Braves Trade Kimbrel & Melvin Upton to Padres

Braves dump all of BJ, er....Melvins contract but have to give up Kimbrel too.

Get a couple prospects, Cameron Maybin and Carlos Quentin. Probably going to designate Quentin for assignment.

Didn't see this posted. Crazy off-season for Atlanta.

The Braves get a fairly high pick. They get a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. Another young prospect that was the padres 2nd rounder in 2013, he hit .286 last season in rookie ball to go along with a .386 OBP. Most importantly like has already been said is they dumped Uptons crazy contract. They also get Maybin who I know hasn't been very good and was banged up last year but he's still relatively young with potential and will probably start in CF from day 1.

Kimbrel is no doubt one of the best but he was of no use to a rebuilding ball club. Closing games has really no value if your team isn't winning a lot of games and after seeing the Braves 25 man roster I fail to see them competing.

As a reds fan I hope the reds do something similar with Chapman if they decide it's finally time to rebuild. Hopefully the Reds could get a better haul in return but the Braves did a good job considering they had to find a suitor for Melvin's ridiculous salary.

This will be the Braves' worst season since Dale Murphy was on the team. A virtual certainty.

True but think about it, is anyone beating Washington? Nope, so why not have the tank year this year, when you have no chance anyways, and be ready in a few when Washington is going to have payroll decisions to make.

Great trade for the Padres. Unless the Braves do great things with the $58 million that they are saving on Upton and nail the draft pick this looks like a mediocre deal for the Braves. They could have gotten a much better haul if they'd have just held on to Upton and just eaten the last year of his contact when they were ready to contend in 2017.