Ranking the positions the Bengals need to address in the draft

The Bengals did a lot in Free Agency. I like how they worked the Vet Minimum stock.

With FA pretty much behind us I think the Bengals need to address:

1. Offensive line and more specifically offensive tackle. We are long in the tooth at OT, we can't count on Smith, and Whit can play guard too. I think OT should be the Bengals #1 priority.

2. Linebacker, we have too many questions and too many average at best pro LBs on the roster.

3. Tight End, we need someone that is a gifted blocker but also able to participate in the passing offense. We may end up signing Gresh or Smith back as stop gaps but we need help at TE.

4. Depending on Atkins health, maybe DT.

5. At some point we are going to have to address our safeties. Average at best group with suspect depth.

6. Unlike many others I would only go after a WR if it was someone I couldn't say no to. I think we are set at WR.

How would you rank the Bengals needs in the draft?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one else?

You don't have to go into depth, what positions should the Bengals be looking at?

1st round tackle Erving or the tackle from Miami Hurricanes.

2nd round TE.

3rd round WR Dorsett from Miami and UC linebacker Luc.

4th round DE Smith from UK.

I still think the first round will be a OL or DL in the first round. Still see no way the draft just a pure linebacker in the first round, unless it is a guy that is a tweener between DE and linebacker. Now after the first round though I do think they will definitely draft a linebacker in 2nd or 3rd round.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Guru's list with one big exception - WR. I think our WR's are average at best outside of AJ. If you don't draft a WR, you are putting your faith in a guy who had a flash of success and then couldn't get on the field last year (Jones) and a guy who had the worst hands in the NFL last year (Sanu).

1. OL - I have been talking OL the past few drafts. I was amazed they didn't do more the last couple years to add quality to the OL. Yes, Bodine last year but that was round 4 and the Bengals basically had no one on the depth chart at LG or C entering the draft. They were forced to start a 4th round pick the entire season last year because they were so thin on the OL.

2A and 2B. LB or WR - Tough call between LB and WR for the #2 priority. I would go with the best player at either position then go to the other with the next pick. Both positions are in about the same condition with injury concerns and lack of quality players creating the same problem at both. I look at WR in this draft the way I looked at OL the last couple years. I am surprised other people don't think it is a big priority.

4. TE - Nothing but question marks here. They have to add a TE in the draft.

5. DB - I am not fixated on safety. I could go CB also. CB is such a critical position on the field that I take a CB over a safety if that is the best player on the board.

6. DL - The addition of Sims and Johnson. Atkins will be back after getting a full off season of work in. Thompson added quality depth last season. Peko still serviceable. I am not real concerned about DL. It would not bother me if they drafted no one on DL and focused their picks on the above much bigger needs.

They again are in the best player available mode. I think they will take any position but QB RB and WR

Ranking them:

OT

LB

Safety

TE

DT

DE

WR

QB

RB

I think this is pretty darn close, as far as positions that need addressed. But, I too, think that they may jump over a position, so to speak, if the best player available fills a gap a spot or two down.