Highlands 50 Brossart 48

I'll let @Mustang give his eloquent summary.

Nothing eloquent forthcoming from me on this one.

We played about as well as we could in the first period, where it appeared our quickness and rim-runs were too much for the Birds to contain, as the Mustangs pushed out to a 21-9 lead and appeared on the way to a blow-out victory. We should have known better as nothing has ever come easy for the Mustangs in the City of Beautiful Homes.

The second and third quarters were complete contrasts, as we were limited to 8 and 9, while the Birds enjoyed 13-8 and 11-9 advantages to cut the Mustangs edge to 38-35.

Then, as Lawnboy so adeptly pontificated, the dreaded five minute drought gave the Birds momentum and a 45-38 lead before the Mustangs offense re-joined the period, already in progress.

In the final three minutes, Brossart's Zach Hamberg hit a pair of three pointers, and Ethan Eilerman followed up on a Bryan Duffy miss to make things interesting as we neared the finish line.

IMO the big play of the late fourth quarter was a very ill-advised 3-Point goal by Alex Starkey. Sometimes ill-advised shots fall, and this might have been the deciding factor in the contest.

Down 49-48 with 29.2 seconds to play the Mustangs were unable to get a high percentage shot off and an ensuing free-throw made the final score 50-48.

The Mustangs will lay off for exams and a Senior Retreat and surface next Friday in the Swauger Classic at Bellevue High School where we will face Ryle at 5pm.

Birds head to Mason County on the 21st.

BB: Schumacher 2 (9 Rbds), Donnelly 12, C.Schirmer 4,Duffy 4, MacDonald 2, E.Eilerman 12, Hamberg 10, Bell 2

Totals: 14-4- 8/12-48............3-4.......0-3

H: Roberts 2, Hegge 3, Gabbard 12, Huber 3, Leigh 5, Noe 2, Starkey 12, Gulley 4, Schoellman 7

Totals: 13-5-9/20-50............4-4........2-1

I coached Alex when he was in grade school and he was the master at ill-advised shots. I can't tell you how many times I would say Nooooooo.....Yes!!! High motor and very aggressive but shot selection was always scary. I love hearing how he hit the big shot. Sometimes you have kids who are afraid to take a shot. That is not Alex Starkey and I will take that all day long.

Congrats to Alex and the Birds!

Defn. of ill-advised shot: An attempt from the field that as the player prepares to release the ball "oh, crap" is the dominant thought that flashes through the coach's mind.

He was wide open, so I really wouldn't consider it an ill advised shot. It was a very good look.

Ill-Advised in this context - Simply making a coaching point.

Probably not what Coach Listerman wanted in that particular time and situation. Agree he was wide open, BUT his team had the ball, were ahead by two possessions, were in the double-bonus, and would have probably been better served playing for a layup, higher percentage two-pointer or a pair of free-throws.

Hitting the "ili-advised" shot, moved the Birds much closer to icing the game and may have proved the difference. Missing that particular "3" (and others that were taken) and a Brossart rebound, could have also proved fatal.

All wide-open looks are not smart shots, depending on the situation.

Just sayin...................

Nothing eloquent forthcoming from me on this one.

We played about as well as we could in the first period, where it appeared our quickness and rim-runs were too much for the Birds to contain, as the Mustangs pushed out to a 21-9 lead and appeared on the way to a blow-out victory. We should have known better as nothing has ever come easy for the Mustangs in the City of Beautiful Homes.

The second and third quarters were complete contrasts, as we were limited to 8 and 9, while the Birds enjoyed 13-8 and 11-9 advantages to cut the Mustangs edge to 38-35.

Then, as Lawnboy so adeptly pontificated, the dreaded five minute drought gave the Birds momentum and a 45-38 lead before the Mustangs offense re-joined the period, already in progress.

In the final three minutes, Brossart's Zach Hamberg hit a pair of three pointers, and Ethan Eilerman followed up on a Bryan Duffy miss to make things interesting as we neared the finish line.

IMO the big play of the late fourth quarter was a very ill-advised 3-Point goal by Alex Starkey. Sometimes ill-advised shots fall, and this might have been the deciding factor in the contest.

Down 49-48 with 29.2 seconds to play the Mustangs were unable to get a high percentage shot off and an ensuing free-throw made the final score 50-48.

The Mustangs will lay off for exams and a Senior Retreat and surface next Friday in the Swauger Classic at Bellevue High School where we will face Ryle at 5pm.

Birds head to Mason County on the 21st.

BB: Schumacher 2 (9 Rbds), Donnelly 12, C.Schirmer 4,Duffy 4, MacDonald 2, E.Eilerman 12, Hamberg 10, Bell 2

Totals: 14-4- 8/12-48............3-4.......0-3

H: Roberts 2, Hegge 3, Gabbard 12, Huber 3, Leigh 5, Noe 2, Starkey 12, Gulley 4, Schoellman 7

Totals: 13-5-9/20-50............4-4........2-1

Lawnboy is Catholic?

Who knew?