Zero Jobs In August

cammando

Does anyone really think that if the Tea Party Repulicans or any other type of Republican is elected as president next year, that the economy will experience some sort of quick turnaround?

Rarely can politicians do much to improve the business environment. But they can do a lot to hurt to it. Witness the last 2 1/2 years as evidence.

Until we stop letting so many jobs go overseas or across our border, there wont be much of a job increase. There is only so many jobs and things to do. If jobs are created they get sent to India, China, Mexico. Cant say I blame the businesses for it, but our government has to do something to rein it in.

You have to create an environment that allows businesses to be as profitable here as outside of our boarders. Until then no jobs. Companies aren't in business to make sure Americans have a job. They are in business to make money, period. If they make more money by manufacturing in China, India, Mexico, or the moon that's what they are going to do. Either the government does something with the tax structure to make it more attractive to manufacturer here or they have to put tariffs on imported goods to level the playing field. Otherwise you will continue to see Made In China on most of what you buy.

Not sure why Congress yet again gets a free pass on this

OK, both houses of Congress were controlled by Democrats from January 2007 to January 2011. This included a super majority in the Senate from January 2007 until the death of Sen. Kennedy in August of 2009. In 2009 they passed the health care take over act over the objections of most business leaders. In 2010 The completely Democratic controlled Congress failed to passed a Federal budget. That gave businesses no confidence.

Now Congress is mostly deadlocked with split controlled houses and leaders who clearly can not work well together. So not much will happen in legislation. But the administration continues to issue edicts via the Administration controlled departments. I have not hear of many businesses praise what is coming from these departments lately.

The hole is very deep. There is no quick fix at this point. And fixing can not wait until 2013.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/usgovernment/l/bl_party_division_2.htm

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/104635-dems-wont-pass-budget

I'm tired of the finger-pointing. Democrats and Republicans aren't immune from the shape Washington is in. The fingerpointing is why Congress doesn't get along and it's why nothing gets done in Washington.
Very true, but finger pointing doesn't just get done on this board. The Republicans constantly do it, the Democrats constantly do it and the president has done it since his first day in office and continues to do so. Time to clean house.

It's time to do away with political parties. You vote for candidate A or candidate B because of what they can deliver and stand for and not what political party they belong to. Eliminating cable news networks would be a step forward also. Political gridlock in this country can be traced back to the emergence of cable "news" networks picking a party to piggyback on.

In my position as head of household a few years ago, I decided that my sons should be responsible for mowing our yard. I had a lot of things to oversee in my household and felt like they could handle working together to get the yard mowed. One month later, the grass is high. Son A says it's B's turn to mow it. Son B says he's mowed it three times in a row and son A needs to step up and mow. Two more weeks pass and the grass is getting higher. I decide that since they can't work together to get the grass mowed, I'll pay the boy down the street to mow it. So now the wife gets involved and questions why I'm paying the boy down the street to mow our yard when we have two healthy capable sons of doing their job, but not working together. Three weeks later and the grass is getting high again. Now, the in-laws visit and the first question they ask is why I haven't mowed the yard and why it looks bad.

In the overall, the yard belongs to me. But my sons were given the task of keeping it mowed. They couldn't work together. I developed another plan that involved spending money and got roasted for it by the wife. And at the end of the day, it's my fault that the yard isn't mowed.

Like me and yardwork, Presidents get too much credit when the economy is thriving and too much blame when it tanks. Meanwhile, the grass in my yard is high and my sons are at the beach playing volleyball because their mother said it was OK.

These so called politicians should run to help America and Americans, not themselves and their self-interest. They have let America get into the shape we are in today due to personal agendas. They need to finally come together and get us back on track. Democrats and Republicans are still Americans and should have the best interest for all at this time.

It's time to do away with political parties. You vote for candidate A or candidate B because of what they can deliver and stand for and not what political party they belong to....

I do not disagree at all. I have not statistics but it would be interesting to see if the number of 'party-line' votes has increased a lot in the last decade. It feels like it has. Many, if not most, national level politicians seem to be overly beholding to the party.

Do you really think today is any different than what Americans thought about politicians and political parties during other times of difficulty in our history?

The differences of the Federalist and the Democractic-Republican Parties of the early 1800's? Or the gap between parties that led to the disapperance of the Whig Party and the creation of the Republicans in 1854 and their first run in the Presidential election of 1856. That set the stage for the vast differences between the Republicans and Democrats that led to the Civil War?

What about the differences of the 2 parties during FDR's time in office? The parties are not going away. Remember that when our Constitution was first put into effect the winner of the Presidential election became President and the second place finisher became VP. If we still had that set-up, John McCain would be our VP. But the political parties got their start and after the 1800 election, the way we chose the President and VP was changed by a Constitutional amendment.

Political parties may change, but will have them for better and worse.