Emerald Ash Borer

lawildcat

The Emerald Ash Borer has officially invaded the lawildcat compound in southern Campbell County. We have 21 trees in our yard and 15 of those are ash trees. Cutting these trees down is going to completely change the whole landscape of our property. Not to mention the rest of the ash trees surrounding our property that belong to Mr. lawildcat's parents; around 100 acres.

It just makes me sick to think about.

The Emerald Ash Borer has officially invaded the lawildcat compound in southern Campbell County. We have 21 trees in our yard and 15 of those are ash trees. Cutting these trees down is going to completely change the whole landscape of our property. Not to mention the rest of the ash trees surrounding our property that belong to Mr. lawildcat's parents; around 100 acres.

It just makes me sick to think about.

I have the same issue in Fort Thomas, I am considering trying to save mine, however its expensive. I was quoted $600 per tree for injections over a 2 year period. 50/50 chance they will live.

Any chance you could see about having someone come in and cut down some for timber and use the money from the timber to try to treat and save a few of the most desirable ones? (I have no idea what the going price is for a decent ash tree harvested for lumber....but it's a thought on something to look into.)

I have the same issue in Fort Thomas, I am considering trying to save mine, however its expensive. I was quoted $600 per tree for injections over a 2 year period. 50/50 chance they will live.

I spoke to DJ Scully at the extension service and he basically said you cannot economically fight this. The injections by commercial application have to be repeated every 2 years to fight the borer.

His response was plant resistant trees now. AJ Jolly cut 30 trees last year and 60 more are marked for this year. You can look over the landscape and see the dead ash in large swaths all around. Very sad.

Hardwoods are currently resistant, but it's doubtful that any of us would outlive the maturation period of these trees :(

If you want to plant you can get some good deals currently at nurseries for end of season planting but it needs to be done soon.

If you want to place blame on how this invasive species got here the current thought is that shipping crates from China came into Detroit infested and US Customs didn't catch it in time. Not Detroit's fault (like they needed one more black eye) but that appears to be the origin.

It's made me sick as well. I have 45 acres in Boone County and you can see them dying more and more each year. I basically just use them for firewood. Hopefully the small trees will grow after the beetle is gone. I assume they move on but not for sure. I also had most of the Elm trees die over the last few years. Years ago the locust trees died off in numbers from something but they have rebounded quickly. Mother Nature will take care of the woods, imo.

We will use them for firewood as well. I guess if I look at the bright side of this, all the trees in our yard will be close to move to our wood pile without too much effort and there is now an endless supply of trees for our outdoor wood stove in the winters.

It's funny to think of this now but during late winter/early spring, we were throwing bird seed out in the yard and there was an unusual amount of woodpeckers coming around to eat. Now we know....

I heard that Ash trees are not considered that great of a wood so the dept. of agriculture is not really concerned with a solution. Not worth the time or effort to resolve the situation.

I'm starting to lose a lot of mine as well.

I heard that Ash trees are not considered that great of a wood so the dept. of agriculture is not really concerned with a solution. Not worth the time or effort to resolve the situation.

I'm starting to lose a lot of mine as well.

Must not be a lot of professional ballplayers in the Department of Agriculture.

Just saw this thread, and sorry to say, there's not much you can do. Ash Trees are meeting the same fate Pine trees at the moment with pine bligh.

Sadly, I think that's what our white pine has succumbed to. The ends of just about all of the needles have turned brown.

Sadly, I think that's what our white pine has succumbed to. The ends of just about all of the needles have turned brown.

If your branches have sapped excessively and have a white powdery substance in the sap then its very possible. There is not much you can do to help the pines.