Emerald Ash Borer

lawildcat

If your branches have sapped excessively and have a white powdery substance in the sap then its very possible. There is not much you can do to help the pines.

I really haven't noticed any of the sap-related symptoms...but, as I said, just about all the needles have gone brown on their outer 1/3 to 1/2. I wonder, can I pull off some needles and take them to my extension agent for it to be identified? Or is it something that needs to be looked at in the whole?

I really haven't noticed any of the sap-related symptoms...but, as I said, just about all the needles have gone brown on their outer 1/3 to 1/2. I wonder, can I pull off some needles and take them to my extension agent for it to be identified? Or is it something that needs to be looked at in the whole?

You can take a branch cutting and have it check. They may want to come out and look at it after that.

Must not be a lot of professional ballplayers in the Department of Agriculture.

I read a story about bat making and maple is becoming a preferred wood now in MLB, however, the maple bats are also being blamed for the high number of bats shearing and flying around the infield.

• 3 years later...

I took down one that was a threat to hit my garage. The rest are just falling randomly. Been dragging them to the fire pit and plan to cut a few more up for fire wood when it cools down. At least I won't have to let them season before I burn.

In the end, we had 23 trees cut down from our yard with the final ones coming down earlier this week. This morning, our stump guy was there ready to grind them all down. Damn you emerald ash borer!!!! :cry:

Your before and after picks have a wow factor to them.

I just cut one down in my backyard a couple of weekends ago. The ash tree is unfortunately going to go the way of the American Chestnut...which was wiped out by the North American chestnut blight in the first half of the 20th century. Prior to that, folks used to say that if you ever wanted to survive in the woods in the eastern US, you knew you could always make it because all you needed to do was pick up chestnuts and eat them. Chestnut tree numbers in North America are estimated to have been somewhere between 3 and 4 BILLION...with the higher end of that range generally being the accepted number. Now days the US Forest Service can generally tell you how many chestnut trees each state has, with numbers less than 100 most states. Absolutely crazy to think about.

Fortunately scientists have been able to take seeds from the handfuls of surviving American chestnuts, which genetically managed to have been blight resistant for whatever reason, and they've hybridized those trees with other species of chestnut trees in order to come up with something as genetically close as possible to the original American chestnut, while still displaying the blight resistance of the other species. The American Chestnut Foundation is hoping to have their finalized chestnut seeds ready to start reintroducing chestnut trees into North American forests by 2020.

Some "faster" growing deciduous shade trees that might be of interest to you:

Freeman/Autumn Blaze Maple

Tulip Tree/Tulip Poplar (Also the Kentucky State Tree)

Sycamore

Hybrid Poplar

Japanese/Green Vase Zelkova

I have an Autumn Blaze Maple that I planted ten years ago. Great tree providing some good shade now. Beautiful in the fall, too.