June Basketball

The June HS basketball period is just two weeks away. Who is having local team camps other than usual Transy, Gtown? Who and what are you watching for? Some of the things and I watching for is:

-Who will step up for Cov Cath to help Flood and CVH

-The seniors at Holmes is the group that won state in middle school. Will Holmes be a leader in the 9th

-Dixie lost everybody but Meyer, who steps up them

-Does McNeil prove he is the best player in the region

-Of course who are the young kids who are going to make a name for themselves starting this summer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Holmes' June schedule:

6/1 @ Lexcath (2 games)

6/3-6/4 @ Simon Kenton

6/8-6/9 @ Boyd Co

6/11 v Lafayette & Boone Co (1:00 and 3:00 ...Boone v Lafayette 2:00)

6/15 v Dixie Heights & Oldham Co (5:00 & 6:00...Dixie v Oldham 7:00)

6/18-6/19 @ Fairdale

6/22-6/23 Holmes Shootout

(Highlands, Warren Central, Pendleton Co, Lloyd, Lexcath, Williamstown, Dixie, Mason Co...Schedule TBD)

Summer basketball is a great time to develop younger players and get a read on the best style to play on the upcoming season. Many players are there one game, gone the next so its hard to get a true feel on teams. Not to mention coaches will be fostering skill development as the season progresses. That doesn't mean I won't have fun over reacting to June basketball game results!

The June HS basketball period is just two weeks away. Who is having local team camps other than usual Transy, Gtown? Who and what are you watching for? Some of the things and I watching for is:

-Who will step up for Cov Cath to help Flood and CVH

-The seniors at Holmes is the group that won state in middle school. Will Holmes be a leader in the 9th

-Dixie lost everybody but Meyer, who steps up them

-Does McNeil prove he is the best player in the region

-Of course who are the young kids who are going to make a name for themselves starting this summer

To answer your questions...

1. I'm interested to see Ziegelmeyer this year for CCH and see if he lives up to the hype that I've heard about him. I expect AJ Mayer to start to make a name for himself as a sophomore but the key for the Colonels will be the senior class of Heppler, Sweeney, Massie, and Lenhof. Also think the soph to be class could push those seniors to get better over the summer as CCH will have enough depth that it will be a war for minutes.

2. Holmes obviously loses two studs in Bolden and Avery but return enough talent and experience to likely be preseason #2 in the region. Mullins and McClendon will be as good a guard duo as any other in the 9th region but how Arnold, Moore, and soph to be Raavai Commodore transition to major varsity roles will determine how good they can be. Jaiden Green could be an X factor as either a starter or 6th-7th man, along with senior shooter Brennon Englemon.

3. For Dixie, I expect senior Holmes transfer Ian Brolley to step in as a starter once he becomes eligible in December. He has had a great summer from everything I've heard and will be a Liam Rabe type player for the Colonels next season. As far as the younger kids go, Reed Bradfield, and current frosh Tyler Schreck (Austin Schreck's younger brother), and AJ Plitzuweit (NKU Women's head coach son) will probably be counted on to either start or provide major minutes. Dixie will be young and have some growing pains but will be competitive.

4. McNeil should have a great season and will definitely be a POY candidate. Hendrix and Kunkel should provide enough help to keep opposing teams from constantly keying on him.

I heard all teams and players are only allowed to wear Chuck Taylors this June. You know ... worried about kids getting hurt and everything. :rolleyes: :sssh:

(Sorry if you don't get the joke ... I am sure football followers will understand.)

I get it and like it. Clever enough.

school basketball in June is ruining AAU. is there a petition somewhere I can sign against it?

I would think that would be just the OPPOSITE situation, playing is good but the MANY bad habits developed in AAU hurts high school basketball!!

Please tell me this is sarcasm

Nope. Lucky to have some really great AAU coaches. Not saying that they were all great over the years but for the most part, excellent experience. Two of them were top flight guys that could out x/o just about anybody around.

Here is Holmes' June schedule:

6/1 @ Lexcath (2 games)

6/3-6/4 @ Simon Kenton

6/8-6/9 @ Boyd Co

6/11 v Lafayette & Boone Co (1:00 and 3:00 ...Boone v Lafayette 2:00)

6/15 v Dixie Heights & Oldham Co (5:00 & 6:00...Dixie v Oldham 7:00)

6/18-6/19 @ Fairdale

6/22-6/23 Holmes Shootout

(Highlands, Warren Central, Pendleton Co, Lloyd, Lexcath, Williamstown, Dixie, Mason Co...Schedule TBD)

I wouldn't mind to watch Holmes/SK game.

school basketball in June is ruining AAU. is there a petition somewhere I can sign against it?

Nobody is making kids play school basketball in June and nobody is making AAU teams not compete in June. Tell your favorite AAU team to host a tournament in June and make the kids choose which one is more important to them. AAU is good for one thing: exposure. If you aren't good enough to play D-1(which ironically is 99.8% of our KY kids) then AAU is a colossal waste of time and money. It's not about making the kids better individual players it's about being able to brag about which program spits out more top notch talent. AAU helps some talent achieve but overall it ruins the game of basketball and is the reason basketball sucks at all levels these days.

All the talking heads in basketball say we are headed to club basketball anyways. Jump start it and fire the first shot. Get the ball rolling and get club basketball on its way. :thumb: