Toppin and Grant Named AP Player and Coach of the Year

Getslow

I will always consider this a lost season and will probably dwell the rest of my sporting life on what-might-have-been for this team.

Still, it's very cool to see the University of Dayton's Obi Toppin named national Player of the Year and Anthony Grant get Coach of the Year.

It was still a magical season. Incredible run in Maui before hitting the Kansas buzzsaw. Still almost had them. I'll remember the two St. Louis games for a long time. Same for the late-season annihilation of Rhode Island that I fretted about for three days beforehand. I'd have loved to see what they could do in the tournament.

They'll never be this good again in my lifetime.

Congrats to Toppin and Grant.

*sigh*

As a Dayton Getslows fan, that has to be equal parts thrilling and frustrating.

They were talking on KSR the other day about what if all this had happened in 2015 during UK's undefeated season. I have to think the frustration would be the same.

Yeah.

The only difference to me is that there is a non-zero chance UK is loaded two years from now and runs one of those off again. Dayton in the AP top five? It hadn't happened since the days of getting dominated by Lew Alcindor in the Final Four and I don't expect to see its like again.

Yeah.

The only difference to me is that there is a non-zero chance UK is loaded two years from now and runs one of those off again. Dayton in the AP top five? It hadn't happened since the days of getting dominated by Lew Alcindor in the Final Four and I don't expect to see its like again.

You're exactly right, and that's a big difference.