Owensboro Catholic 10 Harrison County 4

I heard that there was another "ball rolling under the fence" that was ruled a home run in this one.

Unbelievable.....Come on already, move this thing to Elizabethtown. What a Crime! Politics-Politics-Politics! I was 5 feet away from when the girl from Johnson Central hit the Walk-off HR "Over" the Fence which was later deemed a Ground rule Double. It cost them the game the next Batter! You would of needed the Sheriff if that was my Daughter that hit that Bomb!

Controversial Call Lifts Owensboro Catholic to 1-4 win over Harrison County - 44News | Evansville, IN 44News | Evansville, IN

Terrible, terrible call. These umpires shouldn't be allowed back on a softball field.

...and there is absolutely no excuse for there to be any type of hole in the already stupid fencing put up in the outfield. Move this tournament to a real softball field already.

NewCath is willing to host it. LOL

Unbelievable.....Come on already, move this thing to Elizabethtown. What a Crime! Politics-Politics-Politics! I was 5 feet away from when the girl from Johnson Central hit the Walk-off HR "Over" the Fence which was later deemed a Ground rule Double. It cost them the game the next Batter! You would of needed the Sheriff if that was my Daughter that hit that Bomb!

E'town does NOT have ANY press box for khsaa statkeepers, umpire reviewers, radio, newspaper writers. Doesn't have any place for them to work near the field, either.

E'town was built for summer travel ball tournaments, when they do NOT care if the media shows up.

For KHSAA state, scorekeepers (streaming them online, plus the ones doing the official book) and radio (fans back home want to listen to the game) need space/plugs to put their stuff.

Bad thing about E'town's design is it would be hard to fix it (unless you did press boxes ON TOP of each dugout, like Marion County HS does in Lebanon, Ky.).

I wish I could find a photo of the softball fields instead of the baseball fields at E'town, but they ARE ALL designed the same way. Photo below shows NO press box behind home plate.

And unlike Owensboro, Hoptown or J'town, there is NO centralized 2-story press box building in the quad/cloverleaf. It's single story with no windows on second story (storage).

297584_510827855609344_60234572_n-300x188.jpg

feature-image-16.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

E'town does NOT have ANY press box for khsaa statkeepers, umpire reviewers, radio, newspaper writers. Doesn't have any place for them to work near the field, either.

E'town was built for summer travel ball tournaments, when they do NOT care if the media shows up.

For KHSAA state, scorekeepers (streaming them online, plus the ones doing the official book) and radio (fans back home want to listen to the game) need space/plugs to put their stuff.

Bad thing about E'town's design is it would be hard to fix it (unless you did press boxes ON TOP of each dugout, like Marion County HS does in Lebanon, Ky.).

I get your point, however, do you really think that the design or lack of media space is the most important focus for the reasons not to move it ? (The video of this particular play was shot from an angle off of the plate through a chain link fence, so not sure what's so great about the current media set up)

I don't think most of the state (with possibly the exception of the Western portion) really care at all where this tournament is played, only that the facility supports the game.

How is it that we can continue to have these type of situations that are primarily generated because of the FIELD conditions that create the situations ?

(Please insert any arguments about officiating levels here...you won't get any disagreement...)

Put up 2-3 quality large pop up tents ( commercial type ) somewhee , run electric to to it , and tell the media to make due . The field should come before comforts of an air conditioned 2 story press box . Or assign an extra ump to stand at the CF fence and make rulings on balls that the IF umps cant see . Depth perception an tough with those temporary fences , it is hard to tell sometimes , assign an ump to stand outside the CF where HR's can be HR's and doubles and be doubles .. or move the event .

Put up 2-3 quality large pop up tents ( commercial type ) somewhee , run electric to to it , and tell the media to make due . The field should come before comforts of an air conditioned 2 story press box . Or assign an extra ump to stand at the CF fence and make rulings on balls that the IF umps cant see . Depth perception an tough with those temporary fences , it is hard to tell sometimes , assign an ump to stand outside the CF where HR's can be HR's and doubles and be doubles .. or move the event .

If the umpires are doing their job correctly, you will have one go out on the fly balls and verify. If an umpire can't get 30 - 50 feet into an outfield to verify that a ball either goes over, under or through a fence, and certainly if 3 umpires cannot verify that, well then maybe the best umpires aren't getting sent to the show....