Whitney Creech becomes new state scoring leader

Never count out a superstar. That’s what Whitney Creech proved on Tuesday night.

The Jenkins senior scored a career-high 71 points to get past Jaime Walz for the most all-time points by any player in Kentucky history. The Cavaliers needed every single one of them as they rallied to earn a 90-87 win at Paintsville in overtime.

Many in the media — including this reporter — thought it was a long shot for Creech, who needed 63 points to set a new mark, to break the record on Tuesday. Shame on us; her previous career high was 65.

Whitney Creech becomes new state scoring leader | Lexington Herald-Leader

Read more here: Whitney Creech becomes new state scoring leader | Lexington Herald-Leader

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Whitney! I know everybody has penciled in Boley as POY, but every bucket this kid scores is against double, triple and even quadruple teaming. To score the ball at 50 points a game under those circumstances is incredible.

I have to wonder if it was Creech who played for a Louisville team , and Boley who played for a mountain team would the Miss Basketball mentality be different?

Feathers>

Congratulations Whitney! I know everybody has penciled in Boley as POY, but every bucket this kid scores is against double, triple and even quadruple teaming. To score the ball at 50 points a game under those circumstances is incredible.

I have to wonder if it was Creech who played for a Louisville team , and Boley who played for a mountain team would the Miss Basketball mentality be different?

Feathers>

The real question is how would Creech perform against Etown's schedule and how would Boley perform against Jenkin's schedule?

Someone asked how she does in AAU. That might also tell us a little more about comparing her to Boley. I don't think this is the thread for it, but would be an interesting conversation.

The real question is how would Creech perform against Etown's schedule and how would Boley perform against Jenkin's schedule?

Someone asked how she does in AAU. That might also tell us a little more about comparing her to Boley. I don't think this is the thread for it, but would be an interesting conversation.

Could Boley score 50 a game triple and quadruple teamed every play, under the pressure of knowing she had to score that much for her team to have a chance?

Could Boley score 50 a game triple and quadruple teamed every play, under the pressure of knowing she had to score that much for her team to have a chance?

I can't answer that question for sure, but my guess is most likely if she were in the same situation. With a coach that allows the shooting and the level of competition, yes, Boley could do it. Heck, she had 25 against a team with 4 high level D1 commits on it! Think she'd be just fine.

I'm not taking away from Ms Creech. Outstanding accomplishment for anyone in any situation! But if you want to start throwing her into the POY hat with Boley, then these are questions that will come up.