Pick Up Basketball

Pi

One of my favorite "people watching" games is to look around a room and decide which guys, if we were to break out in a game of pick up basketball, I'd want on my team to win.

It's weird-- I know.

But, I always wonder this about other men: Who thinks they could "hold their own" in an "average" pick up game?

I'm not talking against the Cavs starting 5, or even against a good college team. Just a random group of 9 other guys, ranging in skill levels. Do you think you'd be top flight? Or are you the guy picked last? Or average?

I think I'm average. I'm taller. I just like rebounding, passing, setting picks and blocking shots so people like having me on their team--

What do you say?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we go back in time about 5 years? I was very average, but rather awkward style of play. I’m left handed but grew up against lefties so I could guard either way. Ugly but effective game. Good size, but had some speed so sometimes in pick up could create a bad matchup.

AHHHH, glory days!!

Can we go back in time about 5 years? I was very average, but rather awkward style of play. I’m left handed but grew up against lefties so I could guard either way. Ugly but effective game. Good size, but had some speed so sometimes in pick up could create a bad matchup.

AHHHH, glory days!!

OK. We'll let you guard the fat, slow guy on the other team.

Right now I wouldn't be very good. But for most of my life, despite being of average high, I could play a little hoops. I was a good shooter, with really good range. Wasn't a great defender (mostly from lack of effort), but had an ok handle, and could create my own shot. I certainly wasn't a standout, but I could more than hang in the average pickup game.

In a truly average group of guys, I can hold my own. Can shoot a little. Will play limited defense and probably won't go inside the arc much on offense. Can we play zone? That would be nice.

ZONE!?? Ah man... weak! lol

In a truly average group of guys, I can hold my own. Can shoot a little. Will play limited defense and probably won't go inside the arc much on offense. Can we play zone? That would be nice.

If you are on a pick up team of mine, we are playing zone. I'm playing zone even if everyone else is playing man.

If you are on a pick up team of mine, we are playing zone. I'm playing zone even if everyone else is playing man.

Roaming the paint like Earl Thomas, looking for an errant pass or someone to put a body on, meanwhile, totally disrespecting my matchup’s shooting ability. Yup, that’s me too.

One of my favorite "people watching" games is to look around a room and decide which guys, if we were to break out in a game of pick up basketball, I'd want on my team to win.

It's weird-- I know.

But, I always wonder this about other men: Who thinks they could "hold their own" in an "average" pick up game?

I'm not talking against the Cavs starting 5, or even against a good college team. Just a random group of 9 other guys, ranging in skill levels. Do you think you'd be top flight? Or are you the guy picked last? Or average?

I think I'm average. I'm taller. I just like rebounding, passing, setting picks and blocking shots so people like having me on their team--

What do you say?

I digress..... but I find stuff like this interesting.... Somebody I work with told me they always try to pick out the smartest person on the call/in the room during a meeting. (I've since felt insecure whenever I’m on a call with this person, lol)

I digress..... but I find stuff like this interesting.... Somebody I work with told me they always try to pick out the smartest person on the call/in the room during a meeting. (I've since felt insecure whenever I’m on a call with this person, lol)

My wife and I will sometimes make-believe conversations at other peoples tables when we're out to dinner...