MLB to 7 innings....good idea?

atm10

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you realized this was a terrible idea before we got started again.

Actually a WSJ article suggesting weekday games be 7 because of people leaving and keeping weekends 9 innings. Thought it was interesting concept but for some reason my computer won't copy link.

Actually a WSJ article suggesting weekday games be 7 because of people leaving and keeping weekends 9 innings. Thought it was interesting concept but for some reason my computer won't copy link.

My opinion, people that aren't coming to the games during the week because the games are to long, aren't coming to the games during the week just because you knock off two innings.

I like the idea of having one league play Thursday thru Sunday and the other one play Friday thru Monday, with no games Tues or Wednesday in either league. Leagues could alternate schedule each year or at the mid point of the season.

Teams would only need four starters and you'd see #1 Pitcher same day each week.

The season would have much fewer games but each weekend would be a four game series.

Players would have 3 days off per week, so a family spending a small fortune to travel to St. Louis, Chicago, Boston or New York would almost always be assured of seeing their favorite players barring injuries...no driving 3 hours on a Sunday morning to Cincinnati only to see that Votto and Hamilton are sitting out and resting.

I like the idea of having one league play Thursday thru Sunday and the other one play Friday thru Monday, with no games Tues or Wednesday in either league. Leagues could alternate schedule each year or at the mid point of the season.

Teams would only need four starters and you'd see #1 Pitcher same day each week.

The season would have much fewer games but each weekend would be a four game series.

Players would have 3 days off per week, so a family spending a small fortune to travel to St. Louis, Chicago, Boston or New York would almost always be assured of seeing their favorite players barring injuries...no driving 3 hours on a Sunday morning to Cincinnati only to see that Votto and Hamilton are sitting out and resting.

So you want the season cut 3/7?

So you want the season cut 3/7?

Not quite 3/7's because there are several off days already that would be swallowed up in the new off days...the season would be 108 games over 27 weeks.

Alternative plan would be all teams play Thursday thru Monday playing 5 game series each week and getting two days off. That would give you 135 games in a season and still eliminate Tuesday and Wednesday games and still allowing pitchers to pitch one game per week. Teams could schedule double headers and still get 3 days off some weeks as well.

I'm looking at it completely from out of the box and assuming nothing has to be any particular way. I know that season and many careers cumulative stats would never be broken, but I'm looking at it purely as improving the product and the experience for the fans.

IMO the Greatest Team of All-Time the 75-76 Reds were led by the Great 8 Rose, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Geronimo,Foster and Griffey...yet even as great as that line up was they only played a small portion of games with all 8 in the lineup at the same time due to rest or days off and injuries. Imagine seeing your best 8 players playing every game and never sitting unless injured...that's what the fans want to see at most parks. If the Nationals come to town and I drive 5 hours to St. Louis so my son a huge Bryce Harper fan can see him play and he's taking the night off for rest...well that sucks for me. With my plan I think you'd see very few players taking days off, unless injured.

Pitchers would miss less starts because they'd only be pitching once a week.

Not quite 3/7's because there are several off days already that would be swallowed up in the new off days...the season would be 108 games over 27 weeks.

Alternative plan would be all teams play Thursday thru Monday playing 5 game series each week and getting two days off. That would give you 135 games in a season and still eliminate Tuesday and Wednesday games and still allowing pitchers to pitch one game per week. Teams could schedule double headers and still get 3 days off some weeks as well.

I'm looking at it completely from out of the box and assuming nothing has to be any particular way. I know that season and many careers cumulative stats would never be broken, but I'm looking at it purely as improving the product and the experience for the fans.

IMO the Greatest Team of All-Time the 75-76 Reds were led by the Great 8 Rose, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Geronimo,Foster and Griffey...yet even as great as that line up was they only played a small portion of games with all 8 in the lineup at the same time due to rest or days off and injuries. Imagine seeing your best 8 players playing every game and never sitting unless injured...that's what the fans want to see at most parks. If the Nationals come to town and I drive 5 hours to St. Louis so my son a huge Bryce Harper fan can see him play and he's taking the night off for rest...well that sucks for me. With my plan I think you'd see very few players taking days off, unless injured.

Pitchers would miss less starts because they'd only be pitching once a week.

Bench players would be useless except to pinch hit. In the AL almost non existent unless they are platoon players.

Can any one link article instead of spouting comments? Still can't from here

:facepalm: Quote from the article by WSJ's Jason Gay: "Stop me when you think any of this sounds like a dumb idea." Well, OK... please stop.

Gay mentions other ideas, floated by others, to speed up the game, which was my takeaway. I'd like to see the game speed up. But the ebb and flow of a game is timeless, and beautiful as well.

Let’s Make Baseball Games Seven Innings - WSJ

Edited by Runcible Owl

You have to be a subscriber to read the story.

It's far-fetched but I do believe MLB at some point will consider changes to the game in order to satisfy their audience. When today's 20 somethings get to 40 somethings will they watch MLB enough to let MLB keep the rules the same?