Thank You, Marvin

If today was your final game as head coach of the Bengals, I want to thank you for the past 15 years. You rescued an organization from a decade-long abyss and turned winning into not just a fantasy, but an expectation. We went from laughingstock to division contenders (and even winners). You've had some unfortunate things happen, just when it looked like you might take the team to the next level in the playoffs. You've had blamed heaped upon you over the past 10 years or so, and always seemed to handle it with class.

It may indeed be a time for change, and have someone else at the helm to hopefully take the team to the next level. But, whomever your successor may be, any immediate success they may have, a good portion of that should be attributed to the foundation that you have laid for them.

Thank you, Marvin.

CincySportsFan

It's time for a change but I was glad to see they didn't lay down like a few other franchises. The TD to Boyd was a good send off for Marvin. I'm not too fond of the prospects posted in the Enquirer today, unfortunately the Bengals aren't a marquee job.

It's time for a change but I was glad to see they didn't lay down like a few other franchises. The TD to Boyd was a good send off for Marvin. I'm not too fond of the prospects posted in the Enquirer today, unfortunately the Bengals aren't a marquee job.

I disagree. It would all come down to what Mike Brown says to possible condadates. If a coach feels he could do what he wants to do. Then it's a very attractive job, because you can walk in and win right away. It all comes down to Mike Brown. He kept giving up more and more control over the last 15 years. Will he do that again depends on the type of coach we can get.

Agree that a big thanks is due to Marvin for turning this franchise around from a laughingstock to respectability. Also agree it's time for a new look for the Bengals and Marvin; although I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw the candidates listed in the paper this morning?

Keep hearing rumblings about a front office job for Marvin, could this be the time when Mike Brown does the unthinkable in his mind & hire a GM? And if so, could it be Lewis?? If so, it would seem very "Bengal-like".

Me too! I hate the Ravens! Marvin owns those guys!

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Why does a coach for an NFL team have to have ties to this area?

An NFL head coach doesn't need ties to the area, and that shouldn't even be a consideration. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, and the only thing that matters is if you can deliver results. Where you're from is way, way down the list of desirable traits.

Seriously, if Marvin signs another deal to coach, I'm not sure how I will react.

I'm starting to think keeping Marvin will be the best thing for the team. After reading all the articles out there and listening to the news, it makes sense. The Bengals will never be a championship caliber organization with Mike Brown running the show, unless he relinquishes his power and hires a GM that he allows to have full control. It sounds like Marvin is in a power struggle with Mike right now. Marvin wants control over player personnel and coaching staff. When he has that control, he can put together a playoff caliber team. If he isn't able to get that control, then Mike will hire someone else that is willing to let Mike pull the strings. Therefore, we go back to the pre-Marvin era.

An NFL head coach doesn't need ties to the area, and that shouldn't even be a consideration. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, and the only thing that matters is if you can deliver results. Where you're from is way, way down the list of desirable traits.

Agreed!