Best Rivalries

Guest Birdman 44

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big rivalry back in the day among catholic high schools was Saint Xavier vs Flaget. Not Trinity vs Flaget. Trinity did not reach their full potential until Flaget High school closed. Most Flaget people then threw their support to Trinity. The first several head coaches at Trinity were former Braves.

The big rivalry back in the day among catholic high schools was Saint Xavier vs Flaget. Not Trinity vs Flaget. Trinity did not reach their full potential until Flaget High school closed. Most Flaget people then threw their support to Trinity. The first several head coaches at Trinity were former Braves.

You're right...that was my mistake. I meant to say St. X vs. Flaget.

Raceland/Paintsville have met ten times in the past five years with the series deadlocked at five each since Chirico became the Tigers' head coach. The rivalry currently has a lot of heat to it and is arguably the best rivalry going in 1A.

2013 - Raceland swept both meetings convincingly.

2014 - Raceland again swept the Tigers, but Paintsville showed dramatic improvement in the playoff rematch.

2015 - Paintsville turned the tide in their favor by sweeping the Rams. To Raceland's credit, they pushed Paintsville to the brink in the playoffs after getting hammered 50-7 in the regular season.

2016 - Another Paintsville sweep, but both games were extremely tight.

2017 - Paintsville takes the regular season meeting in fairly routine fashion. Raceland laughs last, though, as two Gunnur Lewis pick six's in the final minutes sealed the Rams victory in the playoff rematch.

Expect two more meetings in 2018.

A decent rivalry years ago was Bishop David H.S. And DeSales. Then,for a few years the Colts vs Holy Cross. In a very few years i don’t see Holy Cross even able to field a football team. The school is tiny and getting smaller by the year. The rivalry i enjoy is, DeSales vs Louisville Christian Academy. This is a new rivalry but a very intense

Rivalry.

Conner

Without question. While most Cooper-Ryle games have strong interest in the battle of Union, the Cooper-Conner game will always bring out highest intensity when they meet. Been some knockdown drag outs over the last several years because there is ZERO love loss between these two.

They've played 104 times. This year will make 105.

In my mind, Mayfield will always remain Tilghman's biggest rival. Although Mayfield has certainly staked their claim the last 10 years, this overall, has been one heck of a series for a century.

With that said, if you were to poll most of the players on Tilghman's team, they would tell you they feel that McCracken is overtaking Mayfield as our biggest rival.

There could be many reasons they feel that way, but there is just something about that cross-town rivalry that they really enjoy. I'm sure that losing streak against Mayfield plays a big factor into their thinking.

You can add a few more of the historical rivalry games to that list, particularly in Western Kentucky:

1. Hopkinsville vs Christian County

2. Mayfield vs Murray

3. Caldwell County vs Trigg County-

"The Battle of 139"

4. Madisonville vs Hopkinsville

5. Caldwell County vs Mayfield

And there are some old rivalries that have gone the way of time such as Owensboro vs

Henderson County or Bowling Green vs Franklin-Simpson that are no longer played on a regular basis due to changes in classification and scheduling restrictions.

An another game to add to the old rivalry list is Russellville vs Franklin-Simpson.

Beechwood has two big rivalries.

Covington Catholic because of so many common connections between the students and families. A good number of Covington Catholic students live in Ft. Mitchell.

Newport Catholic was a huge rival while they were in the same class with Beechwood and competing for state titles from the same district. That has carried over through the past 10 years even though the schools are in different classes now.

I don't see Mayfield as a rival for Beechwood because they only play when they are in the same class. I guess Mayfield will be more of a rival starting next year with the schools back in the same class with each other.