I'm Josh Moore, the new HS sports guy at the Lexington Herald-Leader...

...and I hope to serve as many fans of Kentucky high school sports as possible! I've been doing a bit of leg work for a month now in preparation for the upcoming fall sports season and have already written some stories you may have read. (Before taking a short vacation, I most recently covered Kash Daniel's announcement since Ben Roberts was en route to cover the Peach Jam.)

Here's a little bit about me. I'm from a small eastern Kentucky town called Lovely and graduated from Sheldon Clark in 2009. I got my bachelor's degree in Integrated Strategic Communication (advertising focus) and English from UK. I've been at the Herald-Leader for nearly six years, starting as a very part-time news assistant, becoming a full-time copy editor about two years ago and now realizing a dream of actually being paid real American dollars to write about sports. I'm a huge NBA fan (Go Cavs!) and own a decent-sized Power Rangers collection.

You may have heard that Mike Fields retired from the Lexington Herald-Leader in June. Mike is a tremendous individual who did more for high school athletics than is calculable with his top-notch insight, ears-to-the-ground approach and love for all things preps. It takes a special human being to stick around on the high school beat for as long as Mike did; I can only hope to do it justice. Mark Maloney, who aided in our high school coverage as well as many other events, has retired too, making the transition all the more exciting/terrifying!

Part of doing it the job justice involves re-examining what works best and what doesn't work so much in the digital world. Moving forward Kentucky.com will become an even more integral part of how we approach athletics coverage at the Herald-Leader.

My question to you is, what do you want from us? What has the H-L done that you liked? Didn't like? What would you like to see more of from us? This board is home to an array of the state's most passionate high school sports fans; your opinions matter!

If you don't mind, please spread the word that a new man is handling things at the H-L. You can follow me on Twitter @HLpreps. In the coming weeks I'll have a blog up and running that I hope you'll bookmark, too.

Only 49 days until football kicks off. Can't freakin' wait! Thanks for your time.

Tu5jxFQ.jpg

2URRIvF.jpg

(Some recent photos of me. If you spot me on the street feel free to say hello!)

Welcome aboard, Josh. The Herald-Leader is definitely one of the go to sites for prep sports news in Kentucky.

Thanks for the kind welcome, colonel-fan. I look forward to keeping that the case! I know it can be difficult to find papers (especially in smaller areas), but I want EVERY county to feel welcomed and appreciated on our website.

Welcome Josh. Hope you find a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction in your new job. Don't forget to interact on the site here from time to time during the different sports seasons. You will find lots of good info here too.

Thanks, BigVMan! I'm thrilled to take on the opportunity. I look forward to being a part of this community. Sure it'll be a good place from which to glean nuggets of info and positive relationships.

Welcome aboard I love reading the Herald keep up the good work. Can you start including NKY football teams?

I want every corner of the state to feel welcomed at the H-L and Kentucky.com. I won't lie; lengthy game stories aren't likely going to happen for NKY teams but there's no reason we can't find ways to share and tell those schools' stories in other ways.

I want every corner of the state to feel welcomed at the H-L and Kentucky.com. I won't lie; lengthy game stories aren't likely going to happen for NKY teams but there's no reason we can't find ways to share and tell those schools' stories in other ways.

Welcome aboard KJ!

I look forward to your contributions to BGP.

Well, now you've hit on the information gold mine Josh.

And I rescued my wife from Inez many moons ago as a SC grad. Good people in the Turkey Creek neck of the woods. I have many friends from Beauty and Lovely.

Welcome aboard KJ!

I look forward to your contributions to BGP.

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to BGP & best of luck in the new job! :thumb:

Thank you, Randy. Big shoes to fill, but I'm confident/crazy enough to take it on!

Welcome to BGP KJ, I think you will love it here...looking forward to reading your input.

Many thanks Jumper_Dad. Look forward to reading ya'll's comments as well.

Well, now you've hit on the information gold mine Josh.

And I rescued my wife from Inez many moons ago as a SC grad. Good people in the Turkey Creek neck of the woods. I have many friends from Beauty and Lovely.

The best thing Martin County has to offer is its people. The salt of the Earth, most of them.

Good to have you aboard!

Thanks mcpapa!

Welcome! It's awesome that you are so connected to what you do that you will reach out and join BGP to make the H-L/fan connection more of a relationship. It will be nice to share perspective, and hopefully some lively discussions can be had. :D

Thrilled to have you join our BGP family. Can't wait to read your input in the basketball forums. If you needs scores or info on teams/players. Just ask, we have many knowledgeable posters on here. I just followed you on twitter. I love keeping up with teams and players from all regions.