Indianapolis Colts' Offseason Moves Thus Far -- Good or Bad?

Zlatan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of Caldwell was a good move, and bringing in a new guy from the outside means a new coaching staff, so I have no problem with that.

What else have they done to this point?

Personally, I like the idea of drafting Luck and keeping Manning, but I understand if they want to move on with their new QB as well. The situation is pretty good to make that move right now, but it could be tougher if they keep Manning and he returns and plays well.

Getting rid of Caldwell was a good move, and bringing in a new guy from the outside means a new coaching staff, so I have no problem with that.

What else have they done to this point?

Personally, I like the idea of drafting Luck and keeping Manning, but I understand if they want to move on with their new QB as well. The situation is pretty good to make that move right now, but it could be tougher if they keep Manning and he returns and plays well.

You think they should spend $28M and keep Manning, then draft Luck, pay him a big contract, and then sit one of them? Why do you feel that way?

I don't see them keeping Peyton. Healthy or not, spending 28 million on him and drafting a franchise QB isn't good management. They have to start over and will need the 28 million to start signing players to come in to help. I still think they needed to make a run at Cowher or Gruden for head coach or at least someone offensive to help bring in Luck but we'll see if Pagano pans out.

Chuck Pagano, DC of the Baltimore Ravens, has been hired as the Colts new Head Coach.

See I was right in saying there was a 1% chance that they would hire Tressel haha. :D

In all honesty though they did consider him more than I thought they would. So good call on that one!:thumb:

I think there can be some real benefit to young QB's sitting behind an elite player and learning versus being thrown to the wolves.

Prior to this year, with a healthy Manning, the Colts were still contending. I see no reason to believe they can't pick that back up if he returns healthy. I think you could justify keeping him because there's reason to believe they can still compete at a high level with a healthy Manning pulling the trigger.

I can see either decision and I think both make sense and can be justified. The 28 million dollars is huge, and may be the deciding factor. If they decide to move on and cut Peyton, I think that will be the biggest reason.

I think the signs point toward Manning being somewhere else next season. The money he is due, the uncertainty about his health, his age, the decision to hire a new coach, etc. A new coach means a new system and offense, so Manning is going to have to adjust and learn a new offense whether he remains in Indy or not.

I forgot about the decision to get a new GM as well. I thought that was a good move as well. I'm not convinced the Polians really did that great. The decision to draft Manning was a no-brainer, but the defense was a significant weakness for his entire run with the team. The roster flaws were seriously exposed with the injury this season. The defense had that one great run where they played over their heads in the playoffs that allowed them to get that elusive Super Bowl, but it was never adequately addressed.

I agree. Irsay's words will have no affect. If Manning retires, it will be because of the neck, IMO.

Assuming he gets healthy and cleared to play, and that he won't be a Colt, I think where he ends up is fascinating.

I wonder where he'll end up next season. Which teams will be contending for his services?

There are a lot of teams that could potentially be elevated to contender (on paper) with Manning, but many of them have young QB's that are supposed to be their QB's of the future.

Miami

NY Jets - Sanchez?

Tennessee - Locker? Hasselbeck?

Jacksonville - Gabbert?

Kansas City - Cassel?

Oakland - Palmer?

Denver - Tebow?

Washington

Minnesota - Ponder?

Tampa Bay - Freeman?

Arizona - Kolb?

Seattle - Jackson?

San Francisco - Smith?

St. Louis - Bradford?

If I had to rank them, I'd say...

1.) Washington

2.) Miami

3.) NY Jets

All of which would present some interesting scenarios. Washington would mean he's in the same division as his brother, so two meetings each year. Miami would put him in the same division as Brady, so again, two meetings a year. And the Jets would put him in the same city/stadium as his brother. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The mere fact that the Colts didn't jettison their OC makes me feel there's still a very, very small chance that he could return to the Colts next season. However, once that changes...he's gone.