50 Greatest Programs in Kentucky History Part II (21-30)

Continuing with our list of the 50 greatest high school basketball programs in Kentucky history, today we are looking at #30-21 . As was mentioned in the previous thread, this is based on a formula that awards teams a certain amount of points for district titles, region titles, state tournament game wins, and state championships. District and region championships date to 1927, state championship records to 1918.

In case of ties, the team with the most state championships gets the better ranking. If that number is the same, I added the total number of district, region, and state championships together and the highest number gets the better ranking.

This is the second of four posts on the topic. Check back each day this week for an update.

Part I - http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/50-greatest-programs-325258.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30. Pikeville Panthers (93 points)

District Championships: 39

Region Championships: 9

State Tournament Game Wins: 12

State Championships: 0

29. Harlan Green Dragons (94 points)

District Championships: 21

Region Championships: 10

State Tournament Game Wins: 16

State Championships: 1 (1944)

28. Bowling Green Purples (97 points)

Region Championships: 14

State Tournament Game Wins: 10

27. Fairdale Bulldogs (98 points)

District Championships: 20

State Tournament Game Wins: 15

State Championships: 3 (1990, 1991, 1994)

26. Breckinridge County Tigers (100 points)

Region Championships: 6

State Tournament Game Wins: 13

State Championships: 2 (1965, 1995)

25. Madisonville-North Hopkins Maroons (105 points)

District Championships: 53

State Tournament Game Wins: 8

24. Inez Indians (105 points) - closed

District Championships: 20

State Tournament Game Wins: 19

State Championships: 2 (1941, 1954)

23. Lexington Catholic Knights (110 points)

District Championships: 27

Region Championships: 12

State Tournament Game Wins: 18

State Championships: 1 (2002)

22. Corbin Redhounds (112 points)

District Championships: 43

State Tournament Game Wins: 12

State Championships: 1 (1936)

21. Danville Admirals (119 points)

District Championships: 50

Region Championships: 12

State Tournament Game Wins: 15

I love that someone is doing this list but your formula needs major tweaking. It seems to weight district championships too heavily. State championships should hold the greatest weight, then state tournament wins, then region championships, then district championships. Just using my home 2nd region, the district that Madisonville-North Hopkins is in used to feature not only Dawson Springs but Providence as well before they consolidated. That is two of the smallest schools in the state that rarely produced teams good enough to compete for a district championship, yet they are 25th and ahead of teams like Hopkinsville and Christian County who play in a cut-throat district.

...your formula needs major tweaking. It seems to weight district championships too heavily. State championships should hold the greatest weight, then state tournament wins, then region championships, then district championships.

That is how I'm doing it. District 1, region 2, state tournament wins 3, state titles 5.

Just using my home 2nd region, the district that Madisonville-North Hopkins is in used to feature not only Dawson Springs but Providence as well before they consolidated. That is two of the smallest schools in the state that rarely produced teams good enough to compete for a district championship, yet they are 25th and ahead of teams like Hopkinsville and Christian County who play in a cut-throat district.

But Madisonville hasn't won a region in years. Christian and Hopkinsville may be losing a point in districts but are gaining two with all the region titles. Madisonville's biggest advantage over Christian County is that they've played basketball for about forty more seasons. All the independent districts (or in the case of Madisonville, former independent) have a longevity advantage. But the county school successes post consolidation are starting to close the gap. It all works out in the end.

Nice! I had no idea Danville had 50 district championships. Wow.

They spent many, many years absolutely owning Perryville, Forkland, Parksville, Lancaster, Camp Dick, Buckeye, Paint Lick, and Buena Vista in district play!

That is how I'm doing it. District 1, region 2, state tournament wins 3, state titles 5.

I just think there should be a bigger difference between each. If district championships are going to count then I think you have to do something to offset the advantage of playing in a weaker district. There are districts in Louisville that are harder to win than some regions. Do you think doing District 1, Region 3, State Tournament Wins 5, State Titles 10 would give a better indication of program greatness? Just picking out a few programs that I'm familar with and applying that formula I get a more accurate ranking in my opinion. Here's where you had these teams ranked with your formula and how many points they ended up with using the formula I mentioned:

#25 Madisonville-North Hopkins - 135 points

#26 Breckinridge County - 142 points

#27 Fairdale - 152 points

#28 Bowling Green - 131 points

#34 Hopkinsville - 124 points

#36 Warren Central - 132 points

Even using that formula Madisonville-North Hopkins is still ahead of Hopkinsville and I guess you're right the longevity of their program gives them the edge. But it moves up 2 programs that should definitely be higher in Fairdale and Breckinridge County.

What do you think?

WKY, while I do understand your logic, if you want to rate tough districts, I dare you to find a tougher district in the state than the 9th. Apollo, Daviess County, Owensboro and Owensboro Catholic. Winning this district is much tougher than winning the 3rd Region.

I would probably weight Regional titles 5, state wins 7, and state titles 10. Most districts only have 4-5 teams, so honestly winning a district isn't much of an accomplishment when thinking of best programs of all time.

I would probably weight Regional titles 5, state wins 7, and state titles 10. Most districts only have 4-5 teams, so honestly winning a district isn't much of an accomplishment when thinking of best programs of all time.

These district titles go back to 1927, though. From that point until the 1960s and 1970s, many districts had 8, 10, 12 teams in them. If you don't wait district titles heavily, it negates the success of schools of the past who really had a tough road to win the district championship.

I like this...IMO a State Title is worth at least 10 times what a District Title is.

WKY, while I do understand your logic, if you want to rate tough districts, I dare you to find a tougher district in the state than the 9th. Apollo, Daviess County, Owensboro and Owensboro Catholic. Winning this district is much tougher than winning the 3rd Region.

In the last 75 years the 3rd Region Championship has only been won 23 times by a school other than the current members of the 9th District.