Math Problem

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife showed this to me a couple of days ago. I didn't seriously try to solve it but could follow the logic from the solution.

My answer would be that Cheryl never has a birthday party - she drove all her friends away by refusing to tell them her birthday.

I've read the answer sheet 3 times and still can't follow the logic!

I am solid at math and at least know somewhat where to begin with these logic type questions. This one I am not even seeing where to begin? What am I missing here?

Really helped me when I wrote out the dates like this:

May 15 16 19

June 17 18

July 14 16

Aug 14 15 17

* BGP won't let me keep the spacing that entered.

I gotta go with June 18th looking at it that way.

It's a doozy of a logic problem. The story going around with it was that this was from a math exam for 14-year-olds somewhere in Asia.

From what I understand, they gave it to 5th graders to see who could do it and it is actually for 9th graders.

What I read on it was:

'Originally, Mr. Kong said this was a problem inflicted on fifth-graders, leading to hand-wringing that Singapore children were way better at math than everyone else in the world and worries that Singapore children were being mentally abused with convoluted logic at a young age. However, it turned out the problem actually came from a math olympiad test for math-savvy high school-age students.'

Still does not make me feel any better that I had to read the answer sheet to figure it out. :lol:

I am solid at math and at least know somewhat where to begin with these logic type questions. This one I am not even seeing where to begin? What am I missing here?

It seems to be poorly worded. Someone rewrote it when I was looking for the answer and it makes a lot more sense.