Elder 67 CovCath 51

Couple of thoughts on the game last night:

1. I have a hunch that those that under-estimated the Pit and its "influence" feel differently ;):D . Officiating was predictably awful. That being said, it didn't effect the outcome one iota.

2. Some of CovCath's players made so many mental mistakes that one is left questioning if they were mentally ready to play.

3. Other players were so visibly frustrated and "out of their game" that they were rendered useless out there. They have to come into this game knowing what to expect and can't get so frustrated and so ratttled. One example, one of CovCath's better players stays on the offensive end to protest a call while Elder has numbers the other direction. Can't have that.

4. Those rebound numbers sound about right based on what I watched. Elder big men (and I am speaking of brawn and not height) were playing volleyball over the Colonel post players.

5. Elder Bovard 1, CCH Bovard 0

6. As cshs accurately stated it earlier, this was a game where Timmy T.'s absence was glaring.

7. CovCath had many wide open looks, not to dis-credit Elder's D because it was physical and solid, but there were many open looks to be had. They just didn't go in.

8. Elder's field goal percentage is meaningless because they had about 19 million offensive rebounds.

On a positive note, it was nice to see cshs81, NineOh, NkyBoy1487, Hat Trick, et al in the stands. That combined with Volp, Doho, and Brennan Votel made for a star-studded visitors' fan section.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Elder team (ranked 6th in Cincy) was well coached. They are a young team. Elder plays good defense and plus getting outrebounded by 53- 22 is embarassing, by a team that was probably smaller than Cov. Cath. I was shocked at the effort. They all need a major kick in the butt to get pointed in the right direction. Cov Cath is better than that. I hope!! :confused:

Wonderful game.

Are you kidding? This was one of the worst high shcool games I've seen this season and maybe in awhile. So UGLY. Only thing pretty was Jacobs 3/4 court one hand heave that went straight in the basket. That gave CCH the lead. I went and got a hot dog and a drink and came back with CCH down by 6 and never gettting close to that again. I have no idea what happened.

Timmy was missed very much so in this game. The pressure that Elder puts on the guards in like nothing CCH is going to see probably the rest of the season. You guys think DEFENSE might be preached a little bit at Elder.

The worst thing TJ could have done was go out and score 37 last week and let Elder see who the offense really runs through. He just could never get into the groove.

Until Tim gets back CCH needs to find a pg who isn't going to turn the ballover, but again alot of those turnovers could have just been caused by Elder's great defensive effort.

Has anyone seen refs like that before? I've seen missed calls and bad calls, but it was like they didn't even know the rule book. This crew made 9th region official look like all stars.

I like the rougher style of play in the GCL. I think 9th Region refs call games tightly and it ends up hurting our teams when they go downstate to play.

That Elder team (ranked 6th in Cincy) was well coached. They are a young team. Elder plays good defense and plus getting outrebounded by 53- 22 is embarassing, by a team that was probably smaller than Cov. Cath.

While the rebounding mismatch was embarassing, height (in this case) shouldn't really be looked at as a factor. CCH was a taller team but the height advantage wasn't that drastic. Young is probably 6''3, Schult probably about the same (which I would think is about average height for two high school big men these days). However it was Elder's physicality that owned the boards.

Enquirer photo link:

Photos: CovCath-Elder

Photo #2 may upset the Appalachian posters on the board. :lol:

First, I'm sure the Elder fans like in photo #2, just don't realize that the only difference between them and us is the river that divides us! Ha! Appalachian posters aren't offended, because no one in the Appalachian area dresses like this so why be offended?

Second, CovCath should have been able to win this game. It could have just been one of those nights, lack of preparedness, intimidation, or any of a dozen other reasons. But Elder is not really any better than CovCath in my opinion.

Third, as to the refs, each area has its own style, geez, even each officiating crew within the same region sometimes has their own style. You have to scout your opponent and know the style that the refs allow and be PREPARED for it before the game.

Fourth, CovCath needs to forget and move on to the next game!

I like the rougher style of play in the GCL. I think 9th Region refs call games tightly and it ends up hurting our teams when they go downstate to play.

I was fine with the rough style of play. Thats fine with me. Its the phantom calls and "no idea what to do hudles" that made me think are these guys for real.

I was fine with the rough style of play. Thats fine with me. Its the phantom calls and "no idea what to do hudles" that made me think are these guys for real.

I think we can all agree that the calls a)were bad on both sides and b)had zero to do with the outcome.

They just didn't acquit themselves or their profession very well.

Do you honestly think that he will man handle them when they have already played 3 or 4 centers bigger and better than him and also Highlands has played maybe 1 or 2 games against teams that could keep up with CovCath?

First off he is not a center and you haven't played anybody as strong as him.....He out hustles and out muscles people to the ball....I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. :thumb: :thumb:

While the rebounding mismatch was embarassing, height (in this case) shouldn't really be looked at as a factor. CCH was a taller team but the height advantage wasn't that drastic. Young is probably 6''3, Schult probably about the same (which I would think is about average height for two high school big men these days). However it was Elder's physicality that owned the boards.

Schult, Young, and Noll are all 6"5 give or take a half inch, but Elder was just as tall and/or taller. But of course their physical play decided that anyways.