Knuckleballers?

MSU-70

I've seen guys throw it as a change up, but I've never seen any high schooler throw it as a primary pitch. I caught a guy in college who threw sidearm and used a knuckleball. First bullpen session of my freshman year I didn't even get my glove on the first few knuckles.

My ace, 40 years ago, was about 5'8" and weighed around 140. Fastball probably topped out in low 70's and the knuckle was his primary pitch (maybe 60% of his pitches). Best athlete on the team was our centerfielder that served as his designated catcher, simply because he was the only one that could catch him. It was a delight to watch him baffle batters from big time programs (Doug Flynn for one) pitch after pitch and then slip his fastball past them for strike three. He taught it to a couple of other players, but they never controlled it enough to use.

I don't know why but the pitch has always captivated me...I'd love to catch a high school game where it is being thrown as a primary pitch. I have watched a few minor league (Gamboa) and major league games (RA Dickey). I wonder if a player who threw this pitch as a primary pitch would actually get recruited as a knuckleball pitcher. I've never heard of one. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.

When I was in HS one of our starting pitchers threw one but not as his primary pitch. It was probably 40% Fastball 30% Knuckles 30% Curves. I was a catcher and it was not fun to catch him. I would often hesitate to call it with a runner on third.