Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Violation of Unwritten Rules?

Featured Replies

Mariners Jarrod Dyson broke up Verlander's perfect game in the 7th with a drag bunt. Score was 4-0 at the time.

 

Many were unhappy with his gross violation of the famous unwritten rules.

 

Anyone bothered by the bunt?

  • Replies 40
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bit.

 

4-0 in the 7th inning is still well within reach. Dyson's job in that position is to do what he can to get on base to help the chances of his team, not to help ensure the opposing pitcher get a perfect game.

Not a bit.

 

4-0 in the 7th inning is still well within reach. Dyson's job in that position is to do what he can to get on base to help the chances of his team, not to help ensure the opposing pitcher get a perfect game.

Agreed, silly to think otherwise.

Why would someone even want a perfect game if it was given to them? You have to earn it.

Plus, it was actually in the 6th inning. That's almost half the game remaining. Dyson sparked them to a 7-5 comeback win. Entirely justified I'd say.

Many of the "unwritten rules" of baseball are silly. Batters should be trying to get on base. Period. That doesn't change because someone is in the middle of throwing a no-no at you. Especially when the game is still tight.

10-0 game in the 9th sure maybe maybe I'd have some grief with the batter, but your job as a hitter is to not make an out anyway possible.

I hope I don't get hammered for this so I'll give info based on how my buddies and I were taught "back in the day".

 

It was considered, I'll just say, less than manly if you were halfway or more into a non-no being tossed against you and you tried to bunt for a base hit.

 

And referring to unwritten rules of the game. Yeah, we observed them. I just don't think we got our "feelings hurt" as much as what seems to occur today.

I hope I don't get hammered for this so I'll give info based on how my buddies and I were taught "back in the day".

 

It was considered, I'll just say, less than manly if you were halfway or more into a non-no being tossed against you and you tried to bunt for a base hit.

 

You're losing a game 4-0. It's ok to bunt for a hit if your team has a couple hits already, but it's not manly and not ok if your team hasn't gotten a hit yet. Or it's ok in the first, second or third inning, but suddenly makes you less of man in the 4th or 5th inning. I grew up playing in the late 70's and 80's and that line of thinking is completely absurd to me.

A drag bunt hit is still a hit. 4-0 is a grand slam away from a tie. If it was 11-0, that's one thing. 4-0 is still a winnable game.

You're losing a game 4-0. It's ok to bunt for a hit if your team has a couple hits already, but it's not manly and not ok if your team hasn't gotten a hit yet. Or it's ok in the first, second or third inning, but suddenly makes you less of man in the 4th or 5th inning. I grew up playing in the late 70's and 80's and that line of thinking is completely absurd to me.

 

Like I posted, that's the way we were taught. We didn't think anything of it then, different time.

Many of the "unwritten rules" of baseball are silly. Batters should be trying to get on base. Period. That doesn't change because someone is in the middle of throwing a no-no at you. Especially when the game is still tight.

 

I guess at a certain point in a baseball game batters should no longer be responsible for getting hits and fielders should no longer be expected to field their position.

 

It's not "garbage time" - just feels that way for purposes of achieving a no-hitter.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.