Coyote

woodsrider

Buddy I hunt with shot this coyote off our lease this morning. I saw it once back during gun season for a split second at first light but not long enough to get a shot. There are a ton of coyotes on our lease and I've never seen one with this much white. Has anyone seen one like this?

IMG_2572.JPG

Why did he shoot it?

They're "pests"...their numbers were once kept in check by mountain lion, bear, wolves, and bobcat due to the fact that they not only competed for prey with those other predators, but because they also were preyed upon at times by. Without mountain lion or wolf populations, and with drastically diminished bear and bobcat populations in Kentucky, the coyote population is left unchecked by nature.

They feed on smaller animals, and in many/most of the areas where they're over-populated in Kentucky, they have a notably negative impact on the populations of smaller animal populations. As a result, the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources has an "unrestricted hunting season" on coyotes, meaning hunters are encouraged to kill them year round whenever they see coyotes in an effort to reduce their numbers. That's what woodsy meant by "quota hunt".

• 6 months later...
Just another stupid human trick...killing a species.

Saw one in my yard about 15 yards from my house.

I have a 5 year old kid and a coyote would drag her away.

If I see one and I have a gun I’m shooting it.

There are way too many and a danger to kids.

Just another stupid human trick...killing a species.

Couldn’t be more wrong. Left unchecked the coyote population increase leads to the animals intruding and hunting in areas they other wise would never touch. They will/do hunt animals like dogs, house cats, and unfortunately children simply because there isn’t enough “natural” prey. My family has property in Somerset and rural Scott County and we go out of our way to keep cayote off our property.

• 3 weeks later...

I stand by my comment. Humans propagate indiscriminately (clearly), and too often, thus taking more land, then killing off any species that makes life uncomfortable, or profitable or fun in the eyes of some... in areas that were formerly undeveloped.

I keep a close watch on my animals and now grandkids, when we are outside. I would agree if there is an overly aggressive coyote threatening the above, that individual probably needs to be dealt with....that is not an excuse to eradicate the species.