Back To The Future - A Better Way

ChiefSmoke

After a lifetime of hearing complaints about the bowl system, then the BCS, and now the Playoff System, I think a return to the old Bowl setup would be great. If I had any doubts, the Big 12 Commissioner deciding to split the title between Baylor and TCU after Baylor won, despite their written guidelines, convinces me a return to the old setup would be the route to go.

So, is this really so bad for a major bowl lineup? Here is a great slate of football, it lets the players have more of a life after January 1st, and the current set up to determine a national champ is not THAT clear cut.

Sugar Bowl (New Year's Eve-like the early 70s) Alabama (SEC) vs. Michigan St.

Cotton Bowl ( January 1st, Noon) Baylor (Big 12 Champ/former SWC member) vs. Mississippi State.

Rose Bowl (January 1st, 4 pm) Oregon (Pac 12) vs. Ohio St. (Big Ten)

Orange Bowl ( January 1st, 8 pm) Florida St. (ACC) vs. TCU (highest ranked team similar to a team from the old Big 8 which included Nebraska & Oklahoma).

Play the games, Coaches vote for a Champion (AFCA-like old UPI poll); Writers vote for an AP Champion, MAYBE the same team wins both, let people argue/talk about college football all winter. :thumb:

College Football Rankings 1970's

Edited by mcpapa
Minor spell change

After a lifetime of hearing complaints about the bowl system, then the BCS, and now the Playoff System, I think a return to the old Bowl setup would be great. If I had any doubts, the Big 12 Commissioner deciding to split the title between Baylor and TCU after Baylor won, despite their written guidelines, convinces me a return to the old setup would be the route to go.

So, is this really so bad for a major bowl lineup? Hear is a great slate of football, it lets the players have more of a life after January 1st, and the current set up to determine a national champ is not THAT clear cut.

Sugar Bowl (New Year's Eve-like the early 70s) Alabama (SEC) vs. Michigan St.

Cotton Bowl ( January 1st, Noon) Baylor (Big 12 Champ/former SWC member) vs. Mississippi State.

Rose Bowl (January 1st, 4 pm) Oregon (Pac 12) vs. Ohio St. (Big Ten)

Orange Bowl ( January 1st, 8 pm) Florida St. (ACC) vs. TCU (highest ranked team similar to a team from the old Big 8 which included Nebraska & Oklahoma).

Play the games, Coaches vote for a Champion (AFCA-like old UPI poll); Writers vote for an AP Champion, MAYBE the same team wins both, let people argue/talk about college football all winter. :thumb:

College Football Rankings 1970's

In all likelihood, without a CFP that seemed to help drive FSU down the polls, you're likely looking at an FSU champion without having to go through a top team like Alabama or Oregon. Maybe they don't even beat TCU, but still. I can't see many feeling that is a more satisfying model.

• Like 1

:ohbrother::no::no::no::no::no:

You didn't like this the last time I brought it up. :lol2:

I understand. I just disagree in that I think the positives of the old system outweigh each new system that still can't get a definitive champ. It's not like the lower divisions or the NCAA basketball tournament, and I am good with that. I also know & understand most people disagree. Maybe I am just old and miss those great bowl games on New Years Day! :sssh:

Edited by Randy Parker

What would be the goal of returning to the old bowl system? We have great and meaningful games on New Years and we also have a mechanism for deciding a National Champion. I think, even with the warts of the BCS and the current playoff, the progression of systems have been a vast improvement.

• Like 1

You didn't like this the last time I brought it up. :lol2:

I understand. I just disagree in that I think the positives of the old system outweigh each new system that still can't get a definitive champ. It's not like the lower divisions or the NCAA baskettball tournament, and I am good with that. I also know & understand most people disagree. Maybe I am just old and miss those great bowl games on New Years Day! :sssh:

At least this makes for great New Year's Day match ups. The BCS basically ruined January 1 for me the last 10 years.

• Like 1

What would be the goal of returning to the old bowl system? We have great and meaningful games on New Years and we also have a mechanism for deciding a National Champion. I think, even with the warts of the BCS and the current playoff, the progression of systems have been a vast improvement.

You have great games on New Year's Day, reduce the wear and tear on the players, make it more cost effective for fan bases to follow their team, give the players a longer break away from football before spring ball.

Bottom line, making a true #1 is not as important to me, and it is not happening anyway, even with the changes that have been made.

I wonder what Art Briles thinks about the playoff right now, it's legitimacy, etc. ?? If I am him, I think it is garbage.

I understand your point, and it is good one. I just disagree.

At least this makes for great New Year's Day match ups. The BCS basically ruined January 1 for me the last 10 years.

LAST YEAR

Dec. 31

Chick-fil-A Bowl, at Atlanta

Texas A&M (9-4) defeated Duke (10-4) 52-48

Jan. 1

Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl, Jacksonville, Fla.

Nebraska (9-4) defeated Georgia (8-5) 24-19

Capital One Bowl, at Orlando, Fla.

South Carolina (11-2) defeated Wisconsin (9-4) 34-24

Outback Bowl, at Tampa, Fla.

Louisiana State (10-3) defeated Iowa (8-5) 21-14

Rose Bowl presented by VIZIO, at Pasadena, Calif.

Michigan State (13-1) defeated Stanford (11-3) 24-20

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, at Glendale, Ariz.

Central Florida (12-1) defeated Baylor (11-2) 52-42

Yeah these games on New Years Eve and Day don't look like they were very good at all...I can see how they ruined your day:lol2:

The ones the year before were pretty awful too...

Dec. 31

Chick-fil-A -- Clemson 25, LSU 24

Jan. 1

Gator -- Northwestern 34, Mississippi State 20

Capital One -- Georgia 45, Nebraska 31

Outback -- South Carolina 33, Michigan 28

Bottom Line regardless of system there are going to be great games and some blowouts

At least now we are closer to determining an actual undisputed champ...not there 100% but closer

You have great games on New Year's Day, reduce the wear and tear on the players, make it more cost effective for fan bases to follow their team, give the players a longer break away from football before spring ball.

Bottom line, making a true #1 is not as important to me, and it is not happening anyway, even with the changes that have been made.

I wonder what Art Briles thinks about the playoff right now, it's legitimacy, etc. ?? If I am him, I think it is garbage.

I understand your point, and it is good one. I just disagree.

Fair enough. Reasonable minds can disagree.

I will say, to your point about Art Briles: 1. beat West Virginia and you don't have this issue and 2. your conference did as much to hurt you as it did in an attempt to help you- tell Bowlsby that you want the conference to develop and stick with a mechanism to break ties for conference titles or, better yet, add two teams to your conference and get a title game.