Jeff Gordon wins Daytona Pole in "Last" Season

Jumper_Dad

Jeff Gordon gratified by pole, but others leave Daytona fuming

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Jeff Gordon won likely the most contentious pole in Daytona 500 history on Sunday. But the 43-year-old four-time series champion wouldn't begrudge his second start at the front of the field in NASCAR's premier event, no matter how he earned it.

Most of his counterparts had other opinions.

"Mayhem," driver Denny Hamlin called the first use of group elimination format qualifying in the race. "There's no other word to describe it."

Kyle Larson, however, tried "pathetic," David Ragan "gimmicky."

Vantage point, as usual was critical, but the knockout session was not so much a repeat of the bizarre circumstances that occurred at fellow restrictor plate venue Talladega Superspeedway last fall. It was an expansion.

At Talladega, teams attempted to bleed as much time from the qualifying clock as possible before making an attempt, ran in team- or manufacturer-sorted packs with the car not at the head of the drafting line fastest because of aerodynamics. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Justin Allgaier missed the race after failing to log an official run before time in their first qualifying session elapsed.

How? These cars where hitting 200 mph last night.

Gordon gets pole in his last year? Johnson cheats, gets caught, still wins championships. Danica gets the pole the year Godaddy signs a huge sponsorship deal with NASCAR. Come on, Vince laughs at how rigged it is.

Edited by plantmanky

Couldnt care less about Nascar but I did see on ESPN where Ms Danicka went wild on some guy .. would have been AWESOME if he would have flown off the handle and land hands on her like she did him. I get entirely sick of lil ms race car diver .

If you don't care about Nascar, why would you care about her?

Couldnt care less about Nascar but I did see on ESPN where Ms Danicka went wild on some guy .. would have been AWESOME if he would have flown off the handle and land hands on her like she did him. I get entirely sick of lil ms race car diver .

That would not happen Stewart was standing 5 feet behind her waiting to jump in.

2nd time this week Hamlin wrecked her.