Heat index rule??

KentuckyJoe

I put this in break room since it covers many sports. What is the temp that puts the heat index rule into play? Does anyone know if it is used in travel-select fastpitch tournaments as well??? Thanks for the info!!

The heat index rule only covers KHSAA sports (maybe MS, too) so no travel clubs.

Here is a link to the chart: https://www.khsaa.org/sportsmedicine/heat/heatindexchartcolor.pdf

Can't forget others out in the heat either...we had an issue a few years ago where the band was out marching on pavement during band camp at the school and the football team was shut down due to heat index.

Now they monitor the heat just like football and soccer do.

It is intersting that Kentucky has a heat index rule, but southern states dont. Granted they are more used to the heat, but when we played in Naples a few years ago the week before Christmas the heat index on the field was 113. Other than water breaks at the halfway point of each quarter, thats all they do.

Can't forget others out in the heat either...we had an issue a few years ago where the band was out marching on pavement during band camp at the school and the football team was shut down due to heat index.

Reminds me of when a band director made his band march barefoot on a turf field at 2pm on a 90 degree day. They couldnt march in finals because many kids feet were burnt from the turf.

It is intersting that Kentucky has a heat index rule, but southern states dont. Granted they are more used to the heat, but when we played in Naples a few years ago the week before Christmas the heat index on the field was 113. Other than water breaks at the halfway point of each quarter, thats all they do.

Kentucky is one of the few states that use the system they do. Most other states use the same method the military does to determine if activity is safe. Kentucky’s rule is based on heat and humidity. Most other states (and the military) use the WBGT index, which in addition takes into account the wind speed, cloud cover and angle of the sun. The WBGT method isn’t as restrictive as the heat index method KY uses.

Here is a link to the KHSAA chart for reference since only KHSAA sanctioned events use this.

https://www.khsaa.org/sportsmedicine/heat/heatindexchartcolor.pdf

It looks like today will be flirting with that 99 mark as the humidity won’t be as high this afternoon when temps are at their highest.

Keep the girls cool and drinking between innings. Hopefully the coaches emphasized drinking lots of water these past couple days so they’re hydrated going into the weekend. I have a doubleheader in the heat tomorrow, and I told my girls to be constantly drinking water yesterday and today in preparation for tomorrow.

I can speak from experience because I've worn both... A band uniform is 100x hotter than a football uniform on a hot day.

Reminds me of when a band director made his band march barefoot on a turf field at 2pm on a 90 degree day. They couldnt march in finals because many kids feet were burnt from the turf.

Why would he do that? :idunno:

I can speak from experience because I've worn both... A band uniform is 100x hotter than a football uniform on a hot day.

That is a stretch. I am not sure what school band you were in but every time I saw the band practicing they were wearing T shirts and shorts.