Back To The Future - A Better Way

ChiefSmoke

Ew, that would have been awful games to see. The closest game there would have been the Georgia vs Baylor matchup and that game really wasn’t even that close. Not to mention we would have ended the season with 3 undefeated teams, and never knowing who the true National Champ was.

I’m sorry but that system was horrible.

I understand and respect your opinion. You are “future coach”. My name should be...”ReallyOldCoach”! :)

The old mythical system didn’t work. It was whichever team had the most media power in their section of the country. Notre Dame and Michigan St tied in their game 10-10 in 1966 season and both ended with no losses and that one tie. Alabama was undefeated the same season. Voters gave the national title to Notre Dame. Go figure.

• 11 months later...

Getting this out early so as not to interfere with any Festivus activities later in the month....expecting 2020 to be a BIG year for Festivus... will need several opportunities for the airing of grievances. 

New Year's Eve (last day of 2020!)

Sugar : Alabama vs. Notre Dame (National Championship)

Peach: Georgia vs. Indiana

Gator : Coastal Carolina vs. Iowa

Astro Blue-Bonnet Bowl: Northwestern vs. Oklahoma

New Year's Day:

Rose: USC vs. Ohio State

Orange: Iowa St. vs. Miami

Cotton: Texas A & M vs. Clemson

Fiesta: Florida vs. Cincinnati

Back in the old days, the bowls meant more and all the good players played. Coach Saban is correct, the playoffs have diminished the value of the bowls. If great players skip bowls, don't be mad at the players. Be mad at the adults that set this up.

Looks like a great Bowl Line Up!

Merry Christmas and Happy Festivus!

• 1 year later...

Would have been a great bowl slate. Miss watching football on these two days with my Dad. Here is what we would be watching pre-playoff system. My preference is this lineup. 

New Year's Eve (last day of 2021!)

Sugar : Alabama vs. Cincinnati (National Championship)

Peach: Kentucky vs. Michigan State

Gator : Wake Forest vs. Oregon

Astro Blue-Bonnet Bowl: Pitt vs. Oklahoma

New Year's Day:

Rose: Utah vs. Michigan

Orange: Oklahoma State vs. Ohio State

Cotton: Baylor vs. Ole Miss

Fiesta: Georgia vs. Notre Dame

I'd be all for the old bowl system for 2 reasons.

1) We need to cut back on bowl games.   No offense, but finishing 6-6 or 7-5 doesn't make me think, wow great team, they deserve a bowl game.

2) It cheapens the bowl results.  Win or lose next week, you think people in Alabama are going to be sporting 2021 Cotton Bowl champion shirts?  Nope.  With all the history and greatness the Cotton Bowl produced over the years, today it was reduced to an afterthought game.  Cincys season is over, Alabama moves on.  Who cares about the Cotton Bowl result?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Raven said:

2) It cheapens the bowl results.  Win or lose next week, you think people in Alabama are going to be sporting 2021 Cotton Bowl champion shirts?  Nope.  With all the history and greatness the Cotton Bowl produced over the years, today it was reduced to an afterthought game.  Cincys season is over, Alabama moves on.  Who cares about the Cotton Bowl result?

Another point today.  Ohio St. has a truckload of guys sitting out the ROSE BOWL.  That used to be WHY you went to OSU.   To Beat Michigan and play in the Rose Bowl.  Not anymore.  It's been reduced to a meaningless game, just there to fill airtime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Another point today.  Ohio St. has a truckload of guys sitting out the ROSE BOWL.  That used to be WHY you went to OSU.   To Beat Michigan and play in the Rose Bowl.  Not anymore.  It's been reduced to a meaningless game, just there to fill airtime.

And get a healthy payday for the University. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Yep. Just like Coach Saban said it would happen. And, don’t blame the players. They didn’t make it this way. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 9:18 PM, The Raven said:

I'd be all for the old bowl system for 2 reasons.

1) We need to cut back on bowl games.   No offense, but finishing 6-6 or 7-5 doesn't make me think, wow great team, they deserve a bowl game.

Last year UK had a worse than 6-6 season and went on to beat a ranked NC State.  I would say UK deserved a bowl.  Also last year, Ole Miss had a worse than 6-6 season and went on to beat  top 10 Indiana.  I think Ole Miss deserved a bowl also.

I never understood the notion that 6-6 teams should not get in when top conferences like the SEC can have some pretty respectable 6-6 teams.  Also, not allowing 6-6 just encourages teams to water down the out of conference schedule even worse than they already do now.

Throw 2020 out of any equation.  COVID made last season virtually impossible to say one way or another who deserved what.  OSU made the playoff and only played what 5 games total?

If the 2021 UK team went 6-6, would the have deserved a bowl if there were only the traditional 8 to 10 bowl games?

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Throw 2020 out of any equation.  COVID made last season virtually impossible to say one way or another who deserved what.  OSU made the playoff and only played what 5 games total?

If the 2021 UK team went 6-6, would the have deserved a bowl if there were only the traditional 8 to 10 bowl games?

Yes they would deserve a bowl and that is why I am glad there are more than 8 to 10 bowls so they and other teams can play in one.