June Basketball

It's absurd that the KHSAA allows June basketball yet bans 7on7 football.

Trade off. Football not allowed to do anything against other schools in June, boy's basketball not allowed to do anything against other schools in July.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade off. Football not allowed to do anything against other schools in June, boy's basketball not allowed to do anything against other schools in July.

It's not a trade off. July is a time where teams are starting to go full throttle into pre-season practice for football. Position specific techniques and drills take so much time as does installing offenses and defensive schemes. July is a terrible time for teams to try and squeeze in 7on7s.

There are so many opportunities for kids to play basketball outside of the realm of school ball during the summer. There is NO REASON for the KHSAA to not allow 7on7's during June. The rest of the south does it, yet Kentucky can't? It just makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I love the roundball (I watched OHS win state this year) but Kentucky high school football coaches are being handcuffed by this rule. Football is a sport that takes a ton of reps, and getting that timing down early on gives players a chance to develop. I just don't see a valid reason for not allowing 7on7's in June.

It's not a trade off. July is a time where teams are starting to go full throttle into pre-season practice for football. Position specific techniques and drills take so much time as does installing offenses and defensive schemes. July is a terrible time for teams to try and squeeze in 7on7s.

There are so many opportunities for kids to play basketball outside of the realm of school ball during the summer. There is NO REASON for the KHSAA to not allow 7on7's during June. The rest of the south does it, yet Kentucky can't? It just makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I love the roundball (I watched OHS win state this year) but Kentucky high school football coaches are being handcuffed by this rule. Football is a sport that takes a ton of reps, and getting that timing down early on gives players a chance to develop. I just don't see a valid reason for not allowing 7on7's in June.

I would agree. Surprised that football coaches allowed this and did not fight harder against. This is the result of the KABC and being organized. When your organized and active you become influential. However, football does get an organized spring practice. The problem was bickering over kids. 7on7 and summer league basketball. Football coaches were wanting them all summer arguing that their season is starting first. What they disregarded was if your best basketball players are on the football team and the football team makes the playoffs, Those players miss pretty much your whole preseason in basketball. The state football finals dont end til December. Not many football coaches would be happy missing their starting QB for a month. This happens to basketball. This is the argument that the KABC used.

How many games are 7 on 7 in regular season?

None. Ive never really understood it. pretty much glorified two hand touch passing. Fairdale won a league defeating St. X one summer. Anyone can throw when no pressure. Throwing teams I can see getting some benefit.

My question for the KHSAA is: Why do kids have to choose at all? Let summer basketball and 7on7's go at the same time. Most schools share athletes but the odds of having games fall on the same time and date are minimal. Hard core basketball kids will play summer basketball and the kids that are locked in to football will go to 7on7s. The inbetween kids will work it out. I favor giving kids more opportunities, not limiting them.

My question for the KHSAA is: Why do kids have to choose at all? Let summer basketball and 7on7's go at the same time. Most schools share athletes but the odds of having games fall on the same time and date are minimal. Hard core basketball kids will play summer basketball and the kids that are locked in to football will go to 7on7s. The inbetween kids will work it out. I favor giving kids more opportunities, not limiting them.

The problem is that a lot of coaches at schools where kids play more than one sport do not work it out, nor do they want to. The kid is told that if you miss this, then someone else might 'outwork' you for your spot. Stuff like that. Been going on for years.

The problem is that a lot of coaches at schools where kids play more than one sport do not work it out, nor do they want to. The kid is told that if you miss this, then someone else might 'outwork' you for your spot. Stuff like that. Been going on for years.

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent. However, the cream will rise to the top and most coaches are going to play their best players regardless. Keep in mind, high school coaches are paid and if they don't win most schools will find someone else to coach their team. Most coaches are going to play their best players, even if they're mulit-sport athletes.

Not true. They conflict constantly. Football teams were playing in leagues two or three days a week and tournaments or camps on the weekends same as basketball. Some kids were playing football in the morning and basketball at night. It does make it difficult on multisport athletes.

What??? This isn't a "I hate AAU" and "I'm jealous basketball can play in the summer and football can't" thread.

I love summer basketball and AAU baskeball. I'm just for kids having as many opportunities as possible. I don't see the reason for them not to. No jealousy, just wondering why kids aren't given valuable opportunities for reps. Carry on.

:thumb: