How do these 10 Public schools win so often?

All Play No Work

I can tell you weren't part of the debate team back in your days at Male. What you got there is a bona fide red herring. I'm not saying that I get to pay or not pay but I am responding to others posts about attending schools out of district and the reciprocal agreements those bodies enjoy. I think that should be extended to all. Afterall, aren't we all just trying to do whats best for the children. :rolleyes:

I know what you were responding to. But reciprocal agreements between neighboring public school systems and tax-funded education vouchers for private schools are two completely different things. After all, the purpose of collecting tax money for schools is to fund public education. How that money is distributed relative to the home address of the student is not in inherent conflict with that purpose. Public funding is not intended to allow people who choose not to take advantage of free public education to effectively "opt out" of paying taxes by means of post facto refund toward the cost of their discretionary private education.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence the word directly in post. :D The answer is none. You do get to vote for who decides on how to spend those tax dollars but not what they are spent on. My argument is that you want your property taxes to be put toward improving the public schools in your area, because the second largest driver of the increase in the value of property is the quality of the local school district. In the last ten years, the amount of property taxes I have paid(and I live in maybe the highest property tax area in the state, we also have the best schools) pales in comparison to the increase in the value of my property. The largest driver of that increase is the local public schools. So you directly do benefit from those tax dollars, even though you don't feel like you are "directing" them toward your child's education.

Sorry, but the school district improving your home's value must not be an iron clad fact. I live in St. Matthews and our property values have skyrocketed in the past ten years, meanwhile Waggener High School isn't setting any records. My property values are more tied to potential commercial use and the fact that we are so close to downtown but offer a suburban feel.

I know what you were responding to. But reciprocal agreements between neighboring public school systems and tax-funded education vouchers for private schools are two completely different things. After all, the purpose of collecting tax money for schools is to fund public education. How that money is distributed relative to the home address of the student is not in inherent conflict with that purpose. Public funding is not intended to allow people who choose not to take advantage of free public education to effectively "opt out" of paying taxes by means of post facto refund toward the cost of their discretionary private education.

Maybe we should all try thinking outside that little box. :thumb:

Sorry, but the school district improving your home's value must not be an iron clad fact. I live in St. Matthews and our property values have skyrocketed in the past ten years, meanwhile Waggener High School isn't setting any records. My property values are more tied to potential commercial use and the fact that we are so close to downtown but offer a suburban feel.

I realize we are way off topic here, but Jefferson county is a little different animal because all the schools merged several years back and the open enrollment issue, so school district is probably not a huge factor in property values. Because you can live anywhere in Jefferson Co. and go to any school. Although I have to say where I live, we pay almost 150% more in property taxes than residents of Jefferson Co., just to the local school district, not including city and county tax. People move to the area I live in, specifically for the local schools, nearly number one reason. Property values have consistently increased more than surrounding areas for that reason. As I stated local school district is one of the largest factors in why people move. Not always the largest factor but one of them. Jefferson Co. does have some very good schools, including Male, Manual, Butler, Ballard, Brown.