I'm Josh Moore, the new HS sports guy at the Lexington Herald-Leader...

Welcome aboard. :thumb:

Thanks, Deuce! Glad to see this forum is so full of welcoming folks.

Welcome! It's awesome that you are so connected to what you do that you will reach out and join BGP to make the H-L/fan connection more of a relationship. It will be nice to share perspective, and hopefully some lively discussions can be had. :D

If it weren't for fans of all types -- coaches, parents, students, toddlers, -- there wouldn't be coverage of sports period. Who's keeping up with these things if not the fans?

Thrilled to have you join our BGP family. Can't wait to read your input in the basketball forums. If you needs scores or info on teams/players. Just ask, we have many knowledgeable posters on here. I just followed you on twitter. I love keeping up with teams and players from all regions.

You've been super kind in my short foray into joining, Goldie. I can't wait to interact with ya as time goes on.

Welcome to BGP and good luck in your new position!

Thanks so much, lawildcat.

Welcome, sir.

You familiar with Gene Bartow?:lol2:

I bet that got him searching through the google machine. I am sure Josh would rather think of himself as Tommy Lasorda, versus Gene Bartow.

Ha! I was familiar with Bartow, actually. Here's hoping I can at least be a Joe B.

I am not sure about the HL. But being from NKY, look at what the KY Enquire has been doing, and do the exact opposite! The number one reason who stopped that paper is the tremendous lack of local HS sports.

Good Luck at the HL, and welcome!

I can't speak for what the Enquirer does in print or on its website, but I'm going to make every effort to have high schools represented well at the Herald-Leader.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My question to you is, what do you want from us? What has the H-L done that you liked? Didn't like? What would you like to see more of from us? This board is home to an array of the state's most passionate high school sports fans; your opinions matter!

To be quite honest with you, the only thing that I have went to the HL for over the last few years was the Fields' Notes section every Friday. I always looked forward to reading those and then if a headline caught my eye while trying to find those, then I would click and read on, but the Fields' Note were the main thing for me. I would love to see something similar because you could do quick, bullet point style writing and cover a great deal of the coverage area in one article. Of course you won't be able to cover every team, but to see the random mentions from schools that get little to no coverage was neat.

Welcome to the site KJ! Looking forward to reading your articles and hope to interact with you here on BGP!

Thanks, nku. Likewise!

Don't forget the West.

Congrats and good luck.

There's a great deal of talent out there. It might be the state's biggest hotbed right now. Definitely can't forget it ! :)

Welcome aboard. Will you be covering the All-A basketball tourney this January? Had the pleasure of having Mike Fields seated to my right for 4 days the last two years.

I can't confirm now but it's a huge event that I expect to be in attendance for. We'll have to see come winter to say for certain, though.

To be quite honest with you, the only thing that I have went to the HL for over the last few years was the Fields' Notes section every Friday. I always looked forward to reading those and then if a headline caught my eye while trying to find those, then I would click and read on, but the Fields' Note were the main thing for me. I would love to see something similar because you could do quick, bullet point style writing and cover a great deal of the coverage area in one article. Of course you won't be able to cover every team, but to see the random mentions from schools that get little to no coverage was neat.

Fields' notebook was a treasure cove of information and something I look forward to continuing in my own manner. The depth of his expertise in gathering that knowledge is something that'll be impossible to emulate (you don't just walk in on the job and replicate 40 years of experienced reporting), but I'm confident I'll be able to do things that make my work a prime destination for all HS sports fans. Stay tuned!