If LSU Loses To 'Bama?

doubledeuce

If I am LSU I did not want to play Bama, in the first place. I mean they beat them once at their place.

Now, if LSU loses to Bama on a nuetral field why would someone vote Bama ahead of LSU?

Now, I do think they are the best two teams but I am starting to think that I would have liked to see a match-up with OSU.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's the post-season. No matter how you got to where you are, it's what you do from this point forward that counts.

Why? I understand that in the NCAA tourney where teams can meet again, but this is Collegiate Football. It's never, ever happened this way before. It's almost like Alabama gets to play with "house money" while LSU has to put up everything they've earned from day one.

I think it's the great question of this year's national title game.

Why? I understand that in the NCAA tourney where teams can meet again, but this is Collegiate Football. It's never, ever happened this way before. It's almost like Alabama gets to play with "house money" while LSU has to put up everything they've earned from day one.

I can see how you view it that way, but much dumber things have happened...like the year Auburn went undefeated & got shut out of the title game.

It's college football. Since when has it ever made sense?

A playoff system would likely require teams to play more than once. Every other sport you sometimes have to...including the professional version of football. Didn't this happen once before with Florida & FSU?

Florida State begs to differ.

I can see how you view it that way, but much dumber things have happened...like the year Auburn went undefeated & got shut out of the title game.

It's college football. Since when has it ever made sense?

A playoff system would likely require teams to play more than once. Every other sport you sometimes have to...including the professional version of football. Didn't this happen once before with Florida & FSU?

Very good point.

Also I think Arizona State was the unbeaten that was snubbed that year. Florida with the one loss got in ahead of the Sun Devils with no losses.

If LSU were to lose by a slim margin you could still argue they should be #1 based upon the entire body of work.

In looking at what LSU has done this season, it is one of the more impressive runs in college football history.

If that happened I think the AP should vote them the title to split it.

Very good point.

Also I think Arizona State was the unbeaten that was snubbed that year. Florida with the one loss got in ahead of the Sun Devils with no losses.

Actually, that's not how it went. Arizona State was in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State. ASU was #2, OSU was #4. Florida State and Florida were #1 and #3 respectively. This was before the Rose Bowl was flexible to allow the Big Ten or Pac-10 champions into other bowls. As it happened though, Arizona State lost in the Rose Bowl, and FSU/Florida became the de facto championship game. Florida blew open a 24-20 lead into a 52-20 victory. The X factor there is if it had been close, what would the votes have been?

Actually, that's not how it went. Arizona State was in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State. ASU was #2, OSU was #4. Florida State and Florida were #1 and #3 respectively. This was before the Rose Bowl was flexible to allow the Big Ten or Pac-10 champions into other bowls. As it happened though, Arizona State lost in the Rose Bowl, and FSU/Florida became the de facto championship game. Florida blew open a 24-20 lead into a 52-20 victory. The X factor there is if it had been close, what would the votes have been?

Totally forgot that this was pre BCS title game as we know it now.

So I guess my original premise holds up, never happened before under this system.

Because it's the post-season. No matter how you got to where you are, it's what you do from this point forward that counts.

I was under the impression every week was a playoff in college football. If that's the case, why wasn't Alabama eliminated?

I was under the impression every week was a playoff in college football. If that's the case, why wasn't Alabama eliminated?
They were....OSU/Stanford/Oregon/Oklahoma/Arkansas lost too. If anyone of these teams do not lose Bama is in the Sugar Bowl, remember the thread where it was where Bama got lucky with these teams losing.

Using your logic why play on January 9th? Just go ahead and crown LSU, I'll go for that but people need to quit hating on Bama for doing all they could do since November 5th.