Western Kentucky Power Rankings - October 14, 2018

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2018 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 9 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week, I think Football weather is FINALLY Here! But we went from summer to winter in about 2 days with 40 degrees and a cold rain in Indy, rough acclimation period!!! What happened to my all-time favorite sweatshirt and shorts weather? Come on man… Let’s move on!

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 9:

1. South Warren 5A (8-0): BYE

2. Bowling Green 5A (7-1): Loss 62-14 at Warren Central (Indianapolis) IN

3. Mayfield 2A (8-0): Win 50-2 at 2A Ballard Memorial

4. Franklin Simpson 4A (7-1): Win 62-20 at 4A Warren Central

5. Owensboro Catholic 2A (6-2): Win 50-7 vs 2A Todd County Central

6. Caldwell County 3A (7-2): Win 48-15 at 3A Fort Campbell

7. Owensboro 5A (6-2): Win 40-0 vs 5A Apollo

8. Madisonville – North Hopkins 4A (6-2): Win 21-17 vs 4A Logan County

9. Glasgow 2A (7-1): Win 42-21 at 2A Monroe County

10. Paducah Tilghman 3A (6-2): Win 43-10 at 3A Union County

Week 9 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins (6-2) 21 at 4A Logan County (7-1) 17. Thanks to our good friend @FSfan who has been solid covering 4A District 1 the past couple weeks! Always admire fans that look downfield for their team and who they likely will meet in the playoffs! As was reported, Logan County controlled this game for the most part except for the 4th quarter where penalties and some mishandling of a wet football basically cost the Cougars the game and the District Championship! Hate to put it that bluntly, but that’s the truth! Congratulations to the Madisonville Maroons on their hard fought District Championship! Those babies don’t grow on trees so enjoy it! Also enjoy not seeing Franklin Simpson till round 3 of the playoffs!!!

Week 10 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: No doubt this week Sports Fans! 5A Bowling Green (7-1) at 5A South Warren (8-0). BIG Game Sports Fans!!! I think Week 10 will likely just be a standing Game of the Week for these 2! Their first meeting last year didn’t turn out to be a tight game, but the one in the playoffs sure was with the Spartans earning a hard fought 28-21 win at Bowling Green. Well that sure gave the Purples a sour pill to swallow for the off-season, so they should have no reason not to be ready to go for this one! For the Spartans, they have had to have circled this game on their schedule way back at the beginning of the season! This will be the first game where Spartan Nation will host this game! And if our good friend @jcarter is correct (And I’m sure he is) you better get there early or you will be standing 5 deep around the field!!! It’s going to be a GREAT environment!

Honorable Mention: - Crittenden County at Russellville; Christian County at Madisonville North Hopkins; Graves County at Owensboro; and Franklin Simpson at Warren East - Try to make it out to one of these great games!

Week 9 Top 10:

10) Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Preseason Rank (PR): 18; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2018 Record 6-2 [District Record 2-1]: Week 9 Results: Win 43-10 vs 3A District Foe Union County (5-3). The Blue Tornado’s came out like a House on Fire Friday night and rolled to a running clock by halftime! Tilghman was led by JR RB/DB Jayden Freeman who was outstanding! You will see his stats later! It was pretty much mop up time after the half! With the win, Tilghman wraps up a home playoff game! Congratulations!!! I think that’s a big deal and a tier to achieve in any high school football teams year! Week 10: vs District Foe 3A Poor Ole Fort Campbell (1-7). Not much to see here! If I were Tilghman, I would rest as many players as I could knowing MUCH tougher games are coming! Good luck Blue Tornados!

9) Glasgow (2A) – PR: 12; LW: 9 - 2018 Record (7-1) [District Record 2-0]: Week 9 Results: Win 42-21 at 2A Scrappy District Foe Monroe County (2-6). Thanks to our good friend @winterweather who reported on this one! This game was the tale of 2 halves! The Falcons led at halftime 14 to Zip thanks to 5 big fat turnovers by the Scotties! I’m sure Coach Garmon had some choice words for the players at halftime and by the end of the 3rd quarter the score was tied at 21! And it was all Scotties from there with their final 3 TDs scored in the 4th Quarter! Can’t play like that in the playoffs and expect to be able to come back against better teams! Week 10: at 2A District Foe Metcalfe (2-6). I’m predicting a District Beat Down here I’m afraid! Glasgow just in another league than the Hornets! Scotties Roll!

8) Madisonville – North Hopkins (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 12 - 2018 Record 6-2; [District Record 4-0] WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 9 Results: BIG WIN 21-17 at 4A District Rival Logan County (7-1). What a game Maroons Fans!!! It is a testament to hang in there and keep playin because all reports are that Logan County was controlling this game until late! That’s when your D stuffed an early 4th Quarter 4th down run in Logan territory to create a short field for your offense and Juriah Hightower took over with a terrific 29 yard TD run! On the ensuing kickoff, SR LB Micah Center forced a fumble and JR Lineman Blake Moody fell on the ball! The Maroons SR QB JD Gilbert plunged into the end zone for the winning score! Congratulations Maroon Nation! Week 10: vs 5A Christian County (5-3). With the Maroons HUGE win and District Championship, they are assured to stay away from Franklin Simpson until Week 3 if they continue to win in the playoffs! Great Job Maroons! Of course you would likely have to beat a decent Warren East or scrappy Hopkinsville to get there! But you should be able to get that Maroon Fans!!!

7) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 4; LW: 8 - 2018 Record 6-2; [District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win 40-0 vs 5A Apollo (4-4). Wow! While I expected Owensboro to win, I did not expect this margin of victory! But it does highlight the fact that “IF” Owensboro could go back and “REDO” the second half of the OCATH game and get that win – regardless of the score – how would the state look on Owensboro at that point? To me, they are clearly the #4 team in 5A! Why? They have better skill guys and they have a better defense than any of those teams IMO! And could Owensboro beat the top 3 teams in 5A? On the right night, absolutely yes! Would they be favored – NO, but they should not worry about that! Thanks to our good friend @rosco who reported stats for this one! You will see talented JR WR Tyren Hayden’s stats later! QB Will Warren was 18 for 31 for 385 yards and 5TDs vs 2 INTs! Talented JR WR Imonte Owsley had 8 catches for 159 yards and 1 TD! But an even more impressive stat was the Red Devil D notched 8 sacks on the night! Wow! That’s living in the backfield! I still think Apollo is a pretty good team, but just a bad matchup IMO! Week 10: Last District Game vs 5A Scrappy Graves County (4-4). No the Eagles record will not make you as scared as chaperoning a JR High Halloween Party, but they are very dangerous! The Eagles are coming off of a statement win at Christian County! And they now travel to RASH for a Winner Take All game for the District Championship this coming Friday night! Lot on the line! While I like Owensboro in the game, I’ve been wrong on Graves County before, but am I this time? You tell me…

6) Caldwell County (3A) – PR: 10; LW: 7 - 2018 Record (7-2) [District Record 4-0]: Week 9 Results: Win 48-15 at Poor Ole 3A District Foe Ft Campbell (1-7). Not much to see here! The teams went back and forth very early with Fort Campbell holding a 7 to 6 lead early in the first quarter, but it was really all Tigers from there! QB Joby Jaggers was outstanding going 16 for 24 for 389 yards and 4 TDs! Great Job! WR Nathan Lake had a very good game for Fort Campbell with 4 catches for 120 yards and a TD! But too much Tigers as they pulled away with 28 unanswered 2nd Quarter points! Week 10: BYE Week. Good time for a BYE Tigers! Heal up and recharge for your annual bash with Mayfield in 2 weeks! Even though you haven’t been terrific in that game recently, I like the Tigers to stay in the game a little longer this year. But hey, it’s still Mayfield at War Memorial Stadium so – Whoa Nellie! I just don’t see them winning that one! Prove me wrong Tigers!!!

5) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: 13; LW: 6; 2018 Record 7-2 [District Record 4-0]: Week 9 Results: Win 50-7 vs 2A District Mate Todd County Central (4-4). Not a lot to see here! QB Drew Hartz and WR Nick Mills have great stats you will see later! Aces roll up over 460 yards of offense on the night! But do the Aces have a legit shot at giving Mayfield a game in November! I don’t know, but I do know they would be the underdog in that game even in Owensboro! But that’s what the Aces have been working up to! They have played good out of district competition, beaten an upper classification city rival and haven’t taken significant injuries that I’m aware of and polished off another unbeaten district slate in fine fashion! I’d say that’s good enough for now; it’s time for a break! Week 10 BYE Week. Great time for a BYE! Plus I’d say you get your next opponent at the perfect time too! The Aces host rock solid 5A Contender South Warren (8-0)! South will be coming off what I’m anticipating is a very touch physical game vs rival Bowling Green! So, there is NO WAY South will be pumped up for this game! If I recall correctly, it took South quite a while to wake up last year in this game before prevailing in a hard fought contest 21-16! Let’s see how the injury outlook is for South before I make a prediction on that one, but I can’t see me picking OCATH in that one regardless. Sorry Aces!!!

4) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 5; LW: 4 - 2018 Record 7-1; [District Record 2-0] Week 9 Results: Win 62-20 vs 4A Poor Ole’ Warren Central (0-8). I don’t have Franklin’s stats for this game, but according to the Warren Central stats, Franklin Simpson outgained Central roughly 400 yards to 150 yards on the night! Our good friend @FSfan reported it was a good night to get in some passing practice and I totally agree! Additionally reported that key DLineman Traevon Goodnight returned for the Wildcats to bolster a DLine that gave up a reported 5 yards on the night! On to likely your toughest district opponent! Week 10: at 4A Scrappy District Foe Warren East (5-3). I think this game could be pretty interesting for the first half! East has some fine players, but not an overabundance of them. RB Thomas Maxey will be worth the price of admission Wildcat Fans! With all that said, I look for Franklin to turn the tide no later than the 3rd quarter and just be too much for a solid opponent! But this is for the District Championship, so you better be prepared Wildcats! Steady on!!!

3) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 3; LW: 3 - 2018 Record 8-0; [District Record 2-0] Week 9 Results: Win 50-2 at 2A District Mate Ballard Memorial (2-6). Can you imagine being in Mayfield’s district? A pretty unfortunate position to be in. You are talking about one of the top programs in the country when you talk about what ultimately counts and that’s wins! So the team you have to face every year is one that has more wins that just about every team in the country! Wow that’s tough for a small Western Kentucky school to overcome! I have to admit, I’m curious as how the Bombers D got the safety! Other than that, it’s what I expected! Thanks to our good friend @Mayfieldsportsfan who reported the Cardinals averaged 22 yards a play in the first half! And QB Stinson was really good on the night as were all the Cardinals as they had a 50-0 scoreboard at the 2 minute mark of the 2nd Quarter! Wow! Week 10: vs Poor Ole 2A District Mate Webster County (1-7). The Trojans need a miracle sports fans to keep this one close. I know I’ve asked Cardinal Nation in the past if the Trojans have ever beaten Mayfield. I think I was told no, but it was close 1 or 2 times! Wow and that is in every game they have ever played! Cardinals Roll!

2) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2018 Record 7-1; [District Record 2-0] Week 9 Results: Loss 62-14 at National Power Warren Central (Indianapolis) Indiana (9-0). Wow! What a difficult trip for the Purples 4 hours from home! They lose to the best High School Football team I’ve ever seen. It’s that simple. I’ve been going to high school football games for at least 40 years and I’ve never seen a team like that! The Central offensive linemen looked like mobile refrigerators and they tied the BG front 7 up and the Central RB Romier Elliot was as good a High School RB as I’ve seen (short, stocky, strong, great balance, shifty at the point of attack, can’t tackle him with arm tackles, excellent stiff arm, then with a good burst of speed – all I can say is WOW!)! As others have said, I tip my cap out of respect and move on! We will find out what type motivator Coach Spader will be as a Head Coach this week, as no matter if you go into a game expecting to lose, when you lose 62-14, it messes with you! But, you don’t need me to pump you up for this one Purples Fans!!! T- Minus 1 week and counting Purples Fans!!! Week 10: at 5A Rival South Warren (8-0). I expect a game like last year’s playoff meeting with the Spartans and not one like in the Regular Season last year! Keys for the Purples: 1) Expect and plan for the Spartan Pass Rush – Play calling will be critical here! 2) Quick passes are the same as a run to me! I mean South’s D is predicated on stopping the run, which they do as well as anyone. But I think they are susceptible to good short passing scheme! Purples must be crisp here! 3) Purples D need to focus on RB Harrison and not let him kill them like Christian Winn did last game! This game will be full of emotion! That will lead to emotional penalties that are not typical for either team! Which team is able to control their emotions most on the field will benefit from it! No question about it and turnovers are always huge in a game like this!

Why did you drop BG Purple88? Good question: I expected BG to lose this game. But I didn’t expect them to lose by 48. They were a 4 TD underdog and 28 to 35 points is what I expected. Was I drinking the Purple Kool-Aid? Probably! While I do not think South Warren could beat Warren Central under any scenario and that they would also get running clocked, do I think they lose by 48? I just don’t know; maybe. But the fact remains, if BG wins this Friday night it will answer itself for us all! Good Luck Purples!

1) South Warren (5A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2018 Record 8-0; [District Record 2-0] Week 9: BYE Week. Put another log on the fire Spartan Fans! I’m sure you had a good cookout/film watching session last Friday night to watch BG get smoked at Warren Central (Indy) in the cold rain. But I’m also sure you were able to heal some nagging injuries and just recharge! Exactly what the Bye is for!!! It’s FINALLY here! T – Minus 1 week and counting Spartan Fans!!! WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 10: vs 5A Rival Bowling Green (7-1). Well Spartan Nation I’m sure you knew this game would be BIG and it is, with all the implications on the line including winning the District and carrying the #1 District Seed into the playoffs! Because would you rather play Apollo and Graves County or would you rather play Christian County and at Rash Stadium vs Owensboro? That’s pretty simple from where I’m standing!!! The winner of this game is also gaining the lead in the head to head battle with BG, which now sits tied at 1. You don’t need me to pump you up for this one Spartans! But I think I need you if I’m to find a seat on Friday night! Still not sure if I can make if down due to Family Commitments. In my opinion, the key to the game for the Spartans is for the Spartan DLine to be the most disruptive on the field, as they have been in all the games to this point! If they are and harass BG QB Beau Buchanan then that will make it hard on BG to run their offense! Other than that; I’m sure both of these teams have been holding a few plays back just for this game! Which ones are the most timely and ultimately work? Good Luck Spartans!

Next 10 – 11 to 20:

11) McCracken County (6A) – PR: 14; LW: 11 - (2018 Record 6-3) Week 9 Results – Win 41-27 at Dyer County (Newbern) TN (3-5). While I don’t have any stats for this one, the Mustangs appear to have completely turned their season around! Good for them and that takes a lot of team continuity to get that done! McCracken has played the Choctaws 4 times since 2013; all Mustang wins where they have scored in the 40s while Dyer has scored in the 20s! Great fun for the Mustangs! Week 10: vs 6A District Foe Muhlenberg County (3-5). The All Mustang Bowl will be the final game in the 2018 regular season for McCracken County. The way McCracken has come on late in the season makes me think they will be WAY too much for Muhlenberg in this game, especially in Paducah! Lookin good for McCracken already having won the District with a lesser Louisville School (likely Jeffersontown) having to make the 4 hour bus ride in a couple weeks! All as planned for the Mustangs!!!

12) Logan County (4A) – PR: 8; LW: 5 - 2018 Record 7-1; [District Record 2-1] WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 9 Results: Loss 21-17 vs 4A Madisonville (6-2). Tough Loss Cougars! No doubt about it! After your QB Ezell toughed it out likely not being 100% and after controlling the game through 3 quarters! But football can be a game of Breaks and this time you were just on the wrong side of the break! But it is a dictating outcome as you will now likely travel to Franklin Simpson in Week 2 of the Playoffs! Week 10: at 4A District Foe Calloway County (3-5). Gotta keep your focus up Cougars! It would be easy to let up in this game after facing Hopkinsville and now Madisonville in back to back games! But this game counts just like the other District games do!

13) Graves County (5A) – PR: 15; LW: 16 - 2018 Record 4-4: Week 9 Results: Win 44-36 at 5A District Rival Christian County (5-3). These teams don’t particularly like each other and last Friday at the Stadium of Champions both teams were landing big shots and they tallied a collective 80 points on the night! The difference in the game was XP efficiency where Graves connected on 4 2-point conversions, while the Colonels missed on 5 XP conversions! QB Ryan Mathis had a Huge game going 12 for 27 for 198 yards and 2 TDs vs 2 INTs; plus Mathis added 3 rushing TDs on the night! Huge game and Huge win! Week 10: at 5A District Rival Owensboro (6-2). Out of the frying pan and into the fire Eagles Fans! The tough District gauntlet continues in your toughest portion of the season! I bet most fans wrote the Eagles off when they started the year 1 and 4! But here you are Eagles, playing for the District Championship!!! Huge! You are not the favorite, as few are at Rash Stadium, but you are capable of pulling off the upset with turnovers, a commitment to better execution and a more determined defense. But that’s a lot to ask. Show me you can Eagles!!! But with your big win last week, you are very likely to host a home playoff game and that’s a Big Deal!

14) Crittenden County (1A) – PR: 17; LW: 14 (2018 Record 7-1) Week 9 Results: Win: 59-8 vs 1A Cinderella Fulton County (4-4). SR RB Devin Nesbitt rolled over the Pilot defense for 189 yards on the night and 4 TDs to overwhelm Cinderella’s favorite team! With the wet field conditions, the Rockets showed they can run the ball when they need to and next week they may need to!!! Week 10: at 1A District Rival Russellville (4-4). Well Rocket Fans, it all comes down to this! And I think you already knew that! This game gets circled most every year as the likely District Make or Break Game! But I really like your chances this season! While Russellville has some players and are scrappy, I just think this Rocket team is on a bigger mission and will overwhelm the Panthers at Rhea Stadium!!! Good luck Rockets!

15) Henderson County (6A) – PR: 20; LW: 11 - (2018 Record 6-3) [District Record 3-1) Week 9 Results: Win 54-41 vs District Foe 6A Daviess County (4-4). Defense was optional in this game that featured 95 points put on the board! It is a HUGE win for Hendo in my opinion, as you have to strive to get better in the District is Job 1! So way to go Hendo!!! Week 10: BYE Week! Well you know pretty much where you stand now Colonel Fans! You have secured the #2 District seed and will host a Playoff game (likely against Eastern), which I said in the preseason was the definition of a positive season for the Colonels! From there, you would likely have to travel to Shelbyville Road and face the Trinity Shamrocks at Marshall Stadium. Very difficult task! But the Colonels are definitely improving in my book! Way to go!!!

16) Christian County (5A) – PR: 11; LW: 13 - 2018 Record 4-4; [District Record 2-2] Week 9 Results: Loss 44-36 vs 5A District Rival Graves County (4-4). This was a back and forth game! And it’s tough to lose based upon not being able to execute XPs but that’s part of the game! Sorry I don’t have stats for Christian County in this one, but I do know they out gained the Eagles roughly 370 yards to 330 yards on the night! Week 10: at 4A Madisonville North Hopkins (6-2). Christian County won a pretty easy home game last season 49-12 vs Madisonville. But that Christian County team was on its way to its first ever undefeated regular season. This year’s team is on its way to a first round road matchup with the loser of BG vs South Warren! VERY difficult assignment!!!

17) Daviess County (6A) – PR: 7; LW: 17 - 2018 Record 4-4; [District Record 1-2] Week 9 Results: Loss 54-41 at 6A District Rival Henderson County (6-3). I’m going to call this another missed opportunity! I felt in the Pre-season after seeing Daviess County play 7v7 that they were destined to rise up and win 6A District 1! Just another example of while 7v7 is a great tool for QB/WR and DB/LB chemistry, it is not a good indicator of what Friday Night Lights will produce! 41 points should be enough points, but not when you are surrendering 54! Easy to say; harder to stop! Week 10: vs Poor Ole’ Ohio County (0-8). Not much to see here! As Poor Ole’ Ohio County has fallen on some hard times for sure. And even on Daviess County’s worst day, they can still beat the Eagles by a long shot! Panthers Roll!

18) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 6; LW: 20 - 2018 Record 2-6; [District Record 1-2] Week 9 Result: Win 23-12 at 4A District Foe Calloway County (3-5). I don’t have any stats here, but pretty certain the Tiger are enjoying playing a lower tier team for a change! That continues next week too! Week 10: vs 4A District Foe Hopkins County Central (3-5). The beleaguered Tigers are finally getting to the part of their schedule that should come pretty easy for them! The Storm won’t scare many teams and certainly not one as battle tested as Hopkinsville! Tigers Roll!

19) Warren East (4A) – PR: 23; LW: Not Ranked (NR) - (2018 Record 5-3) Week 9 Results: Win 23-20 at 4A District Foe Allen County Scottsville (4-4). Good to get some new blood in the Rankings! Well-played game here with East out gaining the Patriots roughly 400 yards to 275! RB Thomas Maxey was outstanding again rushing 32 times for 170 yards and 2 TDs. QB Nolan Ford was also very good going 11 for 27 for 220 yards and 1 TD vs 2 INTs! But his biggest contribution was a late Field Goal to win it for the Raiders!!! Week 10: vs 4A District Foe Franklin Simpson (7-1). This game is for the District Championship! And while I fully expect Franklin to win, I fully expect the Raiders to compete with everything they have and keep it competitive till halftime. From there, I think they wear the Raiders down and it isn’t close at the end! Prove me wrong Raider Power!!!

20) Murray (2A) – PR: NR; LW: NR - (2018 Record 5-3) [District Record 1-1]: Week 9 Results: Win 57-7 at 2A District Mate Webster County (1-7). When Murray played Mayfield close for a while early this year, it caught my attention! And when others ahead of them fell, it presented an opportunity to spotlight Coach Keith Hodge’s team! Also, when I spoke to a Mayfield fan at the CAL v Desales game and we spoke about OCATH and the likelihood of them playing Mayfield he said “yes, if they can beat Murray”! Not sure if that was an “I hope Murray wins so I don’t have to drive to Owensboro” or an “I think Murray is a pretty good team”. But at this spot in the rankings, I think we give them the benefit of the doubt! They outgain Poor Ole’ Webster County 300 yards to about 100 on the night! Week 10 vs 2A District Foe Ballard Memorial (2-6). This game should wrap up the #2 District spot for the Tigers! And they should host a first round game! Good for you Tigers!

Others Receiving Votes: Apollo, Union County, McLean County, Allen County Scottsville, Russellville, Grayson County, Hancock County, and Fulton County!!!

WEEK 9 PLAYER OF THE WEEK*:

Alton Pendergrass – RB – Fort Knox – 20 rushes for 227 yards and 6 TDs; plus 1 sack and 4 tackles round out a great night vs Caverna! WOW!!! Congratulations Alton!

Other outstanding performances in the West:

1) Drew Rhodes – QB – Caverna – 12 for 26 for 234 yards and 4 TDs vs 0 INTs; plus 30 yards rushing and 1 TD vs Fort Knox!

2) Tyren Hayden – WR – Owensboro – 5 catches for 117 yards and 3 TDs vs Apollo!

3) Jayden Freeman – RB/DB – Paducah Tilghman – 1 rushing TD, 1 pass reception for a TD and 1 pick 6 vs Union County!

4) Drew Hartz – QB – Owensboro Catholic – 13 for 16 passing for 232 yards and 5 TDs vs Todd County Central!

Nick Mills – WR – Owensboro Catholic – 5 catches for 119 yards and 3 TDs vs Todd County Central!

5) Jadavian McNeal – RB – Christian County – 247 yards rushing and 5 TDs vs Graves County!

* If there are stats I don’t know about, please add them below!

Week 9 “Teams Trending Down”

Apollo (5A) – Down – The Eagles started the season strongly with 4 wins, but have played excellent teams while falling for 4 straight! Keep Fighting Eagles!

Union County (3A) – Down – I just think the Braves are the 3rd best team in the District period. They can’t be predicted ahead of Caldwell County or Paducah Tilghman until thy defeat one of those 2! Just a fact.

Week 9 Teams “Trending Up”

Madisonville – North Hopkins (4A) – Up – Congratulations to the Maroons again on their District clinching victory! Not many picked Madisonville to win the district out of the gate this year, so enjoy it Madisonville Fans!!!

Graves County (6A) – Up – These guys are like Nitro Glycerin! They just catch fire from little to nothing! I mean they start the year 1 and 4 and now reel off 3 straight! And are staring at a District Championship game next week! You can‘t ask for more than that Eagles Fans! Good Luck!

WESTERN KENTUCKY – GAME SPOTLIGHT -

1A Fort Knox 71 at 1A Caverna 48 – These are 2 squads you never hear about and when you do it’s usually negative. I wanted to give a shout out to them for playing what appears from afar as a great fun game. Caverna has only scored 32 points in their previous 7 games combined, so they put some rocket fuel on the offense last Friday scoring 48 points! The Eagles may be putting it together a bit after beating Webster County in double OT 2 games ago! Fort Know RB Alton Pendergrass had a great game as you saw above, as did Caverna QB Drew Rhodes! Best of luck to both teams the rest of the way!

Excellent job as always. One thing though, the x factor for Owensboro--TreVon Green. Scored multiple times last Friday receiving and rushing. He is quietly becoming a force. Right now, he's the guy you have to plan for. Sounds like Graves goes as their QB goes; if this is the case, Devils D has their challenge. Owensboro may need to find its' "forgotten" running game to pull this one out. They do have enough talent to pull it off. I don't know but this might be more speed than Graves has seen this year. Fast and quick on both sides of the ball. I hope your words of the Devils' ability come to fruition. I am sure that you'd like it to be the purples but hey, you said it.:up: