Are most public schools abandoning their football programs?

From the listserv:

As with about 9 out of 10 schools in KY, Trigg County High School is looking to fill assistant coaching positions. Not sure of teaching opportunities at this time. If you have an interest please contact coby.lewis@trigg.kyschools.us

=============================

Think about it, there are a lot of openings and many of them don't necessarily include teaching positions.

Certainly a far cry from the past.

What's new?

Have had 3 head coaching jobs at different schools in 20 years--one a small city-school, one a mid-size county school, and one a large urban school. Not one year at any of those have I had more than one assistant coach with a teaching position in the building.

Principal at one of those schools when hired basically told me I'd get support, but don't ever count on getting assistants in the building.

As I was told by a good coaching buddy after I complained about things like this, "well, you know, we all made our own life choices. Nobody put a gun to our heads to do this and we pretty much knew what we were getting into."

Answer to the problem(s): have low expectations for what you need, you'll be less disappointed. (and also, don't read articles/forum posts about coaching in Georgia or Texas)

I don't know if abandoning is the word I would use. I would say that football is sliding down the list of priorities at many places, and it will continue to do so. Ultimately, a community gets what it demands and what is a priority.

Numbers are decreasing in most places, even places where football has been relatively successful recently and for an extended period of time. The lower numbers make it less of a priority. There are fewer people that care/see it as important.

And, to be clear, I do NOT include Mason or Mercer as schools where this happening. The numbers are a little less at both places as compared to 5-6 years ago, as it is most places. But, both systems still place a priority on good teacher/coaches being in the building, which are important to the program.

And, both places try to do a good job with facilities and funding the program. Nothing over the top, but fair and at a level that the kids are safe and can have a high level of success.

I love coaching KY HS Football and I am proud of the many good coaches, players, and teams I've seen take the field since I was first on the sideline with my dad over 40 years ago. But, in my opinion, it takes a tough son of a gun to coach football in this state.

I think at @Hellcats made a good observation.

For what it's worth, I read an email forwarded to me that was sent from the Super of a school district to the Middle and High School admins recently where he was encouraging them to hire teacher/coaches into the several openings that they have in the district right now.

...and, it's not exactly a place known for football prestige over the years. Solid program in basketball, but football hasn't necessarily been the fan fav over the years.

I'll ask if I can copy the email to here.

Football/education is a lot like fashion. 15+ years ago and beyond, coaching a sport was tied into the teaching job a lot of times. It put you at the top of the ladder. Since then? Not so much. But, I'm holding out hope that the old ways of thinking will become the 'new' thing again. One can hope, right?

Coaches get a bad name as teachers. Today schools have to worry about test scores, CCR, etc or administrators lose their jobs.

Hard to gamble on a coach because of the stereotype. It's a bad stereotype but it does exist.

In interviews I was told not to mention athletics. That's sad because I feel athletics contributes to my role as an educator and to our schools success. My current job wasn't like that because it's home, but the previous two interviews I had were.

I can't speak for all the schools in ky, but as far as kenton county I see a great effort to update the facilities and keep the programs appealing to the kids . At least for Sk, and Scott, They both have come along way from what they used to be and alot of that is the facilities and coaching

Coaches get a bad name as teachers. Today schools have to worry about test scores, CCR, etc or administrators lose their jobs.

Hard to gamble on a coach because of the stereotype. It's a bad stereotype but it does exist.

In interviews I was told not to mention athletics. That's sad because I feel athletics contributes to my role as an educator and to our schools success. My current job wasn't like that because it's home, but the previous two interviews I had were.

No doubt it does.

But, as I know you are aware of, there are plenty a bad Betty Jo English teacher who are the same.

..fact is, the public doesn't care about her, though. They might say they do. It looks good to say they do, but they don't.

It's a lot more enjoyable to throw darts at Bobby Joe PE/Soc.Studies/Special Education teacher who also happens to coach football.

Edited by Harry Doyle

No doubt it does.

But, as I know you are aware of, there are plenty a bad Betty Jo English teacher who are the same.

..fact is, the public doesn't care about her, though. They might say they do. It looks good to say they do, but they don't.

It'd a lot more enjoyable to throw darts at Bobby Joe PE/Soc.Studies/Special Education teacher who also happens to coach football.

No doubt. It's a double standard. If neither are productive in the classroom, the coach is at least contributing to the school.

How teachers teach depends a ton on the culture of the school and district. I see no reason that a coach wouldn't be among the best teachers in the school. Depending on the demands of the job the HC of a sport may need a lighter class load (at the really big or really small schools), but most coaches do a good job in the classroom when the expectations at that school are high.

Guys let's be realistic over the past half century the role of men has changed in the family. With a great percentage of women in the workforce , young family guys don't have the time to take on jobs that pay like hobbies, yet require more time than teaching.

Add this to the factors of increased responsibility in education, and sometimes it's just easier to get a job in the public, go home at the end of the day, and sit in the stands on Friday night.

The asssistant coaching issue of not being a teacher in the building is nothing new. I have been an assistant for 20+ years at mainly smaller schools and trying to get enough help coaching is difficult period and almost impossible to get them in house. Often in small schools you see the basketball coaches coaching football and vice versa or at least some other sports throughout the year. Paraprofessional coaches have and will likely always be an important part of most coaching staffs. they often do not get paid or if they do it is pennies on the hour. They do it for the love of the sport and to help kids. and in some cases to help their kids.

If football is taking a hit in being abandoned it has to do with the insane amount of time coaches and players have to put in. The seasons are too long! there is no off season. I firmly believe that is why injuries are on the rise. The players have little if no time to let their bodies heal and rest. from lifting to conditioning, spring ball, 7-7's, Summer camps, etc etc. its crazy. then throw in if the player is a multi sport athlete, aau etc. Bodies need recovery time not just a day here or there but several days if not weeks. so does the mind. this is my morning rant, but until the length of seasons are addressed the issue of injuries and poor image of the sport will continue to digress!

1. It takes a special kind of Supt. and Principal to understand the value of the relationships cultivated by coaches in the building. Value is the key word...those coaches need not only to lead successful ventures on the field, but set a foundation for a good environment in the school.

2. Those coaches need to do their jobs! Too often, school administrators turn sour on hiring coaches as teachers because of one bad apple who decides to be on constant cruise control from 8-3. Earning the trust of your leadership is vital to the continued growth of coaches in a building.

3. Test scores vs. ball scores...While athletics are the only scores that you see in the paper every week, for many administrators, the only time sports becomes important is when they have issues land in their front office. With those, you must understand the importance of convincing your administration that potential hires can impact test scores and ball scores!

4. During my career, I have gone from having a skeletal staff of assistants in my building to having as many as any public school could realistically hope for. I am thankful for the supportive administrators that have supported that growth but can promise you that the growth has been sustained because of the quality work of those hired in the building, on the field, and in the community.

Guys let's be realistic over the past half century the role of men has changed in the family. With a great percentage of women in the workforce , young family guys don't have the time to take on jobs that pay like hobbies, yet require more time than teaching.

Add this to the factors of increased responsibility in education, and sometimes it's just easier to get a job in the public, go home at the end of the day, and sit in the stands on Friday night.

I believe the 24x7x365 culture of HS football needs to be curtailed. It has gotten to the point where you have to be single or married without children, or, be empty nesters in order to coach. I have a son who is going to bring home 2 C's and D this year. Next year, his academics need to be my priority and I simply can't afford to allow coaching demands to conflict with that agenda.