Paintsville's New Locker Room

ATLCat

How do the upgrades fit in with title IX?

If I'm not mistaken member schools must spend the same amount on both genders regardless of the funding. Is volleyball the counter part to football?

Paintsville is an independent school, I don't think Title IX applies, since they're not federally funded? Would be my guess.

Paintsville is an independent school, I don't think Title IX applies, since they're not federally funded? Would be my guess.

It is absolutely amazing the amount of misinformation in this state on this subject. An independent public school absolutely gets federal funding. Independent isn't private. Independent from Johnson county schools is what it means.

Paintsville has a $1.8 million gym renovation planned for this school year. $100k or whatever was spent on the football locker room should be insignificant in terms of Title IX as in comparison to 1.8 million. The softball field and football field are both adjacent and off campus, softball uses football concessions, they use the football locker room for ice, and also practice on the football field during bad weather early in spring. I would think the admin at Paintsville would have no problems here in terms of Title IX. Paintsville has one of the oldest continuously used grass facilities with an old school crown. It is one of the best places to watch a game in the state imo, because there is no track around the grass field. Seems a few have ruffled feathers over a $100k locker room, yet their team plays on a $750k turf field? Excellent job here by Joe Chirico, the community of Paintsville, and their alumni!

Well done PHS on the fund raising campaign and end result. This locker room is better than what many colleges have...:lol2:

Better start an annual couch fund or replace with chairs! Those couches may last a couple years if your lucky...

How do the upgrades fit in with title IX?

If I'm not mistaken member schools must spend the same amount on both genders regardless of the funding. Is volleyball the counter part to football?

It's not a dollar-for-dollar requirement, it is a "comparable" requirement.

It is absolutely amazing the amount of misinformation in this state on this subject. An independent public school absolutely gets federal funding. Independent isn't private. Independent from Johnson county schools is what it means.

I understand. I'm continually amazed how people think Independent schools are the same as private. And, at how people think independent schools and private schools don't have to comply with the same rules.