How do these 10 Public schools win so often?

All Play No Work

I grew up in a very poor county but was proud of what we had. Instead of listening to all the neighsayers and history we made a commintment to each other that we were going to find a way to get things done! We went our the winningest class in school history. We laid the foundation for one of the top programs in the 90's. There have been a ton of kids to go on and play college football since we left there and there were only a couple before we were there. All of this happened because of one word....

ATTITUDE! Even though we didn't reach the ultimate goal of a state championship the things we learned along the way taught us all about life. We won a District Championship, a Regional Championship and were only 3 points from playing in Louisville. That drive I learned in High School carried over to get getting a full ride on a leadership scholarship in college, it pushed me through college, through losing a baby, through winning a state championship as a coach, through getting my Master's and it still pushes me today. Had I been somewhere that it was easy growing up I'm not sure that I would be where I am now. I guess the way I see it is you can complain about how bad you have it or you can build on what you have. Find your shortcomings, come up with a plan to make them your strengths, work hard and don't lose focus of your goals. Eventually it will all pay off! It may not be a state championship but there have been bad programs that have turned into giants! What Boyle Co has done recently should be the model! Those guys don't complain they just get it done!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, by the same token, you're saying that because private who've become successful did NOT/ WILL NOT accept what the public schools have decided are the private schools' place in society, they (the private school's) are doing some sort of discredit to the public schools. Truth be told, everyone, public and private, have opportunities to become more successful. And, as in the real world of capitalism, there's an inherant need to chase the successful, not penalize the successful for their achievements.

For adults yes. But these are 14, 15, 16, 17 year old kids. THIS IS NOT THE ADULT WORLD. As much as some adults WANT to live through their children or through the children representing their alma mater. This is dealing with kids.

Kids that their direction is determined by decisions they have 0% input in.

If you or I are not successful, we probably are 99% responsible for that. In some of these kids situation that is not true.

As far as your first sentence, that intrigues me. Maybe the idea is NOT a public/private. But you put together a SUPER DIVISION. All those schools that have the advantages that others do not. The tremendous support system, the finances for an artificial turf field, etc, etc. You win that division and you truly have something to be proud of. Presently, you win 4A and that is a great accomplishment. But in reality, you have won a division that MAYBE there are 3-4 teams that truly had a CHANCE to compete against you.

I grew up in a very poor county but was proud of what we had. Instead of listening to all the neighsayers and history we made a commintment to each other that we were going to find a way to get things done! We went our the winningest class in school history. We laid the foundation for one of the top programs in the 90's. There have been a ton of kids to go on and play college football since we left there and there were only a couple before we were there. All of this happened because of one word....

ATTITUDE! Even though we didn't reach the ultimate goal of a state championship the things we learned along the way taught us all about life. We won a District Championship, a Regional Championship and were only 3 points from playing in Louisville. That drive I learned in High School carried over to get getting a full ride on a leadership scholarship in college, it pushed me through college, through losing a baby, through winning a state championship as a coach, through getting my Master's and it still pushes me today. Had I been somewhere that it was easy growing up I'm not sure that I would be where I am now. I guess the way I see it is you can complain about how bad you have it or you can build on what you have. Find your shortcomings, come up with a plan to make them your strengths, work hard and don't lose focus of your goals. Eventually it will all pay off! It may not be a state championship but there have been bad programs that have turned into giants! What Boyle Co has done recently should be the model! Those guys don't complain they just get it done!

Excellent post.....But I thought the Boyle County coach was one of the sponsors of Prop 20 and has spoken out in favor of it?

I believe I have consistently said that this issue is about making sure EVERYONE is playing on the same equal level and let the kids talent and hard work win out. NOT what some parent has done to create an advantage for their kid.

The following is not addressed to just sticky...

As AWNP as done, I will do. Not to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that we should be telling our students that since your parents do not have the financial means to have you play in leagues outside of the school district, or attend camps, or provide above average facilities, you are just going to have to accept not being on an equal basis with those you are competing against. ACCEPT YOUR PLACE IN SOCIETY.

I have a real problem with that.

So lets outlaw ALL participation in summer camps, AAU ball, any type of developmental leagues etc. Make the high school athlete choose to compete either in the elite club type activities or in high school sports. How long do you really think high school sports would survive. Unfortunately I really believe that the only sure fire method to make an equitable situation at every high school is to eliminate high school sports all together (and I am in no way, shape or form in favor of that). Kids who want to be athletes would then choose club type programs (some elite and expensive, some not) to provide their athletic outlet.

LBBC I agree with your sentiments BUT there are always going to be socioeconomic differences in society and high school sports. I don't like it but that is the truth.

For adults yes. But these are 14, 15, 16, 17 year old kids. THIS IS NOT THE ADULT WORLD. As much as some adults WANT to live through their children or through the children representing their alma mater. This is dealing with kids.

Kids that their direction is determined by decisions they have 0% input in.

If you or I are not successful, we probably are 99% responsible for that. In some of these kids situation that is not true.

As far as your first sentence, that intrigues me. Maybe the idea is NOT a public/private. But you put together a SUPER DIVISION. All those schools that have the advantages that others do not. The tremendous support system, the finances for an artificial turf field, etc, etc. You win that division and you truly have something to be proud of. Presently, you win 4A and that is a great accomplishment. But in reality, you have won a division that MAYBE there are 3-4 teams that truly had a CHANCE to compete against you.

Exactly how do children become adults able to face realities? By living in a realistic world, dealing with inequities with grace, learning to find ways to overcome obstacles....no one learns to be an adult with the ability to deal with inequities, by having the way eased for them along the way.

I would not classify Kenton, Boone or Campbell as true Rural counties. They have parts that are rural but overall they are not rural counties.

I don't consider them rural counties either.

My point is that the independant city schools and private schools have facilities that are below the county schools in NKY but somehow offset that and still succeed in athletics.

I understand that rural counties might not have the level of facilities that the NKY counties do, but their facilities aren't any worse than the indep. city and private schools in NKY.

Not true at all. The ADA (Average Daily Attendance) rate is the same for all public schools. Therefore, the roughly $4200 that each school receives for a child is either picked up by the student (tuition) or passed along from one school to the other (reciprocal agreement). This is according to an Assistant Superintendent with a private and public background.

Well in Jefferson County the true cost is more like the 8 or 9 thousand dollar number I quoted. Thats what you get if you divide the costs by the number of kids. I still wonder why if a school system is happily allowing one of their students to attend another school out of district and even transferring any "excess" funds not used by this student over to his/her new school, why don't they do that same thing when one of their students elects to attend a private school.

I don't consider them rural counties either.

My point is that the independant city schools and private schools have facilities that are below the county schools in NKY but somehow offset that and still succeed in athletics.

I understand that rural counties might not have the level of facilities that the NKY counties do, but their facilities aren't any worse than the indep. city and private schools in NKY.

I believe facilities are only a tiny part of the equation. Lack of facilities can be overcome and is not, in opinion, a valid excuse.

By the way, to my knowledge there is zero difference between an independent district and county district. Both are state controlled and must adhere to the same policies and rules.

Well in Jefferson County the true cost is more like the 8 or 9 thousand dollar number I quoted. Thats what you get if you divide the costs by the number of kids. I still wonder why if a school system is happily allowing one of their students to attend another school out of district and even transferring any "excess" funds not used by this student over to his/her new school, why don't they do that same thing when one of their students elects to attend a private school.

The $4200 is statewide. If a kid from Oldham Co. decides to go to a Jefferson Co. school, I don't think they can charge $8000 if the ADA's $4200. Hence, average. It turns into $8000 or so if there's no reciprocal agreement because the school district they live in is getting $4200 (of taxes) and the school they're going to gets $4200 (tuition).

"True cost" is a different story. Not sure how that's calculated. I'm sure grants and things for school districts affect the "true cost."

I hear what you are saying LSURock, but that's probably not legal. While transferring from public school to public school, they're still under state dollars. Since Private school are privately funded, a pulic school could not transfer those dollars. If that happened, what a bout home schooled kids, should the schools send that extra money to those parents? see what I mean?

What makes these 10 Public schools so successful in football in the 2000s and can other schools learn anything from them?

(81%) 67-15 Beechwood

(79%) 60-16 Bowling Green

(92%) 81-7 Boyle Co.

(75%) 55-18 Bullitt East

(84%) 73-14 Danville

(65%/ 80%) 56-30, 69-17 Highlands

(75%) 62-20 Hopkinsville

(83%) 68-14 Male

(84%) 68-13 Rockcastle Co.

(79%) 63-17 Russell

I'm sure there are others, but Belfry could be added to the list.

They are 63-19 (77%) in the 2000's with two championships.

They are 48-9 (84%) the last 4 years, 2002-2005.

Also they are a rural county school in every sense of the word. They are part of the Pike County School System, which supports 5 other county high schools.

What are the playoff records of these schools over this time frame?

I'm sure there are others, but Belfry could be added to the list.

They are 63-19 (77%) in the 2000's with two championships.

Also they are a rural county school in every sense of the word. They are part of the Pike County School System, which supports 5 other county high schools.

What are the playoff records of these schools over this time frame?

There are several other public schools that could be added to this list like Belfry. Many have a high win percentage.

I just took the 2000-2004 records and added in the 2005 records trying to keep it around 80%. Some public schools like Mayfield might not be 80% but that is because they play a really tough non-district schedule. Others may have only had one bad year.

The point is these schools seem to have had success on the football field and I was wondering if they have any common things that others may incorporate to make their teams successful.