Trick Plays

Tigerpride94

What is your thoughts on them? I noticed in St.X game, while driving down the field, they tried a halfback pass that got picked off by Bowling Green. These plays seem like high risk/reward. It seems if you are moving the ball, why take a chance? It seems some Coaches use them and others don’t.

What is your thoughts on them? I noticed in St.X game, while driving down the field, they tried a halfback pass that got picked off by Bowling Green. These plays seem like high risk/reward. It seems if you are moving the ball, why take a chance? It seems some Coaches use them and others don’t.

Coach Wallace LOVES that halfback pass play. I played for him at BG in 90s and we ran it then. He'll run that play almost once a game in close battles for some reason. We did it on a third down play late in the fourth quarter in the final four game in 1998, which fell incomplete. But to be fair the play was open, the ball was just overthrown.

I've never been a fan of the term "Trick" play. I think all plays are designed to exploit the defense and deception is one of the hallmarks of offenses such as the Wing T and Double Wing. They are all just "Plays" to me. Heck, by most people's definition, a Play-Action Pass is a trick play.

But, I still think the half-back pass, the fake punt , double pass and the quick-kick are some of the best plays and are often under-utilized.

I don't have a problem with them exactly, it's when they are utilized that seems to separate one coach from another. Some coaches just seem to have the ability to know exactly when to use them. As far as the actual plays go, anything that uses up an opposing teams film time, practice time and concentration to defend against them can only help you.

The most famous “trick plays” in history were invented by some of the most legendarily creative and innovative coaches in the history of the game. Amos Alonzo Stagg invented the Statue of Liberty Play. The hidden ball trick was devised by John Heisman. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

A good play is a good play.

A "trick" play has to be called at the correct point in time. And it has to be a direct play off of something you've been doing well. If you're throwing it 80% of the time and aren't good at running the ball, then a halfback pass might not be the best option. Because they aren't keying in on stopping the run, and they're already thinking pass anyway.

But, if you're killing a team with something, having a trick or wrinkle off of that, can win a lot of games. Once people have seen it, and you've scored off of it, they have to always prepare for that being a possibility. And if they don't, then they're going to give up some points on it.

As far as the guy at Pulaski Academy (coach who never punts), I think if you practice that and use that as your identity, then more power to you.

I love seeing a disciplined defense do their job and blow up a trick play. I don't have a problem with trick plays because they only work if a defense doesn't have discipline.

In fact, the more I think about it the less problem people should have with a trick play. Isn't there deception in every play design? Misdirection, play fakes, disguised alignments, etc. The only reason some plays are called trick plays is because they aren't run as frequently.

Edited by Voice of Reason

A "trick" play has to be called at the correct point in time. And it has to be a direct play off of something you've been doing well. If you're throwing it 80% of the time and aren't good at running the ball, then a halfback pass might not be the best option. Because they aren't keying in on stopping the run, and they're already thinking pass anyway.

But, if you're killing a team with something, having a trick or wrinkle off of that, can win a lot of games. Once people have seen it, and you've scored off of it, they have to always prepare for that being a possibility. And if they don't, then they're going to give up some points on it.

As far as the guy at Pulaski Academy (coach who never punts), I think if you practice that and use that as your identity, then more power to you.

Good insight.