Are most public schools abandoning their football programs?

Most administrators, if they are being honest, would rather not have athletics, at all. Many see it as a distraction that causes them nothing but grief.

That said, sports (especially football) are vitally important to the success of a school. A great example would be Boyle County... Before they started winning State Championships in football, Boyle was just another county school - now they are a Distinguished school.

I agree that a lot of coaches don't do the profession any favors, but most of that can be alleviated by communication. People will blame tenure, but bad teachers usually reflect poor leadership. If an administrator effectively communicates expectations and follows up, most will come around. The rest CAN be fired, but the admin needs to show cause. That said, a lot of administrators spend more time at meetings, conferences, & trainings than they do in the building - and that is the fault of central office staff, superintendents, and board members.

Finally, it is harder and harder for young people to justify the time and effort of teaching, much less coaching. The workload, stakes, and time away from family just aren't justified by the paychecks, anymore.

The listserv is full of schools looking for asst coaches offering teaching jobs. Pretty sure those coaches have gotten permission from principals. I don't think it's the schools and administration. I believe those people aren't there to hire as qualified teachers and coaches.

The listserv is full of schools looking for asst coaches offering teaching jobs. Pretty sure those coaches have gotten permission from principals. I don't think it's the schools and administration. I believe those people aren't there to hire as qualified teachers and coaches.

They often apply and don't get hired or don't even get an interview.

I can't speak for all the schools in ky, but as far as kenton county I see a great effort to update the facilities and keep the programs appealing to the kids . At least for Sk, and Scott, They both have come along way from what they used to be and alot of that is the facilities and coaching

Is the money for sports allocated in the school budget? Some counties are like Boone where nothing comes from the academic budget for any sports. It all through boosters and fundraising.

I can't speak for other counties or programs, but it seems like in Fayette County public schools. They have had numerous a turnover in the head coaching job. The longest tenure is Henry Clay's coach, Station has had 5 coaches in 7 years, Dunbar at least 6 in 8 years, Lafayette 4 in 8 years and Creek 4 in 6-7 years. Not sure why.

Creeks coach isn't a teacher at, all he's a law enforcement officer and I don't know if he's in the building or not. The previous coach quit after about 8 years of not being able to get 1 assistant in the building.

Just because the Head Coach says there are teaching positions available does NOT mean that coaches will definitely be hired for those positions.

But, I agree with you inasmuch as there are fewer people entering the professions of teaching/coaching. Money is just not good enough to justify the investment of time and money (grad school).

I guess I would say that most assistants are maybe more tied to an area than HCs, who make more money and can more afford the moving involved.

I would think a young asst looking for a teaching and coaching job will go just about anywhere.

My school has had one applicant in 10 years and posted a job about every year. Hired that guy and he's been there since.

No nobody put a gun to your head but that is a shame that the admin care that little about kids!!! Think about it, they have a sport and don't support the kids that play. And the south would fire a principal like that, he wouldn't last the school year.