Violation of Unwritten Rules?

Clyde

Mariners Jarrod Dyson broke up Verlander's perfect game in the 7th with a drag bunt. Score was 4-0 at the time.

Many were unhappy with his gross violation of the famous unwritten rules.

Anyone bothered by the bunt?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a bit.

4-0 in the 7th inning is still well within reach. Dyson's job in that position is to do what he can to get on base to help the chances of his team, not to help ensure the opposing pitcher get a perfect game.

Agreed, silly to think otherwise.

Many of the "unwritten rules" of baseball are silly. Batters should be trying to get on base. Period. That doesn't change because someone is in the middle of throwing a no-no at you. Especially when the game is still tight.

I hope I don't get hammered for this so I'll give info based on how my buddies and I were taught "back in the day".

It was considered, I'll just say, less than manly if you were halfway or more into a non-no being tossed against you and you tried to bunt for a base hit.

And referring to unwritten rules of the game. Yeah, we observed them. I just don't think we got our "feelings hurt" as much as what seems to occur today.

I hope I don't get hammered for this so I'll give info based on how my buddies and I were taught "back in the day".

It was considered, I'll just say, less than manly if you were halfway or more into a non-no being tossed against you and you tried to bunt for a base hit.

You're losing a game 4-0. It's ok to bunt for a hit if your team has a couple hits already, but it's not manly and not ok if your team hasn't gotten a hit yet. Or it's ok in the first, second or third inning, but suddenly makes you less of man in the 4th or 5th inning. I grew up playing in the late 70's and 80's and that line of thinking is completely absurd to me.

You're losing a game 4-0. It's ok to bunt for a hit if your team has a couple hits already, but it's not manly and not ok if your team hasn't gotten a hit yet. Or it's ok in the first, second or third inning, but suddenly makes you less of man in the 4th or 5th inning. I grew up playing in the late 70's and 80's and that line of thinking is completely absurd to me.

Like I posted, that's the way we were taught. We didn't think anything of it then, different time.

Many of the "unwritten rules" of baseball are silly. Batters should be trying to get on base. Period. That doesn't change because someone is in the middle of throwing a no-no at you. Especially when the game is still tight.

I guess at a certain point in a baseball game batters should no longer be responsible for getting hits and fielders should no longer be expected to field their position.

It's not "garbage time" - just feels that way for purposes of achieving a no-hitter.