Louisville Power Rankings: Pre-Season

TheDeuce

Bluegrasspreps.com is excited to provide Regional Power Rankings for the entire state by breaking the state into five regions: Eastern Kentucky, Central Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Western Kentucky and the Louisville Area. The Power Rankings will overview which teams are at the top in their region, regardless of class. The weight of wins and loses are subjective to the quality of the opponents and the team's performance. This means all wins or losses will not be seen as equal.

In addition to the Top 10 in each region, the Power Rankings will include: two Big Risers of the week that are moving up but have not yet made it into the Top 10, two Big Droppers of the week that have dropped further away from the Top 10, the Game of the Week that you won't want to miss reading about, and the Player of the Week for each region.

Below is the Pre-Season Edition of the Louisville Area Power Rankings!

1. Trinity (6A State Champions, 15-0)

The Shamrocks will be looking for their third consecutive 6A State Championship as they head into the 2018 season. The Rocks graduated QB Nick Bohn and WR Rondale Moore, but do return their two leading rushers from 2017, Luke McGuire and Gereimah Smith. Senior DE and Stanford commit Stephen Herron will anchor the Rocks defense again this season, and look to lead them back to another state title.

2. St. Xavier (6A Runner Up, 12-3)

The Tigers fell to their arch rivals in the 6A Championship in December, but the story around this program is the change at the top of the ladder, with the hiring of former Bowling Green Coach Kevin Wallace. With years of success at BG, Wallace looks to utilize the talent and depth at St. X, and look for a difference in the Tigers’ offense in the coming season. Returning four seniors to a stingy defense from a year ago will make St. X a problem on defense again in 2018.

3. Male (6A Third Round, 9-3)

After a disappointing second round exit from the 2017 playoffs, the Bulldogs will look to re-establish their spot in Louisville’s “Big 3.” With senior RB Henry Vestal who rushed for over 1,000 yards a season ago returning, look for Male to use him to open up their passing game. They also return three veteran defenders who accounted for over 200 tackles last season, in Joe Kuerzi, Dallas Douglass and Jack Lucas.

4. Christian Academy - Louisville (2A Semifinals, 11-3)

Coming off a hard fought loss to Mayfield in the 2A Semifinals a year ago, The Centurions are once again loaded on the offensive side of the ball, even with the departure of their QB from a year ago, Austin Carr. CAL returns Brandt Babin (Soph., 736 rushing yards), Harrison Zimmerer (Jr., 388 rushing yards), and Milton Wright (Sr., 346 rushing, 685 receiving yards). The Centurions will also be very solid on defense, with Austin Collins, Luke Paulson, and Jake Taylor chasing down ball carriers. If Coach LeFors can find a replacement for Carr, watch out for CAL.

5. DeSales (2A Third Round, 12-1)

The Colts were dominant for the majority of the 2017 campaign, but eventually lost to their crosstown rivals, CAL, in the third round of the 2A playoffs. They return senior QB Aaron Pfaadt who did a great job in 2017 distributing the wealth around to his teammates, and the Colts will look to him to lead them again in 2018.

6. Elizabethtown (3A Semifinals, 12-2)

The Panthers had an impressive showing in 2017, falling only to CAL, and eventual 3A State Champion, Boyle County. The question for E-town will be how they will replace the offense produced by graduating seniors Jay Becherer, Tyler Durbin and Jey Gregory. If the Panthers can do so, look for them to be a force again in 3A.

7. Central (3A Semifinals, 11-3)

With only three losses in 2017, two of which came by two local 6A schools, the Yellow Jackets look to post another impressive run in 2018. Returning offensive leaders Mykah Williams and Ukrari Baker will pave the way for Central this season.

8. Collins (4A Semifinals, 11-3)

The Titans fell just one game short of playing for a 4A State Championship in 2017, and will have the task of replacing the dynamic JR Lucas’ 3,700 yards. Leading WR Sicari Toole returns for his senior season, and will look to lead the Titan offense.

9. Central Hardin (6A Semifinals, 10-4)

Coming off a deep playoff run in 2017, the Bruins will return senior QB Jacob Hobbs and RB Josh Volentine to a team that lost in the 6A Semifinals to eventual champion, Trinity. Can Central Hardin build off last year and make another run to the title?

10. South Oldham (5A Second Round, 10-2)

The Dragons posted an impressive 10-game winning streak during the 2017 season, but fell to eventual 5A State Champion Covington Catholic in the playoffs. They return RB Keaton Martin who will likely be the focus of the Dragon offense in 2018.

Game of the Week: Week 1

6A St. Xavier vs. 2A DeSales

Both teams coming off disappointing end to their 2017 season will be looking to make a statement early with this incredible Week 1 matchup. The Tigers will travel eight miles to take on the Colts in what will surely be the best game in the region on opening weekend.

Players to Watch

#7 Stephen Herron, DE, Trinity

#42 Anthony Moretti, RB, Saint Xavier

#6 Henry Vestal, RB, Male

#3 Milton Wright, WR, Christian Academy - Louisville

#18 Aaron Pfaadt, QB, DeSales

#4 Joseph Becherer, LB, Elizabethtown

#9 Mykah Williams, RB, Central

#1 Sicari Toole, WR, Collins

#5 Josh Volentine, RB, Central Hardin

#21 Keaton Martin, RB, South Oldham

Key Regular Season Match-Ups

6A Trinity vs. 6A Male 9/7/18

6A Trinity vs. 6A St. Xavier 9/28/18

6A St. Xavier vs. 2A DeSales 8/17/18

6A St. Xavier vs. 6A Male 10/12/18

2A DeSales vs. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville 10/5/18

3A Elizabethtown vs. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville 9/7/18

3A Central vs. 6A St. Xavier 9/14/18

4A Collins vs. 3A Boyle County 9/14/18

6A Central Hardin vs. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville 8/31/18

5A South Oldham vs. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville 8/17/18

I could not put Central Hardin above Butler. Maybe they are above PRP due to the losses PRP had to graduation, but Butler beat Male and Ryle last year. Also, Central Hardin only made it deep into the playoffs because of the bracket structure. They only had to play western schools to get to the semifinals and their game against Trinity was no contest (49-3). This year they are up against district 3 (Male, St. X, etc) because of cross-bracketing and it's possible that all the teams in district 2 will go out in the first round.

I agree with Tigerpride94 - Butler's absence stands out to me. I think they're nipping at the heels of CAL and Male, especially after the addition of Jordan Watkins from DeSales.

Look for South Oldham to shoot up the Louisville-Metro rankings if they can grab a win over CAL in the opening weekend of the season.

What has happened to Manual H.S.? They wanted out of the district that included Male, and Trinity, and Saint Xavier. Since this happened it has been downhill from there. They have a very good coach leading the program so i don’t think that is it.

Can some of you Crimson fans explain things.

What has happened to Manual H.S.? They wanted out of the district that included Male, and Trinity, and Saint Xavier. Since this happened it has been downhill from there. They have a very good coach leading the program so i don’t think that is it.

Can some of you Crimson fans explain things.

Sinbad, I am not an insider by any means, but my daugher goes to Manual. When Coach Lucas left after the 2015 season he reported he was not going to return and found a home at George Rodgers Clark. At that time or likely before, he stopped "inquiring" about future football players coming into the school. At Manual the Application is more difficult than most college applications. So basically Coach Carmony, who I agree is a good coach, has to bridge at least a year of no real attention to ensuring football players are coming into the school.

I heard last season that Manuals Freshman Team went undefeated. So that is obviously good.

I think Manual usually is in the Top 5 or 6 or 7 football schools in 6A. They just usually can't beat the top teams. Many have this problem...

When I was a kid and saw the 1959 Manual team play all their home schedule at Manual stadium I wanted to attend Manual and play football and baseball there.

Sadly for me we moved out to the county and I was stuck with going to a school I had no connection with. All the older athletes I knew were Crimsons. I have always pulled for Manual and wish them the very best. I would love to see them playing championship football once again.

When I was a kid and saw the 1959 Manual team play all their home schedule at Manual stadium I wanted to attend Manual and play football and baseball there.

Sadly for me we moved out to the county and I was stuck with going to a school I had no connection with. All the older athletes I knew were Crimsons. I have always pulled for Manual and wish them the very best. I would love to see them playing championship football once again.

Sherman Lewis, Steve Wright, Wilbur Hackett, et al. .......

Sinbad, I am not an insider by any means, but my daugher goes to Manual. When Coach Lucas left after the 2015 season he reported he was not going to return and found a home at George Rodgers Clark. At that time or likely before, he stopped "inquiring" about future football players coming into the school. At Manual the Application is more difficult than most college applications. So basically Coach Carmony, who I agree is a good coach, has to bridge at least a year of no real attention to ensuring football players are coming into the school.

I heard last season that Manuals Freshman Team went undefeated. So that is obviously good.

I think Manual usually is in the Top 5 or 6 or 7 football schools in 6A. They just usually can't beat the top teams. Many have this problem...

It’s DOCTOR Lucas! not Coach Lucas.

Please note that is me picking on DOCTOR Lucas not you and his insistence on being addressed Dr. not merely as a Coach.