Pick Up Basketball

Pi

Left artificial hip, trick right knee, a right hip thats not doing it's best and about 40 pounds to heavy would prevent me from playing now in my 51st year on this earth, so I would have to say a team captain would be best off not to pick me today. Back the clock up about 10 years and before, and I'd be one of the better/best players on the court. A 6'5, 250 pound power forward who can (maybe that should be could) score down low and from 20 feet, and rebound with the best. Weaknesses were not a strong ball handler facing the basket 10+ feet from the rim, and tough keeping up with smaller 4's if they stretched the floor.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 53, and in the warmer months get out to the courts and shoot around fairly regularly. There were a few years there not too long ago that I had gotten away from it, and when trying again I initially thought that my better days were behind me to the point that I thought that I'd never really be able to function again.

I noticed that my coordination for something so seemingly second nature as dribbling the ball had diminished. While as a kid I could shoot for hours without issue, my arm hurt within only a half an hour.

Thankfully I kept at it and found the skills, abilities, and stamina returning to the point that I'm happy to say it became enjoyable again.

There's a huge difference though between shooting around and actually playing in a pickup game. A full court game might kill me, and I can manage, but not for too long in the 3 on 3 half court setting.

Playing competitively instantly turns up the intensity, and while a lot of it might be in my head, I immediately begin to feel my heart pounding out of my chest, and to play effectively there's no dialing it down until the game is over, whereas it's much easier to pace yourself when simply shooting around.

Honestly I prefer to have the court all to myself and manage my own workout. Though I aim to perfect my shooting, I don't mind missing as it prompts me to chase the ball down forcing me to move my butt and keep my legs limber.

I wonder how many on here other than myself still play semi-regularly.

I play 3-4 times a week with a good group.

A few D-1 players and other former college guys. Some days I have no business on the floor!

I used to play league ball 2 or 3 nights a week. Never great but was OK, the mid range jumper and garbage baskets inside was my game. As a 6'1" 240 lb banger I was always going to be limited but I had my moments.

Today I wouldn't be picked last, a team would just choose to play 4 on 5 rather than pick me :lol2: