Best Rivalries

Guest Birdman 44

Guest Birdman 44

Who is your team's biggest rival? divisional or otherwise? Secondary rival?

Has the rivalry changed to a different team? I know Highlands biggest rival was Newport back in the 50s.

Everyone knows about X & T. Is Male in there for a 3-way rivalry?

In Northern Kentucky there is:

Cov Cath & Highlands

Beechwood & Cov Cath

Beechwood & New Cath

Bellevue & Dayton

Is Cooper's biggest rival Ryle or Boone? I have no idea.

I feel like I've heard stories about a rivalry between Belfry and someone, but I forget who it was.

I guess I'm bored waiting for football....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayfield vs. Paducah-Tilghman is a 100+ year old rivalry.

Trinity vs. St. X is 50+ years old.

Trinity vs. Flaget was 50+ years old when Flaget closed.

Manual vs. Male "The Old Rivalry" is one of the oldest high school football rivalries in the country, although the results have changed the rivalry quite a bit since JCPS switched to the magnet school system. It's been played since 1893. There's a pretty cool little blurb about it on Manual's Wikipedia page.

Is a rivalry's age the streak they've played eachother every year? Or the first time the two teams played? Or just the number of times played?

Is a rivalry's age the streak they've played eachother every year? Or the first time the two teams played? Or just the number of times played?

This is a discussion that's been hashed out quite a few times on here over the years, but it's always entertaining to bring it back up and see what folks have to say about it.

I, for one, don't think rivalries are created simply by the number of times a team plays. Cov Cath and Dixie Heights have played 44 times over the 50 years that Cov Cath has played varsity football, but Dixie has only won 7 times. It was always good to beat the "Red Colonels", but it never felt like much of a rivalry.

That said, I think there has to be some kind of regularity to the teams playing each other in order to make it a rivalry. I think the biggest factor, though, is that the people inside of both of those programs has to feel like it's a rivalry. It's not necessarily something for "outsiders" to be judges of.

Who is your team's biggest rival? divisional or otherwise? Secondary rival?

Has the rivalry changed to a different team? I know Highlands biggest rival was Newport back in the 50s.

Everyone knows about X & T. Is Male in there for a 3-way rivalry?

In Northern Kentucky there is:

Cov Cath & Highlands

Beechwood & Cov Cath

Beechwood & New Cath

Bellevue & Dayton

Is Cooper's biggest rival Ryle or Boone? I have no idea.

I feel like I've heard stories about a rivalry between Belfry and someone, but I forget who it was.

I guess I'm bored waiting for football....

How many of these games have been competitive in the last 20 years? 10 total?

St.X vs Male has always been a good rivalry. Schools aren’t that far apart and were district foes for many years. Teams have always been competitive against each other. Male has always been X’s public school rival. Manual would be after Male for some of same reasons mentioned for Male.

I played in Betsy Layne High School in the late 80's and early 90's. We hated Prestonsburg with a passion, and we considered it our biggest rivalry. Both schools are in Floyd County and are in the county school system. During our school's history, we have only beaten Prestonsburg once that being in 1986, so I'm not sure if that would be considered a rivalry or not. I do know I loathed the Blackcats.