2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Girls Basketball Team Discussion

2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Girls Basketball Team

Continuing its tradition of leadership in Kentucky high school sports information, news and discussion, BluegrassPreps.com announces its seventh annual All-BluegrassPreps.com Girls Basketball Team.

BluegrassPreps.com honors the state's top 10 players, with emphasis on building a true team. The All-BluegrassPreps.com team recognizes 10 players whose versatility and all-around contributions to their respective teams sets them apart.

2018 All BluegrassPreps.com Girls Basketball Team

Grace Berger - Sacred Heart

Taylor Clos - Campbell County

Blair Green - Harlan County

Ciaja Harbison - Male

Lexi Held - Cooper

Molly Lockhart - Butler

Seygan Robins - Mercer County

Mykasa Robinson - Ashland

Maddie Scherr - Ryle

Macey Turley - Murray

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Seygan Robins - Mercer County

Sure wish Macie Gibson from my old school, Owsley County, could have made this team. She led the state in scoring and rebounding and scored well over 3000 points for her career. She made the Herald-Leader’s 1st Team.

She’s signing with Murray State next week.

However, I do understand that this year was a stacked one for great talent in the state. I’d have to imagine that she was close to making the top 10.

2018 was an incredible class. I’m guessing in other years girls like Clephane, Stapleton and Schwarber would have made this list. Clephane was a beast this year. Schwarber was a leader for arguably the best team in the state. As mentioned already, Macie Gibson put up unbelievable numbers. Haven’t seen a few of the girls on the list play before so it’s hard to know. Lots of senior talent though, when did the last class this talented go through the state? The year Moss and Crittenden were around?

No one can dispute this '18 class is arguably the deepest/most talented of all time. A number of players this year would have made this list in other years without question as well.

If there were gonna be any players added they would have to include some/all of the Mercer seniors beside Robins. What's remarkable about these kids is ironically NOT their numbers. Robins was barely the leading scorer on her team and her scoring average was only 14 ... and is Player of the Year.

Their schedule spoke for itself ... other than successfully defending their 2017 State Championship, they also defeated other 2018 State Champions from Missouri (Incarnate Word Academy), Florida (Fort Meyers HS), and then Georgia (Westlake HS which is in largest class Georgia has and was defeated only once via Mercer). Obviously, it would appear I have a tad bit of argument/issue that Campbell was the best team this year.

CC's 3 players were fantastic -- particularly Clos. Putting up 'unbelievable numbers' is also great. But just numbers isn't what gets the job done -- Robins for Mercer and Anthony Davis @ UK are proof of that.

Bottom line is still this 2018 class were phenomenal players likely not replicated for many, many years to come.

Absolutely excellent argument that Mercer was top team and they finalized the deal with the Sweet Sixteen win. Campbell had their share of big wins vs top teams from outside KY as well but my point was CC could be argued the top team. Maybe Scherr is a reach given the depth of the senior class, seen her play several times, and she’s very very talented. But as we’ve mentioned there are some pretty solid proven seniors headed to D1 schools not on the list

Ah, hydraman! We certainly find a point we can agree on. At risk of dissing a fantastic player via Scherr, I WAY find issue that she could find her way in this insanely deep, talented group of seniors. While how deep and talented can always be argued, this group of seniors is widely seen as uniquely gifted with numerous D1 kids.

Hate to ever call out a single kid on a forum like this. On the other hand, thinking of the number of (equally?) talented seniors that did get passed up is perhaps the ones that could be offended?

Oh well, in the end no biggie. Good luck and best wishes to all these great kids in their respective next steps!

Ah, hydraman! We certainly find a point we can agree on. At risk of dissing a fantastic player via Scherr, I WAY find issue that she could find her way in this insanely deep, talented group of seniors. While how deep and talented can always be argued, this group of seniors is widely seen as uniquely gifted with numerous D1 kids.

Hate to ever call out a single kid on a forum like this. On the other hand, thinking of the number of (equally?) talented seniors that did get passed up is perhaps the ones that could be offended?

Oh well, in the end no biggie. Good luck and best wishes to all these great kids in their respective next steps!

Maddie made a "higher" AAU Team than Turley and Clos last summer. No other senior played on a bigger stage the whole summer (Nike EYBL). She is the only non-senior in KY with an offer to Louisville. In addition to high ppg (16.5) she had incredibly high rpg (7.5) for a PG. in addition she lead a young team to Elite 8. She had over 150 assists - consistently makes everyone around her better.

KYhome -- Hate to get into too much of a critique/comparison of players and no one would dispute Scherr is a wonderful player with a super future. Agreed. However, you are incorrect re no other senior playing on the "higher" AAU Team. Souder from Mercer played on this same team you are referencing and earned some healthy minutes. No need to get into all the accomplishments Mercer received these last 4 years as they are well documented.

Not going to knock Scherr and happy for her recognition. The real discussion is the irony of a sophomore making this list in a year where that senior class was (arguably) the deepest in memory if not ever.

Best wishes & congrats to Maddie and Ryle! They will be a force next year(s).

The only reason people are questioning her inclusion on this list is her age....Scherr is one of the top 5 players on this list.

Yes that is my only point. Really deep senior class around the state, seems like maybe a comparable senior would get the nod. Scherr is one of the best I’ve seen but I haven’t seen all the girls even on the list, or certainly around whole state. Certainly no questioning or taking away from the sophomore.

Good for discussion is girls that could have made the list though like ones named so far.

Gibson

Clephane

Schwarber

Stapleton

Souder

Others?

Yes that is my only point. Really deep senior class around the state, seems like maybe a comparable senior would get the nod. Scherr is one of the best I’ve seen but I haven’t seen all the girls even on the list, or certainly around whole state. Certainly no questioning or taking away from the sophomore.

Good for discussion is girls that could have made the list though like ones named so far.

Gibson

Clephane

Schwarber

Stapleton

Souder

Others?

Wheeler from Boyd County

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely excellent argument that Mercer was top team and they finalized the deal with the Sweet Sixteen win. Campbell had their share of big wins vs top teams from outside KY as well but my point was CC could be argued the top team. Maybe Scherr is a reach given the depth of the senior class, seen her play several times, and she’s very very talented. But as we’ve mentioned there are some pretty solid proven seniors headed to D1 schools not on the list

The argument for best team in the state was held March 7-11 at BB&T arena. Campbell County failed to show up. Campbell had a good year by all accounts but you gotta close the deal to be called the best.

IMO there is no way Campbell can be considered the best team. CC couldn't even get past the semi final of the region.