Nick Saban

2. Dabo Sweeney

3. Kirby Smart

4. Urban Meyer

5. Chris Peterson

6. Lincoln Riley

7. Brian Kelly

I think that's a pretty sound argument. Kelly took over a program that essentially gets a lot of its recruiting done by just mentioning its name, and has done extremely well with it. That's not a discredit to him...just the truth.

I need to see a few more years of Kirby Smart in head coaching before I would ever think about putting him as 3rd best in the NCAA. I'd say the same of Lincoln Riley.

Petersen is great and has done incredible things at Boise and Washington, and I think he needs a team appearance in the finals to get a nod over Kelly.

1) Nick Saban

2) Dabo Swinney

3) Urban Meyer

4) Brian Kelly

5) Jimbo Fisher

6) Kirby Smart

T7) Chris Petersen

T7) Lincoln Riley

There is Saban and Dabo.

Then there is the rest IMO. I guess there is actually about 7 or 8 coaches and most have been mentioned above that are the 2nd tier. Kelly is that 2nd tier for sure.

I'd add Urban to go along with those two. Then there is a gap after those three.