How do these 10 Public schools win so often?

All Play No Work

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You boys from Highlands better watch out. If the Prop 20 people get their way schools like yours WILL be next. Heaven forbid the people of your community build something to be proud of, that could serve as an example of what a great school can achieve given the proper conditions.

And any county school can do the exact the exact same things (including acepting out of district students) that the independent schools do for the one billionth time.

Everyone knows that those public schools that self-impose artificial limitations on potential students are really the purest of pure and since they choose to do so everyone else should follow suit. :rolleyes: If you don't choose the virtuous path and limit your students to a certain, very stringently defined geographic area then you must be evil, just like the private schools and you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

That's a reach.

How so? Most school boards claim that it costs 8 or 9 thousand dollars a year to educate a child in high school. Independent schools allow a kid to enter their program for around 2 thousand dollars. If the original district makes up the difference it sounds an awful lot like a voucher system. If the district school that receives the student absorbs the difference it sounds like financial aid.

What makes these 10 Public schools so successful in football in the 2000s and can other schools learn anything from them?

(81%) 67-15 Beechwood

(79%) 60-16 Bowling Green

(92%) 81-7 Boyle Co.

(75%) 55-18 Bullitt East

(84%) 73-14 Danville

(65%/ 80%) 56-30, 69-17 Highlands

(75%) 62-20 Hopkinsville

(83%) 68-14 Male

(84%) 68-13 Rockcastle Co.

(79%) 63-17 Russell

Two county schools out of how many counties in KY? I would estimate that they are about 118 couty schools. (Took out Jefferson and Fayette)

I find it real hard to buy into the argument that 2 county schools are working hard and have good coaching while 116 do not.

How so? Most school boards claim that it costs 8 or 9 thousand dollars a year to educate a child in high school. Independent schools allow a kid to enter their program for around 2 thousand dollars. If the original district makes up the difference it sounds an awful lot like a voucher system. If the district school that receives the student absorbs the difference it sounds like financial aid.

Not true at all. The ADA (Average Daily Attendance) rate is the same for all public schools. Therefore, the roughly $4200 that each school receives for a child is either picked up by the student (tuition) or passed along from one school to the other (reciprocal agreement). This is according to an Assistant Superintendent with a private and public background.

Two county schools out of how many counties in KY? I would estimate that they are about 118 couty schools. (Took out Jefferson and Fayette)

I find it real hard to buy into the argument that 2 county schools are working hard and have good coaching while 116 do not.

So..........not to put words in your mouth but are you saying that in addition to privates playing in their own championships, it would be necessary for city public/independents/open enrollments to play in their own championships?

If not, what would be a "fair" solution if you were one of the people told by the BOE to "work it out"?

So..........not to put words in your mouth but are you saying that in addition to privates playing in their own championships, it would be necessary for city public/independents/open enrollments to play in their own championships?

If not, what would be a "fair" solution if you were one of the people told by the BOE to "work it out"?

I am not sure how it should work out. I do feel that before the season begins, MOST maybe up to 90% of the kids in the state DO NOT have a realistic chance to win their district or regionals. And the system is setup to support that. That is wrong. Every kid in a school should have an equal chance as far as the school is concerned and that is not happening.

Kids in Highlands get to play on a great field. Kids in other counties play on converted cow fields. As a teacher that once to see every child have a chance at success, that is a hard pill for me to swallow. Sorry if that offends someone but that is a teacher's heart.

I am not sure how it should work out. I do feel that before the season begins, MOST maybe up to 90% of the kids in the state DO NOT have a realistic chance to win their district or regionals. And the system is setup to support that. That is wrong. Every kid in a school should have an equal chance as far as the school is concerned and that is not happening.

Are these limitations that you speak of being put in place by the KHSAA and being forced down the throats of school districts or are there limitations within the individual school districts that cause this to happen?

Kids in Highlands get to play on a great field. Kids in other counties play on converted cow fields. As a teacher that once to see every child have a chance at success, that is a hard pill for me to swallow. Sorry if that offends someone but that is a teacher's heart.

So then (without putting words in your mouth) for the benefit of the many, the few should be "dumbed down" so that they do not have anything that could be perceived as an advantage over anyone else. If a school has the wherewith all to raise the funds necessary to build a first class athletic facility while at the same time maintaining an extremely high academic success rate, as Highlands does, then I would think that as a teach you would point to that as an example of what a public school, given the right circumstances, can achieve. There will never be complete equity between different schools. Some will have money, some won't. Some will have better facilities then others. That's life.

LBBC, I understand your desire for the kids...every parent should share that as well.

But resentment toward schools who make the things I bolded happen for their students/athletes, shouldn't be penalized because they were able to do so. In trying to make things "fair" for the underprivilaged, one removes the "fairness" of those who worked so hard for themselves.

These arguments remind me so much of the arguments we (BGP'ers) have in the politics forum, with respect to welfare receipients, and tax payers' resentment of subsidizing people on welfare, and other social programs that are funded by tax payers.

So now it's publics vs independents? This was predicted by more than one person. :D

I can understand that.

But while Highlands does have a very nice football field the rest of the facilities are not all that great and basically would be considered "less than average" on the whole.

For example, the gym is small, old, and not a great set-up. No baseball field on campus, track and soccer have to play at an old army training site that is now a city park.

By comparision to other county schools in NKY, the county schools have better facilities than Highlands overall.

LBBC, I understand your desire for the kids...every parent should share that as well.

But resentment toward schools who make the things I bolded happen for their students/athletes, shouldn't be penalized because they were able to do so. In trying to make things "fair" for the underprivilaged, one removes the "fairness" of those who worked so hard for themselves.

These arguments remind me so much of the arguments we (BGP'ers) have in the politics forum, with respect to welfare receipients, and tax payers' resentment of subsidizing people on welfare, and other social programs that are funded by tax payers.

I agree with this and that is why I laugh when someone posts, "welcome to the real life." Trying to balance things out happens EVERY SINGLE DAY in this country.

So now it's publics vs independents? This was predicted by more than one person. :D

I believe I have consistently said that this issue is about making sure EVERYONE is playing on the same equal level and let the kids talent and hard work win out. NOT what some parent has done to create an advantage for their kid.

The following is not addressed to just sticky...

As AWNP as done, I will do. Not to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that we should be telling our students that since your parents do not have the financial means to have you play in leagues outside of the school district, or attend camps, or provide above average facilities, you are just going to have to accept not being on an equal basis with those you are competing against. ACCEPT YOUR PLACE IN SOCIETY.

I have a real problem with that.

I can understand that.

But while Highlands does have a very nice football field the rest of the facilities are not all that great and basically would be considered "less than average" on the whole.

For example, the gym is small, old, and not a great set-up. No baseball field on campus, track and soccer have to play at an old army training site that is now a city park.

By comparision to other county schools in NKY, the county schools have better facilities than Highlands overall.

I would not classify Kenton, Boone or Campbell as true Rural counties. They have parts that are rural but overall they are not rural counties.

I believe I have consistently said that this issue is about making sure EVERYONE is playing on the same equal level and let the kids talent and hard work win out. NOT what some parent has done to create an advantage for their kid.

The following is not addressed to just sticky...

As AWNP as done, I will do. Not to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that we should be telling our students that since your parents do not have the financial means to have you play in leagues outside of the school district, or attend camps, or provide above average facilities, you are just going to have to accept not being on an equal basis with those you are competing against. ACCEPT YOUR PLACE IN SOCIETY.

I have a real problem with that.

But, by the same token, you're saying that because private who've become successful did NOT/ WILL NOT accept what the public schools have decided are the private schools' place in society, they (the private school's) are doing some sort of discredit to the public schools. Truth be told, everyone, public and private, have opportunities to become more successful. And, as in the real world of capitalism, there's an inherant need to chase the successful, not penalize the successful for their achievements.